Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:22   #151
BANNED

While i appreciate the effort people have put in this thread but i feel when we drive a car we come to know about it .We come to realize how to have fun in harmony .So a car may have better 0-100 , 100-0 , ABS , EBD etc etc but we can never quantify cars like this and say this is better than that .
I would say for safety handling is prime most important (ABS , EBD , TCS etc helps ) but before all those the car has been helping us .We cannot quantify this .

Eg We can drive Verna , City , Linea , SX4 etc at 150+ .Which will be most comfortable holding the line on road , sudden change of lane .
1.) Verna is all bumpy , airy .
2.) City is too light , even cross winds let you know what you are riding in.
3.) Linea is heavy but it is rock solid.
4.) SX4 with High C.G makes matter worse.

I would again say we cannot quantify cars like this .We drive the car to know which one is for us .
Also if data had to be made up it should have been in percentile system not in numbers .
Where cars with lowest parameter gets 0% and highest 100%.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 22nd May 2010 at 15:28.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:09   #152
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
While i appreciate the effort people have put in this thread but i feel when we drive a car we come to know about it .We come to realize how to have fun in harmony .So a car may have better 0-100 , 100-0 , ABS , EBD etc etc but we can never quantify cars like this and say this is better than that .
I would say for safety handling is prime most important (ABS , EBD , TCS etc helps ) but before all those the car has been helping us .We cannot quantify this .

Eg We can drive Verna , City , Linea , SX4 etc at 150+ .Which will be most comfortable holding the line on road , sudden change of lane .

I would again say we cannot quantify cars like this .We drive the car to know which one is for us .
Also if data had to be made up it should have been in percentile system not in numbers .
Where cars with lowest parameter gets 0% and highest 100%.
None said that this thread puts an absolute stamp on what is good and what is bad!! Its a guideline for people, and obviously one has to see whats best for them by taking a drive. BTW 150+???when does one drive at that speed in the entire lifetime of a car??
Old 23rd May 2010, 07:54   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
None said that this thread puts an absolute stamp on what is good and what is bad!! Its a guideline for people, and obviously one has to see whats best for them by taking a drive.
True. This could be a good start to a Team-BHP car of the year perhaps? The aam-jantaa will make its own decision as always though.

Quote:
BTW 150+???when does one drive at that speed in the entire lifetime of a car??
After the run-in?
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:26   #154
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
CONVENIENCE:

MFD (Computer)
Boot Open button on Keys
Defogger
Rear Arm Rest
Bluetooth Connectivity
Climate Control
Folding Rear Seat
Split Folding Rear Seat
The following could be considered for addition:

Foldable key

Boot lamp

Follow me home [automatic switching off of headlight after pre-set period]

Collapsible rear sun curtain

Quote:
LUXURY CAR FEATURES:
Electric Seats
DVD Player
16 inch wheels
Leather Seats
GPS Navigation
Rear AC Vents

Leather wrapped steering wheel

Leather wrapped gear lever

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd May 2010 at 10:35.

Old 23rd May 2010, 11:34   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Can you also add "engine temperature gauge" (engine oil or coolant temperature) as a required basic feature?
I don't think the car website/brochure mentions this bit

Quote:
I think it is Tata Indigo XL.
Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Rated with five stars. Excellent effort smartcat. Numbers speaketh the truth.
Thank you, Shakespeare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Without any protection for the passengers from luggage above seat back height, the 670L is not easily usable.
Coming from an owner of a Marina, this is quite a surprise to me. I wonder why stationwagons are so popular in Europe. I guess they fold down the rear seats and move their house with their wagons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
i feel when we drive a car we come to know about it .We come to realize how to have fun in harmony .
I like the way you put it

Quote:
So a car may have better 0-100 , 100-0 , ABS , EBD etc etc but we can never quantify cars like this and say this is better than that.
Refer to the FAQ on the first page of this thread.

Quote:
You do realize the problem with this kind of analysis, don't you? You will have different opinions on different cars from different people.

Quote:
Also if data had to be made up it should have been in percentile system not in numbers . Where cars with lowest parameter gets 0% and highest 100%.
I think Dr. AD's new improved formula uses percentile terms, rather than numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
- Foldable key is a pretty useful feature, in my opinion. No sharp metal key sticking inside the pant pockets. Brownie points for the Linea.

- Bootlamp is a good feature to have, yes. Will add to the list.

- I don't think any car in this lineup has follow me home or rear sun curtain, but will check.

- I wouldn't call leather wrapped steering wheel & gear lever as "luxury" features. But pure leather seats & leather upholstery on doors - yes. They cost something like Rs. 40,000.

Last edited by SmartCat : 23rd May 2010 at 11:35.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:55   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW 150+???when does one drive at that speed in the entire lifetime of a car??
Anytime you get into the 4 line highways towards Dharmapuri. 150 comes before you realize!
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:00   #157
BHPian

Too good a thread. Extremely valuble for anyone looking for a new car. Waiting for the next update. Yeah right 150 comes up before you notice on the GC stretch around krishnagiri.

Last edited by marlinspike : 23rd May 2010 at 17:02.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:51   #158
Senior - BHPian

Hi smartcat

First of all, congratulations. I somehow did not read your threads before. But read both the hatchback thread and this thread from the beginning today.
Quote:

EXTERIOR:

Front Fog Lamps
Rear Fog Lamps
Rear Wiper
Side Mirror Indicators
I do not think rear wiper should be included. Except perhaps Indigo Marina, no other car is likely to have it. Rear wipers are generally not present on sedans.
Old 23rd May 2010, 17:52   #159
BHPian

Excellent thread Smartcat and following the success of the small car thread, this has kept the flag flying.

Many thanks for the painstaking research and number crunching, I am sure it would benefit a lot of folks for years to come.

As for the difference of opinion, we always welcome a healthy debate
But believe me, compared to other threads, the protests / off-tracking is very low, kudos for the fairness and impartiality!

.... having said that I, like all other car owners, would love to see my car higher in the ranking
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:02   #160
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Coming from an owner of a Marina, this is quite a surprise to me.
I have used the Marina's boot to good use with the seats up as well as seats folded. The issue raised here is the boot capacity. Without the boot cover and with the seats in place, if you have passengers in the rear seat, it would not be practical to stack luggage or anything above seat height as they would be unstable and likely to harm the passengers.

But if it is a large item like a washing machine / TV etc, the 670L can be used even with the seats up.

For me the Marina was a practical buy than its sedan version for just a pittance more than the Sedan's price. To me, the Marina looks the best in the Indica platform, followed by the CS.
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:20   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- I don't think any car in this lineup has follow me home or rear sun curtain, but will check.
I beg to differ with what you have said.

I own a Fiat Punto Emotion Pack and it have"Follow Me Home Headlights." So, most probably Fiat Linea might be having it.

Moreover, if i remember correctly Fiat Linea Emotion Pack comes with rear sun curtain.

I hope that you will confirm the same.

Keep Up the good work SmartCat. I'm waiting for the rest of the information.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:14   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Too good a thread. Extremely valuble for anyone looking for a new car. Waiting for the next update.
Thanks brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I do not think rear wiper should be included. Except perhaps Indigo Marina, no other car is likely to have it. Rear wipers are generally not present on sedans.
Allright - will get rid of it. Rear wiper ruins the look of a sedan and at the same time, enhances the look of a hatchback/stationwagon - strange huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
.... having said that I, like all other car owners, would love to see my car higher in the ranking
For a small bribe, I could tilt the scale in favour of the SX4. Illuminated key hole is a good feature right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I own a Fiat Punto Emotion Pack and it have"Follow Me Home Headlights." So, most probably Fiat Linea might be having it. Moreover, if i remember correctly Fiat Linea Emotion Pack comes with rear sun curtain.
Right! Not so sure about Follow Me Home, but rear curtain is a very nifty feature to have - and Linea has both the features. Will add these to the list.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:55   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Shakespeare!
I tried, but couldn't shake the spear . Following luxury/safety features are worth a look (All available in Linea):

Vanity mirrors in sun visor.

Smart Wipers

12v connector

Excess Speed alarm

Service reminder (My Car feature)

Voice Controlled Commands

Auto door lock

Cabin lamp with switch off timer

Visual and Aural door/boot open warnings.

Adjustable headrests

Seat Belt warning

Tinted Glasses

Outside Air temperature indicator.

Rear window child lock.
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:47   #164
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Anytime you get into the 4 line highways towards Dharmapuri. 150 comes before you realize!
What i meant is that how many times does that influence a buying decision, i mean for 90% of the times, one does not experience a 150+ speed, and i feel those speeds are anyways not safe for our kind of roads( not the condition, but the overall experience of unexpected pedestrains, wrong side drivers etc)
Old 24th May 2010, 00:31   #165
UKR
BHPian

Was following the thread for some days now and I must say it is indeed a great effort. Keep it going smartcat . The Linea MJD's 30-80 and 40-100 in gear acceleration timings was dejavu for me, I mean I drive a Linea MJD E+ and have always felt that the car picks up speed really fast from the 3rd gear onwards. Now I have some concrete data for the detractors of Linea MJD . Looking forward to the next round.

Quote:
Linea does have both rear sun curtain and follow me home features.

Sedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-collapsible-sun-curtain.jpgSedans Under Rs. 12 Lacs - A Quantitative Ranking-follow-me-home.jpg

Quote:
- I wouldn't call leather wrapped steering wheel & gear lever as "luxury" features. But pure leather seats & leather upholstery on doors - yes. They cost something like Rs. 40,000.
Why not, people who spend 40k for leather upholstery usually do up the steering wheel and the gear lever as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Following luxury/safety features are worth a look (All available in Linea):
+1.

Last edited by UKR : 24th May 2010 at 00:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks