Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 08:33   #1
BHPian

The need for common rail AUTOMATIC hatches

City B2B driving in the rush hours is a real headache. Automatics offer a good remedy. Among automatic hatches, there are only petrol powered ones like i10, i20 etc. Why don't we have common rail auto diesel hatches? Like say an i20 CRDI auto, Punto multijet auto or even an Indica vista Quadrajet Auto. These cars are generally fuel efficient and an auto box won't play much of spoilsport and can be ideal urban commuters. C'mon its time for manufacturers to offer them.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:42   #2
BHPian

Good combo of convenience and diesel economy... the only deal killer will be the initial cost - imagine a i20 1.4 Petrol AT costing 9.1 lakhs OTR, how much would a diesel cost? May be TATA can break this...
Old 21st July 2010, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am damn sure there is a big enough market for automatic hatchbacks in our cities. Even in the petrol space, we have only Hyundai offering automatics and now maruti with the A* Auto, which i hear is ridiculously expensive. It will happen eventually, but when is the BIG question. My hopes are on Tata to bring competition in the auto market.

I hope the Nano gets an auto box. It would be the perfect city car, especially for the lady at home. If the Nano crdi diesel gets it, even better. But... if only wishes came true...
Old 21st July 2010, 10:46   #4
BHPian

Tata already goes to AVL for sourcing some engine technologies. They can easily source CVT and conventional automatic technology from them. I guess it is the lack of volumes and the high tech transfer costs that keeps them away.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My hopes are on Tata to bring competition in the auto market.

I hope the Nano gets an auto box. It would be the perfect city car, especially for the lady at home. If the Nano crdi diesel gets it, even better. But... if only wishes came true...
Old 21st July 2010, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Usually its about 1000 or 1500 dollars more to have automatics. That would mean about 1.5 lakhs more than a petrol manual for a diesel automatic. The manufacturers themselves might be worried about the costs. This increase in price as a percentage is huge in cheap hatchbacks.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Good combo of convenience and diesel economy... the only deal killer will be the initial cost - imagine a i20 1.4 Petrol AT costing 9.1 lakhs OTR, how much would a diesel cost? May be TATA can break this...
How about Tata introducing NANO automatic
Old 21st July 2010, 13:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

We sure need A/T diesel hatchbacks around 5-6 lakhs. The cheapest diesel AT car on offer right now is the verna which costs almost 10lakhs OTR (if I am not mistaken)

Quote:
I am damn sure there is a big enough market for automatic hatchbacks in our cities. Even in the petrol space, we have only Hyundai offering automatics and now maruti with the A* Auto, which i hear is ridiculously expensive. It will happen eventually, but when is the BIG question. My hopes are on Tata to bring competition in the auto market.

Has this been launched?
Old 21st July 2010, 14:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

I guess most manufacturers feel this doenst have mass appeal as yet. I did hear about Maruti's plans of an auto A-Star. Not sure what happened.
I can bet it will take a Maruti to get this going. Imagine what a swift petrol auto at about 75K more would do!
Old 21st July 2010, 14:12   #9
BHPian

There does seem to be a demand for a diesel auto hatchback, but don't know why the automakers are not taking a note of it. And even if the demand is not huge, I am sure automakers can deliver based on order. I for one would definitely be interested in a hatchback with auto tranny.

If Hyundai can provide Verna CRDi with AT, why can it not provide i20 CRDi with one? I am sure it can. If not a full fledged line, I guess automakers should look at order to make.

I do think i20, Swift VDi with auto boxes would do quite well.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ardy : 21st July 2010 at 14:14.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Considering the situation five years ago, now we seem to be accepting ATs. When I bought my Santro AT there were less that half a dozen in Kanpur. Now AT i10's are selling well.

I am disappointed that Honda have dropped plans for the 1.5 AT Jazz.
Old 21st July 2010, 21:21   #11
BHPian

It's not a hatch, but ... what % of Scorpio sale is the mHawk with automatic doing ?
Old 21st July 2010, 22:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Nano Crdi ? possibility is nano with a tata ace engine

As Mr.SGiitk said, yes sir if you asked me five years back i would have said automatics spoils the fun of driving, but now if there is a hatchback diesel between 5-6L i would prefer one as well.

I heard there is a bangalore after market fitment of auto clutch for any car for about Rs.35000 i heard about it a year ago but dont have details of it
Old 21st July 2010, 23:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think Swift or Ritz diesel with AT would be awesome.
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:18   #14
BHPian

It would be an excellent idea, but I sense these cars would be very expensive.
Diesel engines alone command an almost 80,000 premium over their petrol counterparts, and an autobox can be expected to add another 60,000 to that. In the end, 1,50,000 more for the same car with all of the same other features.
It doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint if you calculate the savings of petrol over diesel, and if convenience is the only criteria, just go for the petrol auto.
No good unless priced better.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
It would be an excellent idea, but I sense these cars would be very expensive.
Diesel engines alone command an almost 80,000 premium over their petrol counterparts, and an autobox can be expected to add another 60,000 to that. In the end, 1,50,000 more for the same car with all of the same other features.
It doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint if you calculate the savings of petrol over diesel, and if convenience is the only criteria, just go for the petrol auto.
No good unless priced better.
With ever raising petrol prices and inconsistent fuel efficiency of the petrol cars one will be force to go for a over priced diesel if they have high city travelling and what makes it even more unaffordable is just like ABS, AT will provided as an option on the fully loaded variant. For instance i20 Era Crdi cost Rs.5.85L(ex) and the asta costs Rs.7.01L(ex) add 60,000-75,000 to it and the ORT will go upward of 9L or atleast close to it. sounds insane.

its better to get a cheaper diesel hatchback like the swift or figo and hire a chauffeur and pay him for three to four years with the money you save on the car purchase

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks