Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 21:24   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Going forward, i.e. after the 1 lakh deliveries are completed, even the base variant will have its price increased in the range of Rs.1,00,000 to Rs.1,04,000 and that's when the misconception would arise.

And TATA should plan for that sooner rather than later.
That misconception was not created by Tata so it's not for them to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Also, I wonder how the media would have arrived at the price-point on their own ?

Can you please enlighten me by answering that question? As far as I know they never said anything about the price. Only thing Ratan Tata said was that TM was working on a model to be priced below Indica. They always positioned it as a people car but it's the media which gave it a one lakh car name.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
That misconception was not created by Tata so it's not for them to answer.
Heh! I am glad I haven't seen that attitude from TATA yet. Hope they don't acquire it in the future

IMO if they clear the misconception, it might help them send a clear(er) message about NANO.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please enlighten me by answering that question? As far as I know they never said anything about the price. Only thing Ratan Tata said was that TM was working on a model to be priced below Indica. They always positioned it as a people car but it's the media which gave it a one lakh car name.
This is completely untrue. Do you think the media just conjured it from nowhere?

Here is just one of many interviews where Ratan Tata explicitly calls the Nano "the one lakh car". This report was published in December 2007.

Quote:
"The only reason we did not make the Rs one-lakh car a hybrid, for example, is that it could not have been priced at Rs one lakh," said Tata, who celebrated his 70th birthday on December 28.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 20th July 2010 at 23:25.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar
Sir, Mr Tata Did kept his promise of 1 lakh ex showroom price for first 1 lakh cars.
AFAIK, Tata is still delivering the initial batch of cars and in another thread, someone had posted the prices of all Nano models - I did not see the lowest trim at 1lakh.

Quote:
What so ever be the reason , he cannot pay from his own pocket to keep the price tag at 1 lakh . he is answerable to share holder like Us in long run. thinking now, i think, hike of 6000 to 7000 is justified .
No one has an issue with the 4% hike. Everyone is hiking prices, so why not Tata ? Issue was only with creating a hype about a car priced at 1lakh, then saying it was the media who came up with that figure, then saying "A promise is a promise" and finally not delivering at 1-lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender
Can you please enlighten me by answering that question? As far as I know they never said anything about the price. They always positioned it as a people car but it's the media which gave it a one lakh car name.
Your point (that you raise in all Nano threads) is answered below. I find it hard to believe that the media & junta would just pick up prices from thin air. Also, what promise was Tata talking about keeping ? The media's promise of selling Tata's car at 1lakhs ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez
This is completely untrue. Do you think the media just conjured it from nowhere? Here is just one of many interviews where Ratan Tata explicitly calls the Nano "the one lakh car". This report was published in December 2007.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st July 2010 at 10:39.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:08   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
AFAIK, Tata is still delivering the initial batch of cars and in another thread, someone had posted the prices of all Nano models - I did not see the lowest trim at 1lakh.
Offcourse On road price will be more than 1 lakh. he talked about ex- showroom price.

Quote:
No one has an issue with the 4% hike. Everyone is hiking prices, so why not Tata ? Issue was only with creating a hype about a car priced at 1lakh, then saying it was the media who came up with that figure, then saying "A promise is a promise" and finally not delivering at 1-lakh.

I guess, they have delivered on price promise. the base variant was priced at 1 lakh Ex-showroom . dont, know what's the basis of your statement as marked in bold above.

Quote:
Your point (that you raise in all Nano threads) is answered below. I find it hard to believe that the media & junta would just pick up prices from thin air. Also, what promise was Tata talking about keeping ? The media's promise of selling Tata's car at 1lakhs ?
Offcourse Media Went GaGa over 1 lakh price of a car . Right from day 1 , Nano was supposed to be a 1 lakh car and that was promised by mr Tata not Media . Remember a family on Scooter Story from Mr tata . Media just provided free publicity to TATA's with 1 lakh Price point
Old 21st July 2010, 14:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issue was only with creating a hype about a car priced at 1lakh, then saying it was the media who came up with that figure, then saying "A promise is a promise" and finally not delivering at 1-lakh.
He did deliver the promise. The 1 lac was the figure to dealer and not the end user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Offcourse On road price will be more than 1 lakh. he talked about ex- showroom price.
Is ex-showroom price same as the price dealer buys? I doubt. The promise he made during the launch was that he is giving it for the same price of 1 Lac to the dealers.

But I am not sure if he explicitly mentioned about providing the 1 Lac car to end users which includes all tax, insurance etc etc. May be its just that we assumed it to be at the cost of 1 lac to us.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess, they have delivered on price promise. the base variant was priced at 1 lakh Ex-showroom . dont, know what's the basis of your statement as marked in bold above.
In the other thread, I remember seeing the ex-showroom price for lowest trim as more than a lakh. Hence the statement.

So, we will give a 1-lakh car -> we meant 1-lakh ex-showroom -> no, 1-lakh to dealer etc. Not sure which was originally meant. Anyway, the figure is not the point, just that it was too much ado over nothing.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This is completely untrue. Do you think the media just conjured it from nowhere?

Here is just one of many interviews where Ratan Tata explicitly calls the Nano "the one lakh car". This report was published in December 2007.
I doubt it if Ratan Tata called the Nano "the one lakh car". Indian media is known for misquoting. May be he said something and they replaced it with "the one lakh car". I have read some of his interviews or speeches where he refered to nano as a car to be placed below indica. I also saw a video of him refering it as a car to be placed below Indica at one of TM shareholders meet.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it if Ratan Tata called the Nano "the one lakh car". Indian media is known for misquoting. May be he said something and they replaced it with "the one lakh car". I have read some of his interviews or speeches where he refered to nano as a car to be placed below indica. I also saw a video of him refering it as a car to be placed below Indica at one of TM shareholders meet.
If I recall correctly the case was Ratan Tata had mentioned that they are planning to make a car costing one lakh, but the media understood the one lakh (cost) car to be a one lakh (selling price) car.

But later owing to the hype it had garnered Ratan Tata got his team working and wanted to re-draw a plan to manufacturing the car as a one lakh car itself.
Old 21st July 2010, 23:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please, let's not get as ridiculous as to start accusing the Times of India of blatantly misquoting Ratan Tata. Here's a WSJ article (since you feel that the Indian media misquote people) which also has Ratan Tata promising a one lakh price for the base version. Key words here are base price (not cost).
Quote:
India's largest car maker by volume, Tata unveiled its much-awaited "people's car" at the New Delhi Auto Expo Thursday. In front of a cheering audience, Tata Motor's Chairman Ratan Tata stepped out of a Nano and announced that the base price of the cheapest version would be 100,000 rupees, or $2,500. Consumers will pay around 120,000 rupees for the car, analysts said, after taxes, transportation costs and dealer ...
I think you need to realize that there's nothing wrong in failing to meet a target price. They set themselves a target which proved impossible to meet. Whether that's an error in judgement or a scenario caused by sudden changes in input costs, inflation rates etc., the point is that its okay to make such mistakes.

The Nano is still much much cheaper than the next alternative on four wheels. And that should be reason enough for Tata to call it a success.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:22   #41
BHPian

This is what the reason provided by Tata Motors for hiked price (Rs.9000/-) of Tata Nano:
1. Providing a plastic cover over Catalytic Converter.
2. Providing a fuse in electrical system.
(Does these 2 newly added features is really worth Rs.9000/- ??)
Here is the link:
Tata packs Nano with more safety features | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos
Old 10th November 2010, 11:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
If I recall correctly the case was Ratan Tata had mentioned that they are planning to make a car costing one lakh, but the media understood the one lakh (cost) car to be a one lakh (selling price) car.

But later owing to the hype it had garnered Ratan Tata got his team working and wanted to re-draw a plan to manufacturing the car as a one lakh car itself.
At the nano launch Ratan Tata said to a live audience, 'inspite of rising costs and other factors we have kept our promise of selling the car at 1L' and his exact words were "a promise is a promise"

He also took a swipe at Mamta Banerjee. He said some wanted to name the car as "Mamta" and some others "Despite Mamta", but we stuck to it's original name "Nano".

Last edited by Daewood : 10th November 2010 at 11:50.
Old 10th November 2010, 20:57   #43
BHPian

Somehow missed this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Please, let's not get as ridiculous as to start accusing the Times of India of blatantly misquoting Ratan Tata. Here's a WSJ article (since you feel that the Indian media misquote people) which also has Ratan Tata promising a one lakh price for the base version. Key words here are base price (not cost).
I am not denying any thing you are saying here.
From the link you posted.

Tata Motor's Chairman Ratan Tata stepped out of a Nano and announced that the base price of the cheapest version would be 100,000 rupees, or $2,500. Consumers will pay around 120,000 rupees for the car, analysts said, after taxes, transportation costs

THe base price of the cheaper version is 100000 when it was released. So don't know what you are trying to prove here.

How can selling the base version at one lakh make this a one lakh car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
At the nano launch Ratan Tata said to a live audience, 'inspite of rising costs and other factors we have kept our promise of selling the car at 1L' and his exact words were "a promise is a promise"
You are missing something here. It should be "inspite of rising costs and other factors we have kept our promise of selling the car at 1L and the first one lakh customers will be price protected'. So he was implying to hiking the price for the other customers.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:57   #44
BANNED

Why is it that the Nano website does not show up the prices of its variants ? All the other Tata Products show the prices , but not the NANO .
Has anyone else noticed ?
Old 11th November 2010, 10:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Why is it that the Nano website does not show up the prices of its variants ? All the other Tata Products show the prices , but not the NANO .
Has anyone else noticed ?
I totally agree with you regarding this that Tata Nano is not showing the showroom price & on-road price for its variants as all other Tata Motors vehicle's website do. They are just showing the specifications of each variant & comparisons between them.
They are showing the prices in the other link on their website, linked as price list but it doesn't works properly.
Official announcement by Tata Motors on their website:
Link: http://www.tatamotors.com/our_world/...05&action=Pull

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 11th November 2010 at 10:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks