Team-BHP - More Sales or Less Sales
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   More Sales or Less Sales (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/79187-more-sales-less-sales-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1827853)
Buyers of unpopular/lesser selling models will obviously vote for "Less" and then cite "Exclusivity" as the reason. :D.

The fact is, to me it doesn't really matter whether the car i own sells more or less, as long as the spare part availability, maintainance and general performance/reliability of the car is good and acceptable.

So i won't vote. :)

Did someone force those people to buy the unpopular models? Nope. Of course they were bought them for exclusivity and the chance to own a car that offers something that 'popular' cars can only dream about. I own one of each so I am not voting either. :) But I do feel good about driving a car that I have seen exactly THRICE only on the roads till now. My car gets an awful lot of stares. Some may be thinking I am a fool, but I still like the attention. :D

PS: 2 of the 3 cars that I have seen till now belong to fellow TBHP-ians! lol

i have voted for more sales for the following reasons-
1) i buy my car for myself & not for others. so i dont care whether its exclusive or whether it makes heads turn.
2) resale value would be better.
3) if the car is a segment topper, then there should be something good about the car, it will be generally reliable & low maintainence.
4) spare parts availability wont be an issue for the next many years.

I voted for more. More Cars = Better peace of mind (in general). I make my car exclusive by keeping it in topmost condition and taking care of it very well. And usually when you buy a new car, you are not very sure if the car would be a success or a flop.

-Biju

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1827853)
Buyers of unpopular/lesser selling models will obviously vote for "Less" and then cite "Exclusivity" as the reason. :D.

Similarly buyers of popular/more selling car will vote for "More" and then cite "product superiority" as the reason since. Majority went for it and majority cannot be wrong :D

By the way there are many guys going against the most popular car just cause its common. If you are talking about Fiat, everyone know before hand what they are buying and know very well that its not going to be common!!! (read as, parked 10-12 already in your society or office next to yours).

For me exclusive is (in India) Ferrari or Lambo or say a Hummer and common = Maruti!!! There is nothing wrong in buying a popular car. Similarly I don't see anything wrong in buying a unpopular car, unless you are thinking of servicing it on a grocery shop!!

Talking about Exclusivity, this so called exclusivity exists more in the *mind* of the person than anything else. Its a psychological state.

The fact is, even if you feel that you or your car is exclusive on the road and people give a "second glance", will not make any real difference to you or your life.
It is not going to affect your chances of promotion at work, it won't really make you become richer, or that it will land you up with your dream job, or you will get your dream girl/man... and so on, if you get the drift. :)

More than exclusivity, its the ownership experience which counts in the end.

P.S. Not pointing in anyway to any specific car manufacturer or user.

If someone feels happy about owning a car which is not commonly seen on road like other cars and feels "exclusive" whats wrong in that? After all what counts is "How much happy you are with your car". Ownership experience cannot be guessed or gauged by reading comments (good or bad) about a product by someone else who is owning it. The best way to get ownership experience is by owning one.

If you are happy with product from "X" company, good for you and if I'm happy with product from "Y" company, good for me :)

Sells less or more, who cares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1828143)
Talking about Exclusivity, this so called exclusivity exists more in the *mind* of the person than anything else. Its a psychological state.
The fact is, even if you feel that you or your car is exclusive on the road and people give a "second glance", will not make any real difference to you or your life.
It is not going to affect your chances of promotion at work, it won't really make you become richer, or that it will land you up with your dream job, or you will get your dream girl/man... and so on, if you get the drift. :)

No offense but this is the "just living a life" mentality. Some people have the "living my life" mentality. I guess that's where the difference comes.

Forget all that, what if someone feels more happy when he has the feeling of exclusivity? It's a noble thing and no-one is affected because of it. Just like using a popular car/product.

The world wouldn't have prospered if every one had just the same perception about things. Want some car, want some house to stay, some food, some job and so on and so forth, because nothing really matters. Hope you got the drift.

just my 2.5 cents

I voted for More.

A less popular or less sold vehicle makes an extremely good buy in the second hand car market. But apart from this, there really isn't any objective benefit in going for a vehicle that's rare on the roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 1828143)

Having a car that gets you a second glance may do nothing for you, but it sure does something for me and countless others. Different kinds of people make up this world with different kinds of wants and feelings. Otherwise we would still be swinging on trees all wanting the same banana.

Exclusivity is part of the ownership experience for ME.

I voted for less as long as the car fail to make sales not because it is a bad product but because of other reasons like brand perception resale value etc.As far as my car GP is concerned ,I didn't expect this car to be seen on the road like alto or swift before buying it.What I did Know was that, this is a car that was a huge success in europe and proved already.I am a very satisfied customer of GP so far and yea the feeling of exclusivity is something unique

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1828677)
This has to be one of the more hilarious posts I have read here. Having a car that gets you a second glance may do nothing for you, but it sure does something for me and countless others. Different kinds of people make up this world with different kinds of wants and feelings. Otherwise we would still be swinging on trees all wanting the same banana. You are happy with a banana so go enjoy it. No need to pass judgement on people who prefer mangoes or watermelons. I hope you get my drift? And exclusivity is part of the ownership experience for ME. Do you wish to contest that?

There is no way anyone can contest what you said, but maybe take offense at being called a monkey, quite craftily I must say.

I am amused by the fact that DCEite said "Its a psychological state", which is correct, then drove home the point by saying something which is quite obvious, that anything Psychological can never (usually) have a material implications. Unfortunately the final statement about ownership experience, didn't add up. Chiefly due to the fact that ownership experience does have a psychological component to it. Atleast it is for a majority of us at teambhp, where we know and are passionate about cars.

Couldn't decide on which one to vote.

I've own a Suzuki Fiero, Ford Ikon and Fiesta (Petrols). NONE of them were/are sales hits in comparison to their competition.

Here's my take,After owning such vehicles in the past 6 years it will make me a bit uncomfortable to be seen in a high volume seller. Not that it's bad. I mean, what's wrong in seeing a lot of people vindicating my choice? But then I was able to get exclusivity at such a low price earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1828558)
The world wouldn't have prospered if every one had just the same perception about things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilead (Post 1828677)
Different kinds of people make up this world with different kinds of wants and feelings. Otherwise we would still be swinging on trees all wanting the same banana.

You wrote exactly what I was thinking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by A K C (Post 1828853)
and yea the feeling of exclusivity is something unique

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amartya (Post 1829143)
Chiefly due to the fact that ownership experience does have a psychological component to it.

You bet!
And for exclusivity, you don't need to to be super rich. You can very well be exclusive within your own economic class.

Talking about super rich people, you can find the very same 2 kinds attitude there too. Some folks have enough and more money to feed few generations ahead but they are living a mediocre life, still toiling everyday make more and more money until they die, and some are living their life with the richness they are blessed with! (Example, couple of super car owners here in team-bhp itself)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 1829230)
After owning such vehicles in the past 6 years it will make me a bit uncomfortable to be seen in a high volume seller.

Same here too.

Exclusivity and there fore less sales for me. Bangalore roads are clogged by i10s,Swifts and Honda Citys. I hate to see cars of same make, same model, same color going side by side or parked. Resale is not a bother for me since I don't buy cars thinking of selling them. Also i hate herd mentality to the core.