Team-BHP - How much should I pay as a Road Tax in Bglr for my i20 CRDI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   How much should I pay as a Road Tax in Bglr for my i20 CRDI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/87597-how-much-should-i-pay-road-tax-bglr-my-i20-crdi.html)

Hello Guys,

I bought my i20 CRDI in July 2009 at Hyderabad for 7.7L. I paid Lifetax/Road tax in AP and my insurance is also upto date.

Now I am moving to Bangalore for a period possibly less than a year. I have done enough research about the formalities and got confirmation that I just need to pay road tax to drive my non KA registered i20 in Bangalore for 11 months.

But I came across that I have to pay a whopping 14.4% of total cost as road tax in bangalore which comes to a close 1L figure.

Oh my gosh..am I very wrong in predicting this????

It looks as though I should better take risk of escaping a cop rather than shelling 1L for an uncertain period.

Now some one tell me:

If I want to really pay road tax for my car will there be any better deal than this?

My car is under a loan agreement with a corporate bank here, Do I need to get any prior approval from the concerned banking manager about my relocation.

Also Car Total Cost Invoice copy is required for the KA RTO to estimate my liable Road Tax, where as I dont see anything like this with me since it is on installment pay. So what can be done?

Someone here suggested to buy temporary KA registration number from agents for less amount so that we can pay and extend the validity of the given KA number untill we require in bangalore. Is this any true???

Thanks
Vamsi

Please check the RTO website Transport Department for more details. I don't think a re-registration is required if duration of stay is less than 1 year

Welcome to road-tax hell!

You have to pay (14 + 1.4) * 0.93 = 14.322% tax on your invoice value of the car.

If your invoice value was 7.7L, you have to pay 1.1L to enjoy the horrible roads of Karnataka on a regular basis.

Samurai was very much right, describing the Tax burden and Road hell. I would say come to bangalore, hire a car for 11months, enjoy some of our roller coaster auto rikshaws, and last but not least our New volvo bus services which is also close to our auto drivers.

I thought we can run any state registered cars in Bangalore as we had some changes in rules. May be for the same reason COPs have stopped hunting down 2 wheelers for having a different registration !

I believe I had read something about this in TOI almost 6 months - 1 year back.

Lets say I drive down to Bangalore and have to stay there for a month.
Would I be required to pay the road tax?

Whenever a cop stops me, cant I just say that I am just visiting or passing by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitBahl (Post 2040136)
Lets say I drive down to Bangalore and have to stay there for a month.
Would I be required to pay the road tax?

Whenever a cop stops me, cant I just say that I am just visiting or passing by.

You can, but the problem is when you keep using the same roads everyday, the same cop will keep catching you !:D So the 'visitor' and 'passing by' excuse will not work.

If you do keep travelling to your state of registration, then keep a recent fuel bill or something like that to prove that you are actually just passing by !

Yes, as Samurai suggested, the off-road tax in Karnataka is very high for no good reason.

[quote=Whenever a cop stops me, cant I just say that I am just visiting or passing by.[/quote]

In Bangalore its easier said than done. Cops have their targets on penalty collection and these logic don't apply to them. I have been a victim of this and tried all possible stunts. Unfortunately I was caught by RTO guys. In the end I had to pay full tax (at the depreciated value of a 3yr old Santro) to get the vehicle papers back. Their logic was that I could claim it back from Blr RTO after I get back to the home state, with a letter from local RTO that the vehicle is back. So, be careful while you get your outstation vehicle here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alabjarus (Post 2040192)
In Bangalore its easier said than done. Cops have their targets on penalty collection and these logic don't apply to them. I have been a victim of this and tried all possible stunts. Unfortunately I was caught by RTO guys. In the end I had to pay full tax (at the depreciated value of a 3yr old Santro) to get the vehicle papers back. Their logic was that I could claim it back from Blr RTO after I get back to the home state, with a letter from local RTO that the vehicle is back. So, be careful while you get your outstation vehicle here.

Could you tell me when did this incident happen? Was it recently? Also when you pay the tax [re-registration], does the number also change to "KA" or you retain the number?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2040293)
Could you tell me when did this incident happen? Was it recently? Also when you pay the tax [re-registration], does the number also change to "KA" or you retain the number?

There are usually two options. If you are going to stay for less than a year, then you can only pay the tax while retaining your original number (I don't think you require an NOC for this) and the second (more tedious) process is getting your vehicle re-registered (NOC from home state, etc, etc), which is required if you plan to stay for over a year.

Its discussed in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-new-post.html

There was a ruling sometime back which stopped the cops from stopping the out station vehicles. Not RTO though. But defenitely the crack down had come down.

Thank you so much guys.. but some how my questions were not answered.

Now some one tell me:

If I want to really pay road tax for my car will there be any better deal than this?

My car is under a loan agreement with a corporate bank here, Do I need to get any prior approval from the concerned banking manager about my relocation.

Also Car Total Cost Invoice copy is required for the KA RTO to estimate my liable Road Tax, where as I dont see anything like this with me since it is on installment pay. So what can be done?

Someone here suggested to buy temporary KA registration number from agents for less amount so that we can pay and extend the validity of the given KA number untill we require in bangalore. Is this any true???

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotovamsee (Post 2039397)
Hello Guys,

I bought my i20 CRDI in July 2009 at Hyderabad for 7.7L. I paid Lifetax/Road tax in AP and my insurance is also upto date.

Now I am moving to Bangalore for a period possibly less than a year.

Ok I had been in the same boots in 2003. Apart from the huge road tax you cough up, there's more to handle.
IIRC, if your car is less than 15months old, you have to also pay 12%VAT/ST even though you would have paid the same in Hyderabad. I don't know if they have amended this crazy rule!
My recommendation is to wait for 15months to be over, before you pay the road tax - because this rule is against any sense of natural justice if it still exists!

Edit: Just saw your last post. It may seem incredible, but I have heard that if you plead with the RTO about a lot of expense, funds crunch etc etc, they may arbitrarily reduce the road tax you finally pay. I could not believe it (having paid a fortune myself), but I know someone who managed this !

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2040125)
I believe I had read something about this in TOI almost 6 months - 1 year back.

I too remember reading this. It was head lines in the Bangalore edition of Times of India. Should have cut it out.

You can continue driving with your existing State plates even after paying local road tax. No need to switch to KA. A colleague had payed road tax for his Orissa registered Enfield and still rode it with the "OSU" (Orissa State) plates.