Team-BHP - Kia Motors in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Kia Motors in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/79457-kia-motors-india.html)

Guys,

Some one posted in techenclave that he saw a test mule probably of Kia Cerato
KIA MOTORS launching in india soon - Auto Zone | TechEnclave

Can anybody confirm this? The 2.0L Cerato looks like a very interesting mid-range performance sedan..

This is interesting. I have been hearing these rumors since 2006 but nothing concrete has happened so far. Glued to this thread for more updates and sneak peeks.

Inst Hyundai the owner of Kia motors too? I would imagine that if this is the case then I see no sense unless the cars are even more cheaper than what Hyundai makes.

Now, KIA is partially owned by Hyundai. It is probably going to be sold under the Hyundai brand name. Probably targetting the Linea, Cruze or the City sales.

The front, more or less, reminds me of the current City. The rear, an IS350. :confused: Overall it looks good.

Few pics for the lazy ones..

At the 10L+ segment brand image counts a lot especially in India. Even Hyundai has a tough time in selling its Elantra and above models in India. If KIA enters with a car asking for more than 10L I would imagine it would have a tough time.

Kia wouldnt make it to India mainly because it shares platforms with Hyundais. It could probably be a test mule for the next-gen Elantra. Wouldn't make sense to establish a new brand among the current crop in this segment

this is intersting. Hyundai does not have sucess in the >10L market with any of their models. I am not sure if there is really space for a new entrant in the market with so many established players struggling for space.

I rented a Kia Spectra when I went to US and gave it back within 4 hours - Car was THAT bad. (The car was new!)

Kia is one brand that I can do without in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer (Post 1835978)
I rented a Kia Spectra when I went to US and gave it back within 4 hours - Car was THAT bad. (The car was new!)

I think you are 100% correct. Kia Spectra is replaced by Kia Forte in US which is also known as Kia Cerato.

Brand name and image plays a major role when it comes to 10+Lakh segment. But Hyundai might get "Kia Spectra" to fill up space left by Elantra.

Hyundai/Kia has mastered the art of copying Honda's design!!

Quote:

+1 - So true that Kia cars (whatever I have seen & driven a few) werent of good quality at all - Not much power, poor build quality, etc ... :)

Prem.

Quote:

Whoa!! Something similar here. I rented a Kia Forte from Hertz in US and had to drive it for nearly 2 months. I couldn't wait to get back to India and drive my Palio again :-(

The car has all nice features, but the drive quality is leaves a lot to be desired. I hope not to see this car in India

KIA's self claimed luxury sedan Opirus is such a sucking yucky design!

New generation MOHAVE , Sorento SUVs and Soul crossover/Hatch are better built. clap:

Hyundai's sontata with exterior design change is sold by KIA Optima

in any case in India, KIA's badge reputation cannot get better / higher than Hyundai:deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by harimakesh (Post 1836417)
KIA's self claimed luxury sedan Opirus is such a sucking yucky design!

New generation MOHAVE , Sorento SUVs and Soul crossover/Hatch are better built. clap:

Hyundai's sontata with exterior design change is sold by KIA Optima

in any case in India, KIA's badge reputation cannot get better / higher than Hyundai:deadhorse

+1 to that.

I had the opportunity to drive 2 KIA vehicles - once a KIA rio as a accident loaner, again a KIA rio on a 6+6 hours drive(!!), and a KIA rondo for 10-12 miles.
The cars are just BASIC, and can serve as point A to B vehicles. Thats it. I clearly remember that the rio had cheaper interior than my i10.

P.S : Once KIA rio used to cost so less, that the dealers gave away one free if you bought a luxury car from them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 1836586)
+1 to that.

I had the opportunity to drive 2 KIA vehicles - once a KIA rio as a accident loaner, again a KIA rio on a 6+6 hours drive(!!), and a KIA rondo for 10-12 miles.
The cars are just BASIC, and can serve as point A to B vehicles. Thats it. I clearly remember that the rio had cheaper interior than my i10.

P.S : Once KIA rio used to cost so less, that the dealers gave away one free if you bought a luxury car from them!

Agree RIO is cheapest KIA sedan.
Hyundai i10 is tweaked and sold as KIA piccanto.
IIRC KIA is a fully owned Hyundai subsidiary company.

What Hyundai could not achieve under their badge cannot be sold under KIA badge to Indian market.

We welcome any decision of Hyundai wanting to introduce KIA as a Total economy brand 20-30% cheaper to Hyundai prices to sell full range of KIA sportage /MOHAVE/Sorento/Soul/Cerato models to Indian marketclap: