Team-BHP - Octavia vs. Civic
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Octavia vs. Civic (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/8163-octavia-vs-civic.html)

Gents,

My first post. I was thrilled to discover that you all exist. I have a dilemma, hopefully you guys can help (and I hope this is in the right forum).

Which would you rather have: a modded Octavia RS (current model) with 200 odd bhp or a modded 2006 Civic with comparable thrust?

I know a Skoda can make decent gains with reasonable effort, I'm not sure if the efforts are going to be equally reasonable for an Indian spec Civic. No Si for us.

BHP isn't everything. Handling makes a big difference. Looks matter too, but to a lesser extent. I like the way both look to be honest.

I ask because I'm in the market. So wait for the Civic or go for the Skoda? And what about the new Skoda? My head hurts, please help...

hey kroner

firstly welcome to tbhp.im sure youll have a great stay.just go through the anoouncements section properly.

i would personally go in for the RS.but i have one question what do you have in mind ?? why do you want to modify both the cars ?? for daily street use or extreme drag racing only ??

Rev

well welcome to the board firstly...see the octy has ****ty rear bench(new model resolves this problem)...the cicvic does a good job with this.
the new design of the civic is kinda flashy...u like it or u dont...u donnt have that problem with the octy....good and the new ones look even better
as of engine the honda is light years ahead of skoda in technology...so here the honda wins hands down!
pricing again is very close and very competative...

finally the date of launch...new octy is coming out only in late 2006....honda civic seems to be in a tearing hurry to launch the civic....expect this by earlry 2006 (i guess...))
so u decide.. after all u r gonna sign the cheque...!

Quote:

as of engine the honda is light years ahead of skoda in technology...so here the honda wins hands down!
There is no way that Honda is light years ahead of skoda/VW in engine technology. This thread is talking about the 2.0 Turbo FSI engine with 200hp. VW's FSI petrol engines are as good as other engines around in technology. Do a google on FSI and you will know how good the VW petrol technology is.

Octavia beats honda anyday. European technology is better overall while Japanese only manufacture good engines.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Doesn't really look like any consensus I guess.

Engine wise I have no complaints with the Skoda or the Honda. Rear leg room blows in the Skoda, but hey, I sit in front.

Personally, I favor the Octy for its tank like build and the fact that it seems easier to tweak. Btw, does anyone have solid facts on this??

Revtech: I'm no drag racer. This is for street use only. The performance mods are something I've always wanted and besides, I do feel the need for a bit more juice even in Bangalore traffic.

I'll go for Civic. Man octavia lac features and its rear suspension realy sks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by racing4cure

Where did you read that, sir?

Engine wise honda is better than octavia. (We r talking about petrol engine)

dude.. . the skoda octavia is a RALLY PROVEN (WRC, the top level)vehicle, and while the civic has been the bottom most (pretty much) of the honda stable, no doubt the honda has got d vtec engine, but buddy the RS is actually a 180 bhp motor which has been tuned to 150 bhp for india, and the civics gonna have a 140-hp, 1.8-liter, i-VTEC® engine. And handling wise the skoda sticks tothe tarmac.
i dont think theres a comparision between the two, coz the civics the bigger brother of the new city.
skoda rules buddy.

Buddy yo are talking about wrc.. Man the cars used in wrc are so much tweaked. So i think you should leave this all about skoda being used in wrc. and be a little practical.

With 150 bhp in the RS, taken up to 180 with an ECU remap and 93 fuel, it certainly smokes the Civics 140 quite handily. Also, its not prohibitively expensive.

What would it take to get the Civic up to 180? No bolt on turbo upgrades for the Civic motor for a while and even they come out its going to be a $3,000+ proposition.

I have no more evidence to suggest that one engine is "better" than the other. Better how? Fuel efficiency? I'm looking for performance first.

So from my point of view the Skoda wins the power game.

Anyone know the weight of the Civic vs. the Octavia? A lighter Civic would compare very favorably with a heavy Skoda. Modern Honda's however are hardly light cars. My Dad drives and Accord and its a beast. This Civic looks a lot like an Accord Light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh
I'll go for Civic. Man octavia lac features and its rear suspension realy sks.

Abhibh: What features do you find missing in the RS? Its got xenon lights, power everything, a sunroof, sexy seats, 4-wheel discs, pretty nice 16" wheels, a stiffer suspension and a nice fat exhaust tip.

Not ripping you here, just asking if you know that the Civic will come with more?

Keep in mind I want performance first. The Civic, to my knowledge the Civic will come with a soft suspension, no xenon, font discs & rear drums, 15" alloys, power everything, but I'm not sure of the sunroof.

The Civic does have a brilliant dash IMHO.

What's missing in the RS? Also, why do think the rear suspension sucks? I test drove it and had no complaints other than a slightly harsh ride on bad roads - a given from most stiffer suspensions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh
Engine wise honda is better than octavia. (We r talking about petrol engine)

If being frugal and efficient is a consideration, VW is ahead of Honda. Honda is leader in hybreed segment, while for pure IC engines, VW is the leader. And we are talking about non-hybreed cars here.

Only way for you to find out for sure is to wait for the Civic to come out, and then test drive them both under similar circumstances. Then pick the one that suits your driving style.

The Skoda's extra power may be of no use to you if you're a nippy driver who loves sharp corners.

But the Civic's balance and control may not be enough if you like blasting down the highway.

Either ways, it should be fun to test drive both and rip the hell out of them.