Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 19:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

If there are two automobile manufacturers that deserve a pat on the back for their impact on the Indian automobile industry it would be Maruti - for the Maruti 800 and the Tatas - for the Indica.

Why? Because thes two cars achieved more than just 4 wheeled transport. They inspired the dreamer in evry Indian. The Maruti 800 by bringing a car to affordable prices. Amby lovers pardon me but the Maruti 800 provided affordable transport to the average Indian family many of whom could not even think of owning a car before this. You see the best you can give a man is personified in the ad line of a manufacturer "Dare to dream".

Tatas were predominantly a truck manufacturer..came out with a couple of experiments i.e the estate and the Sierra. But the Indica showed us that dreams could be manufactured in India. It heightened a sense of pride in what a desi manufacturer could achieve. And the car was something...while on one hand we were screwed by a manufacturer who said that tall practical designs meant mickey mouse shapes and another that said small car mean small inside too and a stupid suspension and only petrol, the Indica suddenly offered much more practicality and comfort. True it had it's failings but then Tata were quick to learn and the V2 was a huge improvement. A couple of years ago i read an article that mentioned that a batch of BMWs were being recalled because of some defective part. So quality problems happen to the best of them too. I personally know a person who had the front suspension and transmission of his 1st gen Indica replaced FREE OF COST. And Maruti has crappy dealers too...So I think as a forum we have to indulge in constructive critisism of Tata but support their vision at the same time. At present Indica has a lot of problems indifferent gear shift, refinement problems, and plastics still leave a lot of scope for refinement.....but check two Indicas 6 months apart and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the improvement in quality.

I admit that Tata has intermitent quality problems and Boom Shiva might have had the misfortune to be saddled with one such example but put it into perspective with Fiat who only sold a couple of hundred Palios per month but still had this problem at the beginning.

And I still think Tata is the manufacturer who are gonna set new benchmarks in the industry. The indica, indigo marina stand testament to this. But as the poem goes...Tata has miles to go before they sleep.

So I wish all sucess to an Indian manufacturer who "dares to dream"!!

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 26th October 2005, 21:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Dude you summed it up wonderfully. Both manufacturers have stood their own against the korean, japanese, European and american onlslaught. If somebody has given wheels to indians its these two companies. Sum up the sales of these two manufacturers, it will be more than the sales of all the other car makers combined.
Old 26th October 2005, 21:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Shibu, that is a righteous statement you made there and it cannot be framed any better.... Absolutely agree with what you & tsk have to say...

I don't say this because I now own a Tata car, but even otherwise, I respect them as a manufacturer who made it through, all by themselves....
Old 26th October 2005, 23:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05
For 1 lac we can expect an auto rickshaw with 4 wheels,closed body,2 doors,500cc engine etc. etc.. And thats not bad for semi urban and rural people upgrading from a scooty, since thats the target buyer/market. We must remember that Rs. 1 lac ex showroom means only Rs. 70000 to Tata's, rest being the duties,taxes,dealer margins etc.etc.
mate,u should c the auto richshaw made by tvs. i would definitely put its price abt one lac.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks