Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2005, 13:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Delphi RIP! Edit: Not really...

Delphi has filed for chapter 11.
The announcement lead to tumbling down of GM stock by 10%. If the company is broken up, it may deal a fatal blow to GM, therefore they are trying hard to salvage whatever they can.
Even Tata Dicor comes under a cloud. Looks like TATA chose the wrong company to partner with.
Old 12th October 2005, 14:00   #2
BHPian

that sure is some news....
i had been in the assumption that delphi has some real sound financial policies.... but hey, it seems they just are a bunch of techies with not much business acumen.. guys.. if i've offended someone... please pardon me...
ak
Old 12th October 2005, 14:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
it seems they just are a bunch of techies with not much business acumen..
It was the unions, actually...read up on the Delphi bankruptcy and you will realise the role of the trade unions.
Old 12th October 2005, 15:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
It was the unions, actually...read up on the Delphi bankruptcy and you will realise the role of the trade unions.
i just read through the news article, i'm sorry for not having made that before i posted on the thread...

ak
Old 12th October 2005, 15:42   #5

sad because they had already outsourced quite a few jobs to India. If i remember right almost 100 million dollars revenue was being accrued from india itself. Its asia-pac revenue was almost 1 billion. But i guess things came a little too late for Delphi to reinvent itself. According to the news reports, GM might opt in and restructure and elect to pay some of the benefits. This would mean that 90% of Delphi's development post bankruptcy (if it survives) might come from asia pac including india.
Old 12th October 2005, 17:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

not much cause of concern for the indian subsidiary, actually; there has been a follow up news, which quoted all the worldwide subsidiaries of delphi, saying that they will not be affected.

which means, in a nutshell- the indian subsidiary is safe, and is also expecting fresh infusion of a bucketload of funds within the next year; and also, the U.S division is expected to be up and bouncing within a year....tata, should be heaving a sigh of relief...
Old 13th October 2005, 03:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Delphi is not dead yet people. Its just under supervision and bank financing. This a good thing in the States where the company doesnt go down so early.

I have read the Delphi was in trouble since the beginning when GM made it an independent unit.
Old 13th October 2005, 11:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
This a good thing in the States where the company doesnt go down so early.
Yeah the US of A is probably the only country where a company declares itself bankrupt and continues doing business...look at all those 'bankrupt' airlines!

They usually file Bankrupt more for protection than to cease doing business. Usually it means protection from overzealous unions.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th October 2005 at 11:07.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:06   #9
BHPian

Reviving an Old Thread - But i just came across this one and realised 3yrs on and Delphi is still in Chapter 11....

A friend of mine working with the company thinks 2009 will be the final straw for Delphi USA and the rest of the group might be bought out by Bosch...
Old 10th December 2008, 20:46   #10
BHPian

Chapter-11 is just a painful process to revive the company & Business. The business (Production & Sales) will continue as usual, only restructuring will happen, like mass lay-offs. FYI the famous Hersheys Chocolate company filed Chapter-11 not once or twice but thrice and many more famous brands have filed Bankrupt and regained a top slot.

Without Delphi - BOSCH will monopoly the industry.
Old 7th October 2009, 06:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

It appears the reports of Delphi's demise have been greatly exaggerated
Delphi exits bankruptcy | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th October 2009 at 06:44.
Old 7th October 2009, 08:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

The topic is very misleading in today's context. Can moderators please change the heading to something more appropriate?
Old 7th October 2009, 10:03   #13
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep the thread header needs a revision.

Actually the mods must be constantly reviewing the various thread headers from the past threads in recent context.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks