Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 11:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to convert a foreign license to indian license

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
...Er, there is no International Driving License. There is an International Driving Permit, which I mentioned above, but it is not a licence -- it is a translation of your valid licence, which you need to carry anyway.
My bad! Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
I have now got concrete information from the Hyderabad RTO...but my trip to India lasts for 3 weeks at a time which doesn't give me the required time to go through the process.
Am not sure if this will help you, but I was able to show my Dubai license to the RTO and he waived of the 1 month learning period and asked me to come back after a week, after studying the road signs. Went back after a week, did the road test and got my license.

Meet the RTO in person and request if this can be done.
Old 2nd July 2014, 22:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
My bad! Thanks for the correction.

Am not sure if this will help you, but I was able to show my Dubai license to the RTO and he waived of the 1 month learning period and asked me to come back after a week, after studying the road signs. Went back after a week, did the road test and got my license.

Meet the RTO in person and request if this can be done.
Appreciate the info Happy Wheels , will definitely try this route as it makes my job a lot easier , time is the stumbling block in my case and your post gives me hope , did you have to try hard or was this a known option in RTO ?.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
... did you have to try hard or was this a known option in RTO ?.
Did not have to try hard to convince or anything - told him I already have a valid Dubai license and showed it to him. He had a look and then wrote a note on my learners' license.

Wasn't a known option. Nothing to lose, so went ahead and asked. Reckon it might be up to the RTO's discretion.

All the best.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:09   #19
BHPian

My brother had a similar situation. He had valid Indian two wheeler licence, but not the light vehicle. We submitted a letter to Kerala MVD stating that he obtained the light vehicle licence from UAE and requesting them to endorse the light vehicle category in the licence. The licence was issued by Kerala MVD in two days. No hassles at all.
Old 9th June 2017, 21:53   #20
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/51479988.cms

Saw this news article that states NRIs who have foreign licenses can automatically get an Indian driving license after paying a fee of Rs.550. They dont even need to apply for a learner's permit . All they have to do is pay the fee, show the foreign license and then get the Indian license. Personally that would be very convenient for me. Any forum members have any experience of this ?
Old 8th September 2019, 08:19   #21

Hi Gautam

I have done the conversion from an Australian license to Indian license in Pune many years ago. You will need to go to RTO with a handwritten application requesting conversion of your foreign license and see the Asst Road transport Officer who will endorse your application and then advise you on payments etc that need to be made. It is a very simple process. Just go to Block C in the main building and ask for the Asst RTO.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Old 27th August 2020, 20:17   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hello since I got my TeamBHP approval I was looking for this thread. I am from Bangalore and my Indian license expired in 2001 so don’t think there is any chance of renewing the same. I am a resident of Dubai and would like to get my Indian license based on my UAE license. What are the current rules or procedures for getting my license? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 17:50   #23
BHPian

Sorry for the necrobump, but I thought this might be useful for others who search for this information.
It's now only possible to get an LMV license based on a foreign DL if you don't hold any existing Indian DL for any other class. For example, if you have a 2 wheeler license in India already, you can't add the LMV eligibility on top of it by providing a foreign DL. I tried this and was told it isn't possible. I enquired in 2022 and found this information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks