Team-BHP - Parking lot space - A major decision factor in short listing cars?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Parking lot space - A major decision factor in short listing cars? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/81762-parking-lot-space-major-decision-factor-short-listing-cars-3.html)

In my apartment a second car park costs about 4 lacs to purchase. So I have rented one for 1000 per month, which is much cheaper.

yes, parking area is one reason for me to choose my next car. Not sure if size, but security yes.

I think we should have a thread on parking lot safety a reason for buying/continuing cars ?

Upgrading from Santro to OHC I faced a major problem in my office parking. It was already difficult to park Santro, so you can imagine my agony in parking OHC. But a month back my company took one more floor in the building and got additional parking space which can accomodate big cars also. Now its happy.

Though I faced problems in parking because of Sedan, I voted 'No'. Reason being my parking problems were temporary. Also I did not know that parking a Sedan would be such a big problem. Only after buying it I realised that its not easy to park a Sedan.

Voted for YES. My parking lot has to accommodate three 2-wheelers along with a car. Can't think of sedan unless I sell off couple of 2-wheelers.

From what I have noticed in this thread most of the people living in Bangalore find it a big problem to park sedans. They would probably prefer a premium hatchback instead of sedan for this reason. I definitely I am seeing a lot of i20 these days. Its a good car and probably parking space might also tilt the balance in its favour.

At home, parking isn't an issue at all. I can park 6 - 7 cars easily inside the building compound. And the time that I get to work, the parking lot is empty. It fills up over the day, but again, I get to work fairly early and thus, actually have a choice of where to park my car.

On a related note, I'm seeing the rates of parking slots shoot skyward! Builders (residential complexes) are now charging anywhere between 5 - 15 lakh rupees for each dedicated parking space.

Parking will always be a problem for us. Being automobile worshipers, we would never stop dreaming for cars/bikes. And to fulfill this dream we would either rent a place or purchase a slot. And present development culture is pushing it hard further.
So when going in for a car one has to consider this aspect.

We live in an independent house. I was going crazy last year deciding between the Cedia (Sports), Altis and City. Apart from other factors, the parking space was one of my concerns. Our car garage was just about long enough to accomodate a Verna. The City would fit with minor modifications. The Cedia Sports was (and perhaps still is) the longest sedan in the sub-14L category - the few extra inches meant major mods to the garage.

I finally decided that I'll spend the extra money and go through the extra pain to lengthen my garage (shortening the connecting room in the process). Of course, I had the choice or else I would have to settle for something else.

In my native [Kerala], I can park 15 cars at least with out any modifications inside the gate [ 1 car in the garage]. But in Bangy, so far I have been parking it outside, its not even in my lane ! My lane has a set of very very neat people who just cant digest seeing a more expensive car than theirs. And my car used to be the feeding place for kids and slider for them to play and thats when I decided to move it to a different lane! I could still see new scratches coming on the car almost every week, and my DDiS logo above indicator has been broken and removed. As bad luck would not just go away, I got my newly installed Hella lamps stolen and I just called it the end! I have now taken a new apartment for rent where I will get a dedicated covered parking! Though its going to unsettle my budget in a big way, I think its better & safer to have a covered parking than losing sleep over the security of the car. And ofcourse the dirt that accumulates in a span of 2 days -- cant even wash my car. Everything is going to settle down in 2 days and am gonna pamper my sweet heart with a good polishing and car wash!

For me parking is no problem. Thats one of the benefits of living in an independent house. Inside it can easily fit in 6 and can go upto 10-12 if required. 4 cars will be in the shade and the rest open to the sky. When guests come, we have fit in 10 easily.

But another factor that would decide a car is parking space in your city. That I believe would also be influencing the decision of many.

Someone on this forum has his signature: 'Car is no longer luxury. Parking space is'. Boy! Thats absolutly true!!

i would buy a helicopter if parking space is the only factor..

Quote:

Originally Posted by benzinblut (Post 1910552)

But another factor that would decide a car is parking space in your city. That I believe would also be influencing the decision of many.

Someone on this forum has his signature: 'Car is no longer luxury. Parking space is'. Boy! Thats absolutly true!!

My vote YES. I too agree with your point. I do have an independent home, so parking at home is not an issue, but parking in the city is. It is a problem rearing up even in a city like Trivandrum which is not as yet as crowded with 4 wheelers like Bangalore or Delhi.

Went with my mother to a city hospital in TVM and went round the hospital twice before finding a parking place to park the hatchback (ZEN). This on a working day, Friday. On Sundays, no hope. Being a novice driver also does not help much :Frustrati

So, the poll will have to address both parts, parking in your home and in your city when you go out to get things done (banking, shopping. etc.,)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1899239)
On a related note, I'm seeing the rates of parking slots shoot skyward! Builders (residential complexes) are now charging anywhere between 5 - 15 lakh rupees for each dedicated parking space.

Holy cow! :Shockked: And after we pay this, what budget is left for buying a car? Interesting thread this, as I haven't felt the parking space constraints because I live in a house.

I stay in a Mumbai suburb, parking space has never been a concern, we have kept a maximum of 8 cars at a time, but we had 5 parkings at our home, and 3 at the office (Across the road), so it was never an issue.

But the sad part is that parking spaces cost a dear 5 lakhs for a covered space (Podium/basement) and 6-6.5 for an open space (Ground floor).

The issue I have at home is that my dad refused to purchase a car that is close in value to a parking space, ie: I want a polo and/or a punto in the family as I think they look great and appreciate the history behind the punto, but I can't get either one since their cost is too close to the cost of parking, dad thinks it' ridiculous paying so much for a space and using it for a car that doesn't justify it...

So well I guess the cost of parking has been a deciding factor...

When purchasing my cars, the focus was always on value for money. I learned a few things in life, owning a car is the second great symbol of success in India, the first being a house. I also learned that along with car ownership comes expected and unexpected expenses on upkeep, etc. But I digress.

My present home in Bangalore has space for one car. However, I live in a layout at a dead end so if push comes to shove, I can maybe park around 10 cars around the immediate vicinty of my home. The layout is also pretty secure. Its even better @ work, because I have basement parking and we have the keys to the same. With the home and office front parking being taken care of, the other areas are going to town, visiting folks, shopping, dining out, etc. I just lock the car and deal with the scratches philosophically. Thats part of the cost of owning a car, the scratches that someone else puts on your car. Furthermore,

Back home in Cochin, I have purchased parking space for one car in the apartment complex for 150 K, and the other car is parked in someone else's slot. With his permission, of course.

Ranzy