Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do Celebrities help sell cars or promote a new brand?
Yes, they help sell cars. 10 8.47%
Maybe. Celebrity endorsements definitely help in introducing a new car brand to the masses 51 43.22%
No. Celebrities are a waste of money 53 44.92%
I will buy a Premier Rio if Katrina endorses it. 4 3.39%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 01:31   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If its an unknown brand - then celebs do help in spreading 'brand awareness'. They can also help create/spread a 'niche' segment.
But a car sells on its merits and de merits - and no one can help it there.

Brand awareness example - SRK and Hyundai
Segment awareness example - John and yamaha performance bikes, Priyanka and scooty.
Fully agree with Sid. Using celebrities is a brand building game, but nothing much for sales. Off course, the brand awareness and brand familiarity among the target group may pave the way for sales

Imagine tomorrow SRK is going with Honda, say for a Jazz, with the current market conditions and price. Do you think that the sales will be increased and reached in the level of Hyundai? I don't think so because as per the marketing fundamentals, promotion is only one P among the 4Ps (Product, price, place, promotion) . Especially the price is the most sensitive factor in Indian condition, which really influence the final outcome than promotions.
Old 11th June 2010, 01:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
Off course, the brand awareness and brand familiarity among the target group may pave the way for sales
Well put up and . Kind of like when people say "Remember ? The one John Abraham rides in the ad ? That one "
Old 11th June 2010, 02:46   #48
BHPian

I will buy a Rio if Katrina comes free with it.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Nissan would have roped in Ranbir mainly for Micra alone & not for Nissan as brand.
For Nissan, their earlier product launches (X-Trail, Tiana, 370Z) were/are niche products and hence Nissan might not felt the need for Brand ambassador. But, for a mass market product like Micra, it's apt for Nissan to bring in a youth filmstar like Ranbir.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, Celebrity endorsements definitely help in introducing a new car brand to the masses but not in selling them! Like someone said here, the car will get the "celebrity reference tag" added if advertised by celebrity! For example people know that Punto is the car advertised by Yuvraj Singh but how many buy or bought Punto due to this?

On contrary Swift, Beat, Figo, Polo or i20 have no celebrities advertising for them. These are selling mainly due to the value they offer or due to brand value.

So in my opinion, Auto brand matters more than celebrity brand ambassadors
Old 11th June 2010, 13:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Coming from marketing background, let me tell you guys that when companies get 'stars' to promote their product or service, their objectives are completely different and the objectives are dictated by the business they are in.

Car advertising can never result in direct sales. What it does is keeps the car brand in the 'consideration set' of the prospective buyer or creates a desired image for the brand that connects with the people who want to buy the car in the future.

Hence to make their brand more memorable and to connect better with the audience stars are used. Also stars are used when there is a direct match with the stars personality and the brands personality.

Stars in car advt just help the marketeers to create a different image for the brand vis-a-vis competition and create brand salience and brand stickiness.

The job of stars in car advt is to make the advt memorable, and the forum proves it that stars in car advt are remembered.

But does stars in car advt help sales, NO. Directly NO, but indirectly YES by creating a unique connecting brand image, by creating a desired brand.

Cheers,
ac
Old 11th June 2010, 14:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Coming from marketing background...
Well said. Usage of the appropriate words.

This is exactly what needs to be understood.
The purpose is to create a Brand Recall.

Last edited by karpusv : 11th June 2010 at 14:05.
Old 12th June 2010, 12:07   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mega star endorsements like Amitabh did nothing for the Versa, while Sachin Tendulkar couldn't sell the Palio. You can't get bigger than a Mr. Bachchan (Bollywood) or Sachin (Sports). I guess that sums it up, doesn't it?

As AC427 & Karpusv rightly commented, a star can enhance the "brand recall" factor. However, there is no such thing as guaranteed success, however big the name endorsement. The product has to prove itself once the customer walks into the showroom. Additionally, word of mouth, in India, plays a substantially larger role and the car's reputation on the street (surprisingly) counts a whole lot in India (especially). The Innova was a runaway success, as was the Santro. Aamir & Shah Rukh got the potential market segment to give these cars a second look, but at the end of the day, they are / were outstanding cars in their respective segments. My take is, the Innova / Santro would have enjoyed success even without the loving hand of the Khans.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2010 at 12:09.
Old 12th June 2010, 19:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
. Aamir & Shah Rukh got the potential market segment to give these cars a second look
Second look. Thats what stars can help with. While I agree in doubting Aamir's hand in the success of Innova, but his endorsement of cars which are just on the margin can potentially help increase the sales of such cars.

For eg I would guess Aamir endorsing Indica Vista will impact the sales positively.
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:18   #55
BHPian

Re: Celebrity Brand Ambassadors - Do they help sell cars?

Are Indian celebrities costing same/more as international celebrities?

I'm wondering because recently Tata roped in Messi for Tiago and Tigor and OT: Zidane was hired by Kanakia builders in Mumbai
Old 3rd November 2017, 18:17   #56
BHPian

Re: Celebrity Brand Ambassadors - Do they help sell cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

And now, Nissan Motor has signed up Ranbir Kapoor as their brand ambassador.
Nissan Motor India Pvt Ltd | NMIPL | Actor Ranbir Kapoor | Official Brand Ambassador - Oneindia Living
I was under the impression that Ranbir Kapoor was the Brand Ambassador of Renault India.
I understand Renault and Nissan are strategic partners, does that mean they can have the same person endorse both the brands? (ofcourse helps them save a few bucks)
Or have Renault relieved him of his duties?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks