Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 21:54   #1
BHPian

What discounts you got?

Hi Everybody,

I want to know what are the maximum discounts which you have got while buying your new cars. As generally is the trend, some items in the market are overpriced for MRP, and then discounts are offered to lure customers. E.g. The case with cloth retail chains in India these days like Koutons.

Surely in Indian car market, there are many cars which are overpriced like the ones especially from Hyundai, Honda, VW, Skoda, MB, BMW among others. I do not say all cars from these brands are that way but some of them are surely so. But I have generally seen discounts on cars which are not actually considered overpriced in the first place.

E.g. Maruti offers lots of discounts on its cars wiz WagonR, Estilo, A-Star, SX4. On the other hand, you will rarely see any discounts from Honda. So it may boil down to the car sales. The duds may be usually available on the discounts while hot selling car not. That also doesnt hold true for cars like WagonR, i10 etc. So I think it may ultimately be the demand-supply and company strategy or slew of other factors.

When I bought my Hyunai i10 in Nov 2008, I got almost 45000 worth of discounts as under -

1. Exchange Bonus - Rs. 15000 /- (I didn't sell my car to Hyundai, just I gave them the copy of RC book that the earlier car has been sold to buy i10.)
2. Corporate Bonus - Rs. 2000 /-. I think this is fairly expected at all times in year.
3. Registration - Rs. 7500 /-
4. Insurance - Rs. 10500 /-
5. Fuel Coupons - Rs. 2800 /-
6. Sony HU - Rs. 5000 /-
7. Front Sony Speakers - Rs. 1000 /- App.
8. Remote Locking - Rs. 2000/- My guess.
9. Floor mats, mud flaps, perfume, Car cover etc. - Rs. 1000 /- App.

Would like to hear the story from you. It may also benefit me in my potential car purchase 6 moths down.
Old 29th April 2010, 08:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

This discount thing always confuses me! Even after these big discounts, if dealership can make profit, imagine the money they make without offering discounts!

Quote:
1. Exchange Bonus - Rs. 15000 /- (I didn't sell my car to Hyundai, just I gave them the copy of RC book that the earlier car has been sold to buy i10.)
this again confused me! Since you have sold existing car, they offer discount! One you had sold was a Hyundai too?

currently , Is it same with otehr car dealers as well?
Old 29th April 2010, 08:33   #3
BHPian

^^^its more like loyalty bonus.
Old 29th April 2010, 09:26   #4
BHPian

Almost 1L on Innova.
Dont remember the exact details.
It was the outgoing model and I bought Innova in December (Year-End discounts), so heavy discounts were offered.
almost 60-65k was cash, rest was Insurance and some accessories.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:15   #5
BHPian

85k on Palio Sport in 2006. There were rumors going round of 1.6 being discontinued. I always loved the car, so never complained about the discount.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Hi Everybody,

I want to know what are the maximum discounts which you have got while buying your new cars. As generally is the trend, some items in the market are overpriced for MRP, and then discounts are offered to lure customers. E.g. The case with cloth retail chains in India these days like Koutons.

Surely in Indian car market, there are many cars which are overpriced like the ones especially from Hyundai, Honda, VW, Skoda, MB, BMW among others. I do not say all cars from these brands are that way but some of them are surely so. But I have generally seen discounts on cars which are not actually considered overpriced in the first place.

E.g. Maruti offers lots of discounts on its cars wiz WagonR, Estilo, A-Star, SX4. On the other hand, you will rarely see any discounts from Honda. So it may boil down to the car sales. The duds may be usually available on the discounts while hot selling car not. That also doesnt hold true for cars like WagonR, i10 etc. So I think it may ultimately be the demand-supply and company strategy or slew of other factors.

When I bought my Hyunai i10 in Nov 2008, I got almost 45000 worth of discounts as under -

2. Corporate Bonus - Rs. 2000 /-. I think this is fairly expected at all times in year.
3. Registration - Rs. 7500 /-
4. Insurance - Rs. 10500 /-
5. Fuel Coupons - Rs. 2800 /-
6. Sony HU - Rs. 5000 /-
7. Front Sony Speakers - Rs. 1000 /- App.
8. Remote Locking - Rs. 2000/- My guess.
9. Floor mats, mud flaps, perfume, Car cover etc. - Rs. 1000 /- App.

Would like to hear the story from you. It may also benefit me in my potential car purchase 6 moths down.
Maruti would generally offer discounts on their cars in-order to keep their sales high (even if these drop, I doubt their market position is in danger anytime soon !); This is because of the competition from other manufacturers.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

wow gupta_chd - pretty deep discounts there!!!

What I got is:

4000/- corporate discount
16500/- appx 1st year insurance
2500/- appx 3rd year extended warranty

for my i10 in September 2009.

And this is what ALL dealers in Kolkata stuck to.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
this again confused me! Since you have sold existing car, they offer discount! One you had sold was a Hyundai too?

currently , Is it same with otehr car dealers as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
^^^its more like loyalty bonus.
The car which I sold was Maruti 800 and I didn't actually sell it, just got it transferred to my friend's name. It is still with me.

Also, the discount was from Hyundai, not from dealer. The cheque had directly come from Hyundai, so I guess it should be same with all the dealers.
Old 29th April 2010, 11:15   #9
BHPian

Currentely there is discount in Linea MJD E-pack in B'lore.
On Insurance 15978/-,Extended Warrenty 5300/-,Corp disc 15000/- Total amt:36278/-
Avoiding handling chagres 5000/-
Old 29th April 2010, 12:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

I got following discount on my Punto MJD:

1. Free first year insurance: 18K
2. Free Road side assistance for 50 months: 5K
3. Free extended warranty: 5K
4. Corporate discount: 8K
5. For 2010 model extra pay: 6K
6. Got car at older price (Before excise duty hike) even after budget as the car was available with dealer before excise hike. This saved my almost 15K. This is not part of any discount as such.

Total discount: 18 +5 + 5 + 8 - 6 = 30K (And 15K monetary savings #6)
Old 29th April 2010, 14:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

just a query on dealer margin on a car. How much does a dealer and car make profit on a car. Lets take some common cars like say Swift,i10 and Figo?

I can understand a discount on outgoing model but the dealer offering such a huge discount on existing model!
Old 29th April 2010, 14:24   #12

Got an I10 sportz AT in april 2010
4K corporate
16k cash (i.e. in place of the free insurance) dealer was offering free 1st year insurance I asked for a cash discount instead as Tata Aig gave me a quote of 11k where as the dealer was quoting 16k for insurance. I took the insurance directly from Tata Aig
3.5k for remote locking
Old 29th April 2010, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

My Alto Lxi, bought almost 2 years back:
Cash discount: 20k
I could have got another 10k if I had opted for exchange and an ICICI loan.
(Un)fortunately I couldn't opt for exchange / loan.

My cousin is a dealer in car accessories, so I had pressed for max cash discount without any 'accessory freebies'.
I went for "Power Windows / Sun Film / Number Plate / Remote Locking / Seat Cover" with this amount from my cousin's shop.

Though I got 20k discount, they showed only 15k cash discount in my invoice. (They said other dealers would complain against them if they show more discounts in writing).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 29th April 2010 at 14:57.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car which I sold was Maruti 800 and I didn't actually sell it, just got it transferred to my friend's name. It is still with me.

Also, the discount was from Hyundai, not from dealer. The cheque had directly come from Hyundai, so I guess it should be same with all the dealers.
Quote:
I am surprised. Are you saying that you got exchange bonus for selling a Maruti and buying a Hyundai? Meaning Hyundai will give exchange bonus if I sell any car and buy a Hyundai? That sounds great.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:49   #15
BHPian

For my SX4 VVT got the following discounts
Cash discount: 25K
Exchange Bonus: 25K
Corporate Discount: 4K
Total 54k discount on purchase of SX4 (March 2010)
Misc freebies

Most Viewed