Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 17:11   #61
Senior - BHPian

Car or house be it anything, try to pay in full & avoid interest. When I bought my WagonR that did 16K in 2.5 years, I'd paid 2.14 out of my pocket & was offered 1L loan for Rs 2300 EMI for 60 months. End of 1 year I realized my foolishness 'cause the EMI was around 1/20th of my drawing at that time & if I could've waited 2-3 months more when I bought the car, I could've taken it without a loan. Hence after an year I closed the loan. I paid around 86K for foreclosure including the 1 or 2% charges apart from the interest paid for an year.
Lesson learnt - Patience pays, impatience pays with interest

The day I closed the loan, I felt like, I got relieved from everything. Again, I went by what I wanted rather than anything else. Is there a downside ? Yes, I feel very difficult to replace & I don't feel like exchanging it for a newer models.

Last edited by aargee : 24th April 2010 at 17:17.
Old 24th April 2010, 17:19   #62
BHPian

A thumb rule i picked up somewhere and find fairly agreeable is that the cost of the car you own should be 50% of your annual salary

So at an annual salary of Rs 15 L p.a, you should be owning a car of 7.5 L, of course other liabilities permitting this expense!
Old 24th April 2010, 18:17   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
IMHO what you are is not defined by what you drive.
Its defined by how you drive it.
Beautiful words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
A thumb rule i picked up somewhere and find fairly agreeable is that the cost of the car you own should be 50% of your annual salary
I did a quick check for myself and most of my friends. What I realised is that while non of us really looked at % of salary as a yardstick the car we were most comfortable with cost us about 1/3 to 1/4 of our annual salary. Then again we are all family men so there are other presures on our income.

Last edited by navin : 24th April 2010 at 18:18.
Old 24th April 2010, 20:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Then again we are all family men so there are other presures on our income.
Other pressures are sometimes due to additional hobbies/interests too. Consider a person passionate about cars, audio/video, photography, watches ... the percentage allocation would depend upon the balance he strikes between these.

I normally end up stretching to buy beyond my means. While I advise most people not to do so, when it comes to me I tend to spend weeks and months on calculations and then take the risk knowingly. Not a wise thing to do, but that's how I am
Old 24th April 2010, 20:46   #65
BHPian

Well guys the ongoing discussion is great. Once again the kind of car one picks up will vary from city to city. In a city like Mumbai a Rs. 50,000/- monthly take home might only translate to an i10/ Swift while in a tier 2 city this could be a Honda city.!! We very much need to factor the place we live in.
Old 24th April 2010, 21:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

This thread is ending up to be rather depressing. If anyone from car companies is reading this threa, they might ending up changing professions
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2010, 22:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

I have NOT read the whole thread, BUT am putting down my perceptions any which way ! The car/s you own are based on what you can afford & most importantly, what you aspire to own.

There are times in life when one has reached a "certain stage" where fulfilling one's passions- be it house, car/s, music systems or anything for that matter is important. Afterall why do we earn ? So that we can look after our families AND fulfill any desires we aspire to - right ?

So what you earn & more importantly what you save will decide what you buy.

Wisdom

I for one started out with a modded Lancer, coz at that point in time I thought that was the right thing to do. I got ripped by unscruplous people is another matter.

Go with your heart AND your head.

Buy what you can afford & "ENJOY" it. That to me is the most important thing.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2010, 23:07   #68
BHPian

Hi
My idea goes like this
1. The total cost should not exceed your annual salary
2. Per month EMI including fuel should not exceed 10percent of your monthly income. So if your monthly income is 50000 than your emi should be around 5000 to 6000 rupees. If you are looking at a bigger vehicle than save the money on the down payment so that your emi works out to the desired range. But compromising to buy a vehicle to fit your budget without saving up for the down payment in a hurry might not work as you cant enjoy what you have not desired.
3. Plus depends on your present commitments.
Buddy we can plan for the future but we can never expect things to go our way all the time. So all the best.
Cheers.
Old 25th April 2010, 00:26   #69
BHPian

everyone listen and keep in mind the following thumb rule.

"if you can pay off the car loan in 3 years you can afford that car."

its that simple!! no ifs and buts. so if you can pay for it during this period than you can certainly afford it or else its expensive for you. it may be a nano to a mercedes benz S class!

Last edited by Caramelo : 25th April 2010 at 00:29.
Old 25th April 2010, 01:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Buy what you can afford & "ENJOY" it. That to me is the most important thing.
+1 to that. I'd rather stretch a bit for something I'll enjoy than spend a tad less and end up with daily 'what-ifs'.
Old 25th April 2010, 14:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

these are coming from my financial planner.
  1. Never buy a liability on borrowed money. We might want to call a car an asset, but its an asset whose value keeps on depreciating, and hence id call it a liability.
  2. The total cost of the car should not be more than half of your annual salary. e.g: if your sal is 12 lacs p.a you should buy a car which fits within 6 lacs.
cheers,
ac
Old 25th April 2010, 15:49   #72
BHPian

Many of the 20+ cars which we see on the roads are bought as company assets and hence even though it deppreaciates, they can get tax exempt!.

But as an individual buyer , I agree with the above posts. I would not want to take out a loan on a car which is more than half my salary, because there is no guarantee that we will have an annual salary tomorrow. And if that happens it becomes a BIG liability.
Old 25th April 2010, 16:23   #73
oss
BHPian

I too go with 'half the annual salary' thumb rule. Whether it is half the annual gross or net salary depends on how aggressive/conservative you are and how much of other financial committment you have.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

There has been a lot of theories lot of arguments. Myself being a bachelor and practically no financial pressure from my family I would personally buy cars in this order.
take home
3L- Spark Ps
4L- Astar Vxi
5L- Swift Lxi
8L - Fiesta 1.6
15L- Skoda Laura
25+ ----BMW

Well looks like 1yr take home salary is my budget. Surely for a family man it should be 6 months salary.
Personally I will never opt for loan to buy a car. And I advice all my friends as well to stay away from loans.

Last edited by oxyzen : 25th April 2010 at 20:29.
Old 26th April 2010, 08:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

Well, I see one common advice pouring in stating, that the cost of the car should not be more than half of the annual salary.

Well, about 2 years ago, I'd plans to buy an Innova or Scorp by 2011 end & have been saving money regulary to buy without any loan & hence the patience meditation for almost 5 years. If I buy one, that would be buying a car that is more than my annual CTC.

So, I would slightly put it this way, the car loan should not be more than half of the annual salary. Is that incorrect?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks