Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 04:46   #16
BHPian

Tata doesn't need to sell it under the Tata name if it is in that range. They would be smart if they created a slightly upmarket brand and had separate showrooms, marketing team etc. for this brand. Nissan has Infinity, Toyota has Lexus, Honda has Acura. It is very difficult for a VFM brand to try and move upmarket - most have invariably failed irrespective of the industry.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post

<rant>It is sad to see how we have gone even beyond trashing indigenously developed products, that we are now even trashing any attempt at developing indigenous stuff. Seems like an aftereffect of ~800 years of videshi rule, that we still crave for everything videshi and trash everything desi.</rant>
I must agree with the desi concept, It is the citizens who are responsible to materialize a nation's dreams. If TATA or Mahindra or any other Indian brand evolved as a global brand, that will be only of more joyous for any proud Indians.

Old 29th June 2010, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Tata has given a go ahead to the Pr1ma. It is based on the Vista/Manza platform, looks worthy enough to be a 20-30 lakh sedan.

And I agree with invidious, Tata can't pull this through on its own brand. They might have to create a sub brand, or sell it under Jaguar (T series? TJ? T-Type )

Pr1ma on Pinifarina's website: Pininfarina | Tata Pr1ma

Photo taken by me at the Auto Expo'10.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata working on a Rs20-30 lakh car with JLR.-tata-pr1ma.jpg  

Old 29th June 2010, 13:33   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The threads turned from being a thread about a +ve effort by TATA to a TATA bashing thread?

I do wonder if all the respondents even read the article or are just responding to the comments.

To justify the means we are even seeing comparions between the Safari (manufactured in India) with the CBU Vitara.

Historically even the Japs and later the Koreans were considered poor cars and in time they have taken the fight to the Americans and Europians successfully, so lets appreciate such attempts or be prepared to eat our words.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:38   #20
BHPian

If Aria scores on the plastics and overall plastics, then they can easily pull this INR 20-30 car out. Aria will be BIG event for TM probably the second biggest after Indica launch.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

If priced at 20-30lacs Tata should launch in an all-new platform rather than the X1 platform.Should go gradual like first launching a D-segment car and then going up.
Another way like others here said is the Lexus way,but Tata doesn't have enough expertise to go in 'top downwards' method by launching an S class alternative.
It should go gradual like hyundai or toyota, like first a corolla size beater,then something as an alternative to laura.
But it seems Tata is following an unconventional,radical way.Launching the Aria,and now an SUV/crossover,without touching the traditional sedan market.
Anyway Tata is gonna be the future pride of india,AT FULL STEAM.

Last edited by DicKy : 29th June 2010 at 13:44.
Old 29th June 2010, 14:57   #22
BHPian

Tata could use the Rover or Daimler marques that it already owns. It makes sense for this to be a global launch instead of just a local one.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:34   #23
BHPian

Launching a premium product is the whole point of buying JLR aint it? From the day Tata bought it I have been expecting their foray into the 3/C/A4 domain.

I did see the Prima at the Auto Expo as well and it looked stunning. IMO you had to really SEE it to appreciate it. Photos can hardly do justice but they do provide an idea about Tata's upcoming product philosophy.

I have never been a fan of Tata vehicles but if they build something on Jaguar philosophy (styling interiors et al) then I will surely not dismiss it out of hand. Even if it has a Tata badge on it.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

From the DNA article.
Quote:
The product is likely to be priced at Rs 20-30 lakh, sporting a Tata badge.
It will be too early to say that 'no one' will be interested to buy a Tata at that price. Yes, that price looks stiff for a Tata. IMO it wont be a piece of cake for Tata to sell anything above Rs. 15 lakh. I think a lot will depend on Tata Aria which is suppose to be a premium offer from Tata.
Old 29th June 2010, 15:45   #25
BHPian

Time and again I fail to understand how can anyone write off any product from a company just by reading its estimated OTR. To quote a recent example , when the i20 was launched it was selling in poor numbers as no one wanted to buy a hyundai hatch for 7L+ but post launch of Jazz its selling like hot cakes and people have become open to the idea of buying even a 8L+ Hyundai hatch.

Its not that TATA is going to launch this new vehicle tomorrow so we can say oh TATA A** is bad, plastics and the other typical issues. TATA has atleast 2 -3 years before this product is launched, till that time we get the ARIA,the Prima and a few other cars which might very well break the shackles for TATA. Also the A** is improving and it can only get better post 3 years.

A lot depends on how succesful ARIA is with respect to breaking peoples mindset with respect to TATA. Agreed Safari is selling only 900/month but how can we say its less till we are aware of what the company target for Safari is?? Bentley is looking at sales figures of 2000/yr for Mulsanne. Just 2000 cars a year, now thats not a good car is it

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but judging a car from TATA only by reading its estimated price is nothing but bias.

Last edited by MihirC : 29th June 2010 at 15:51.
Old 29th June 2010, 16:54   #26
mxx
BHPian

It could just be a replacement for the X type. They lack a offering in C/3/A4 segment since they stopped x type. And the price mentioned (30 lakhs) is also same as this segment.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:48   #27
BHPian

While introducing new cars in the premium segment is sure a way forward for Tata, I wouldn't want to undermine the importance of improving their service levels. No customer would want to buy a 20 lac car and experience messed up A.S.S, especially when there are other seemingly better options around.

I would like them to improve their service levels up and parallely introduce premium cars and increase brand value. There has to be equal emphasis on both.
Old 29th June 2010, 18:04   #28
BHPian

they could as well improve their A** and change the mindset of the indians through results
Old 29th June 2010, 19:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
It could just be a replacement for the X type. They lack a offering in C/3/A4 segment since they stopped x type. And the price mentioned (30 lakhs) is also same as this segment.
It can't be the new X type as,it's independently developed by Jaguar.
Also the DNA article specifically states that it has Tata underpinnings,so only some technical inputs and help from Jaguar.
The heading refers it to as 'mart car', guess that's a pejorative tem for crossovers or SUVs(shopping mart)
Or did they mean developing market(mart)?
Yep That Tata has to get the A.S.S right,but it's still some time before it's launched,so Tata has plenty of time to rectify it.
Old 29th June 2010, 20:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
While introducing new cars in the premium segment is sure a way forward for Tata, I wouldn't want to undermine the importance of improving their service levels. No customer would want to buy a 20 lac car and experience messed up A.S.S, especially when there are other seemingly better options around.
Care to explain why there are so many takers for Skoda in India ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I would like them to improve their service levels up and parallely introduce premium cars and increase brand value. There has to be equal emphasis on both.
You see, in most companies product development and customer services related activities are not handled by same department. Hence it is very possible for TaMo to perform both activities at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
they could as well improve their A** and change the mindset of the indians through results
They can take care of After Sales Service, but don't know whether they 9or anyone else) can change the self loathing mindset of us desis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Bhai, did you read few articles on this subject ? This is a Tata vehicle which will be sold with Tata badge, they will use JLR knowhow and that is the only role that JLR will play in this. It would be best for Tata to not repeat the mistakes of JLR's past owners (selling almost same vehicle under different badges, devaluing JLR brand).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
India is getting richer, and if some desis don't mid buying Skoda(in Europe it is not really associated with luxury, rather it is known for value for money if not cheap vehicles) vehicles with nightmarish After Sales Service then they certainly won't mind Tata vehicles in same segment with acceptable service at competitive price.

Fellow bhpians should study Skoda's history, following is a quote from Businessweek on Skoda of the old days :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessWeek
To put it kindly, Czech carmaker Skoda Auto hasn't always been a leader in quality. During the Communist era, drivers learned to carry a full tool kit for roadside repairs, and Skoda's tinny sedans were the butt of countless jokes (What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A Dumpster. Why do you need a rear-window defroster on a Skoda? To keep your hands warm when you're pushing it.)
Skoda Means Quality. Really

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks