Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 00:58   #16
BHPian

This indeed is a very good news. But this contradicts what Pawan Goenka has said in a interview recently.

M&M to introduce Xylo, Maxximo variants later this year: Pawan Goenka-Interviews-Opinion-The Economic Times

as far as a smaller passenger car is concerned, no we are not working on a small passenger diesel or petrol car.

Don't know which one is true. I hope the title of this thread comes true.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:11   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
that doesn't blind me from the fact that they understand the Indian market better than most (even more than Tata as far as UVs are concerned).
You could say that again. Mahindra is to UVs what Maruti is to B segment hatchbacks (read = domination). And think of the profit margins from selling outdated platforms + cheap quality + jugaad technology.

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is that they should outsource the design for their small car (like the Tata's did for the Indica).
Super suggestion! Mahindra would do well in outsoucing (and learning from) to a pure design firm.

Quote:
Also, I think "robustness" is something that is easier to associate with a UV/Jeep, for the small car they need finesse.
Tata cannot provide finesse even after 13 years of manufacturing conventional passenger cars. Within the cheap hatch segment, I would say only Hyundai & Chevy deliver "finesse" (notice absence of Maruti).

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
as far as a smaller passenger car is concerned, no we are not working on a small passenger diesel or petrol car.
Straight from the horses mouth, eh? Well, it was a fun discussion either ways
Old 15th June 2010, 16:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

I was on holidays for sometime and I have a relative (rater a few) working closely on Mahindra Projects. What I have been told is:

Mahindra is working on W502 project, A maxximo passenger van, W501 to be priced at 14 lakhs (Premium SUV), some tweaks to the Xylo, Gio passenger version is also expected!
Old 15th June 2010, 17:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, I really have to hand it to Mahindra. Over the last decade, they've launched the Scorpio (a proper SUV, unlike their previous attempts), the Xylo (VFM people mover), took the Bolero to entirely new heights (touching 7,000 units a month!!), the Logan (good sedan but market dud), tapped into the two wheeler segment, enhanced their CV portfolio, bought out Renault from their JV, took majority control of Maini Reva, is entering the USA market soon and now small cars!! Of course, there is that interesting 4x4 called the Thar coming up too
Not to forget their Farm equipment (Tractor) business. They are largest in India and one of the Top 3 in the world ! with presence over 25 countries.

The automotive business contributes more in terms of revenue but the tractor business contribution to the net profit is more than the automotive segment
Old 16th June 2010, 11:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I was on holidays for sometime and I have a relative (rater a few) working closely on Mahindra Projects. What I have been told is:

Mahindra is working on W502 project, A maxximo passenger van, W501 to be priced at 14 lakhs (Premium SUV), some tweaks to the Xylo, Gio passenger version is also expected!
Aren't the codenames W101 for the mini-SUV and W201 for the World SUV? and the Gio passenger version in essence is the competitor to the Tata Nano . It may come as a 2 or 3 seater and bold front grille and a single cylinder Kohler diesel engine
Old 16th June 2010, 14:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Aren't the codenames W101 for the mini-SUV and W201 for the World SUV? and the Gio passenger version in essence is the competitor to the Tata Nano . It may come as a 2 or 3 seater and bold front grille and a single cylinder Kohler diesel engine
Yes! My bad I was attending the wedding when I was discussing all of this with him so had a lot of background score as well and PYT's around! I am looking forward to the Maxximo passenger van.
Old 16th June 2010, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata cannot provide finesse even after 13 years of manufacturing conventional passenger cars. Within the cheap hatch segment, I would say only Hyundai & Chevy deliver "finesse" (notice absence of Maruti).
On second thoughts, yes, i think you are absolutely right with this. Tata still has a log way to go.
Old 3rd August 2011, 22:12   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra developing a small car - Codenamed BRL

"Mahindra is developing a small car for the Indian market. The small car, which is expected to be priced in the Rs. 2.5 lakh – Rs. 3.5 lakh range, according to reports will likely be launched in 2014."

Mahindra small car for India under development | DWS Auto India

Cheers!
Old 29th March 2012, 12:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra small car - Codenamed BRL

Again new abuzz on the small car developed by Mahindra codenamed BRL. As per the information quoted by sites such as- New small car from Mahindra with 1.0 liter motor | CarKhabri.com Mahindra will launch a small car in domestic auto-market that will be boosted by a 1.0 liter inline and would be tagged in the price tag range of Rs. 2.5 lakh to Rs. 3.5 lakh. Earlier, M&M planned to establish the manufacturing plant in Haryana, but at last they settled down the facility in Tamil Nadu. It is expected that the company would invest Rs. 800 crores in the first phase for the production commencement. Now this is yet another home grown auto that will not only take on its arch rival Tatas and the many B segment hatches in their own turf.

Last edited by girishglg : 29th March 2012 at 12:53. Reason: Mods: Pls change the post title to the one listed for future discussions
Old 29th March 2012, 15:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Will Mahindra also outsource for designing?
Got news they have roped in an Italian design firm.
Hi Buddy

Why dont you apply there, you seem to be doing a far better job then the design team they have right now or their outsourced design team. Keep it up
Old 30th March 2012, 10:40   #26
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Hi Buddy

Why dont you apply there, you seem to be doing a far better job then the design team they have right now or their outsourced design team. Keep it up
Hahaha..Not so easy
No one without an Automotive Design degree can apply there and probably not without any prior experience.
I have an Automobile Engineering degree but now have some other ideas. Lets see.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra developing a small car - Codenamed BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Mahindra seem to have too many things in their hands.

The Kinetic scooter take over is yet to take off in volumes. The Reva project, the Ssangyong project, the bigger SUV project, the 5 seater Xylo and now this new small car project.

It is nice to see that an Indian company is making such quick progress.
As of now, Mahindra are the only company which have their presence in almost all segments of the market - be it two-wheelers, three wheelers, mini LCVs, LCVs, Cars, MUVs, SUVs, Trucks, Tractors, Harvestors etc.

Two-wheeler unit may not beat Hero Honda in sheer numbers but one can see many Duros on road, thanks in part to delays in delivery of Activa.

Mahindra Champion, Alfa three wheelers have considerable presence. Maximos seld well, Navistar is doing good, and we know about UVs with all kinds of prefixes.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra & Mahindra plans small cars on Logan platform.

Quote:
Mahindra & Mahindra has said it can develop a small car on the Logan platform that it inherited from its erstwhile joint venture partner Renault.
Quote:
On whether the company needs to take permission from Renault before such a move, considering that the French carmaker still supplies the engine and driveline for the product, he said, "It's a free play for us to make whatever forms.
Mahindra & Mahindra plans small cars on Logan platform - The Economic Times
Old 13th August 2012, 00:48   #29
BHPian

Spotted Mahindra's small car near Bommanhalli junction- Hosur Road, Bangalore. Sorry, could not click the pic.

While coming from Electronic City at 11:30 pm, a car overtook me at speed of more than 80kmph (I was driving at 80). At first glance it looked like Reva- but mind said no as Reva can't race past me at 80. The car could not be Nano as tail lamps looked different. Curious to find out, I started following it and noticed Mahindra badge.

2 things that stand out- the badge was not hidden and car testing in Bangalore with KA51TC number plate. Is the car going to be launched soon?

Last edited by drive_or_die : 13th August 2012 at 00:50.
drive_or_die is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 10:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
Spotted Mahindra's small car near Bommanhalli junction- Hosur Road, Bangalore. Sorry, could not click the pic.

While coming from Electronic City at 11:30 pm, a car overtook me at speed of more than 80kmph (I was driving at 80). At first glance it looked like Reva- but mind said no as Reva can't race past me at 80. The car could not be Nano as tail lamps looked different. Curious to find out, I started following it and noticed Mahindra badge.

2 things that stand out- the badge was not hidden and car testing in Bangalore with KA51TC number plate. Is the car going to be launched soon?

If its this car you have seen its a Reva NXR. Going to a be a revolution in Electric Car on Large Scale. With Mahindra's market reach and its marketing capability, I doubt this car to fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra developing a small car - Codenamed BRL-2012_mahindra_reva_nxr_spied.jpg  

maxbhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks