Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 14:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With its Chakan plant running a second shift (for the Vento too), the VW Polo records its best ever month with 3,211 units sold. Clearly, a good chunk of the market is willing to overlook 3 cylinder engines and premium prices for build quality & brand.
Must admit quite good nos. there from Polo. Fabia needs a facelift + Polo engines as soon as possible.

Quote:
After driving the Altis diesel, I'd predicted that Toyota will snatch the lead of the 10+ lakh rupee segment from the Cruze. Though it did just that (1,024 units), the surge has been less than spectacular.
Altis was expected to take the throne back. I am happy to see Cruze maintaining its figures inspite of Altis diesel Launch.

Quote:
The Honda Civic clocks in a marginal improvement @ 455 cars. Still, the lack of a diesel engine, features and Honda's pricing strategy limits its market potential. The Civic isn't going anywhere in the near future. Atleast not until the new generation arrives on our shores and is positioned more sensibly.

One question- Do you think Honda might finally put the thinking cap on and reduce the price/position it sensibly as you put it for the Next Gen Civic? City has been their only hot seller, with Civic sales heading downwards Honda needs to get the Diesel for the Civic FAST.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Finally, Ford has a car that looks really great and is selling a lot. Reminds me of the Ikon days till around 2003-04 when the Honda City got a refresh.

However, one surprising result is that inspite of Figo selling more than 6,000+, overall Ford sales are going down because of huge declines in Fiesta. That means that higher sales of lower priced products are not compensating for lower sales of higher priced products.

Figo has impacted Hyundai and Tata the most, even as Maruti has gained share. Tata Indica and similar segment products share down from 10-11% in early-2010 to 6-7% now. For Hyundai, share down from 26% to 21%. They can say production cuts, but Hyundai is having a bad time in exports too (withdrawal of car scrappage schemes in Europe). Doubt this???. Go to ACEA website.

GM has proven once again that it cannot hold on to its new car hike for a long time enough. Almost all its cars on a downward slope. Total share down from 5-6% in 12/09-4/10 to 3.9% in Aug.

Maruti has again proved that it can get by on selling refreshes that are uglier than the original. Keep on selling 1980-1990s products and claim a service station at every corner. Who needs a service station at every corner with Toyota and Honda. I wanted to buy a Toyota for my wife, but am scared by the expected wait list on the Etios. Even Fortuner opens booking for some time and then closes.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice analysis, GTO. And love the format in which the cars are ranked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I say, release 500 limited edition 800s with the 1.6 VVT under the hood (collectible edition), have a grand farewell party and R-I-P.
Awesome idea there about putting in the 1.6 under the hood. I guess they are keeping it to have atleast something to counter the Nano. If not for the Nano, they would have killed it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
- The practical Maruti WagonR fills up the No.2 spot in India with 12,976 sales.
I was surprised to see the WagonR at #2. Once a car I almost bought as I liked the looks plus ofcourse practicality, today I cant stand the new look - yet the market seems to love it. One of the most spotted-on-the-road new cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
- Vento or no Vento, the market clearly is a believer in the Honda City's value proposition, despite it being the most expensive C segment sedan!
Loved the way it drives (more in MT than AT), but the interiors could be better. Much better actually for the price they want. Wonder if the buyers who plonk down 1million Rs don't care at all about this factor ? Or they ignore it for the other positives.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th September 2010 at 15:09.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:14   #19
BHPian

@GTO - I'm happy and hugely appreciate your thorough-bred analysis. Its definitely better than the pure numbers that the sheet gives.

Best is what Indian customers expect of a Rs 2 crore car. More seats at same cost = better value

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2010 at 12:12. Reason: As mentioned, no discussion on excel sheets please
Old 9th September 2010, 15:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- With its Chakan plant running a second shift (for the Vento too), the VW Polo records its best ever month with 3,211 units sold. Clearly, a good chunk of the market is willing to overlook 3 cylinder engines and premium prices for build quality & brand. With the Polo alone, VW now overtakes Skoda's total volumes in the Indian market. Volkswagen can realistically target 8,000 - 10,000 monthly sales, in 2 / 3 quarters from now, once the Vento's production stabilizes.
Trailed a new Polo on my way to work some time back. The external paint job looked much better and gleamier than what the Koreans and Japanese give out. However, too early and unsure to say whether the tables are turned so to say on the inside. I would be very hesitant to spend money on a VW when there are better cars from Toyota/Honda.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:28   #21
BANNED

Just a single car's sales (Alto from Maruti) in August (28,400) is nearly equal to the total sales of country's second largest car maker Hyundai in August (28,600)!!!
Old 9th September 2010, 15:28   #22
BHPian

Hurrah.. This is the kind of analysis that can keep us glued to Team BHP after each month end. Keep it going, GTO..

Top of the top sellers' list is quite amazing. Seems like Alto is going to keep its place even after nano goes full swing.

GM and to an extend Ford seems to be losing pace. Beat is beaten and Figo success has almost killed the Fiesta.

Polo numbers are much more than most of what the market expected. Hope to see much more VW dealerships once the Vento too comes in.

Last edited by CoolFire : 9th September 2010 at 15:30.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Entry-level cars:

- Within a couple of quarters, the Nano should easily overtake the Alto for the mantle of "India's best selling car". Also, upcoming new variants (diesel, electric, premium Europa version) will greatly widen the Nano's appeal.

- I say, release 500 limited edition 800s with the 1.6 VVT under the hood (collectible edition ), have a grand farewell party and R-I-P.
Tata's have been making all the right and sometimes audacious moves in the auto sector, like buying JLR and then inventing Nano. However both moves have paid off and they seem to have already overtaken Hyundai to become No. 2 in Indian Auto market.

Can you please get hold of JLR sales in India and publish the data.

M800 with 1.6 VVT engine???? what an (hilarious) idea sir ji. That tin box with its puny brakes with 1.6 VVT will simply fly off and the farewell party will be held on treetops.

Last edited by akj53 : 9th September 2010 at 15:33.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Out of total sales of 161 K, Maruti has done almost 58% i.e. 92 K + cars. That's a great numbers considering the hard competition from Tata, Hyundai, Ford, Honda, Toyota etc. Maruti knows what Indian customer likes. I wish they should enter in other segments as well like D segment with Kizashi, some SUV. It will make Maruti as a complete car manufacturer in India. I really wish Maruti should come up with good SUV (No KHATARA Please) around 15 Lacs. It will be a major hit for sure.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
wow - GTO - I practically stopped working for 15 minutes in office and read the whole analysis at one go!
I did exactly the same thing just now !
Old 9th September 2010, 15:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

- Excellent analysis and write-up GTO. But then, it's nothing new to you.

Maruti-Suzuki has clearly established Alto as the best-selling car and I think it will remain in that position for atleast another 1~2 years minimum. Wagon-R at 2nd position is surprising given the fact that the redesign has spoiled it's looks (atleast to me). 1st gen Swift contines it's dream run at the fag end of it's life. Kudos to Maruti for taking a clean sweep of the podium.

IMO, Hyundai i10 will be back at No 2 or 3 once the face-lift is launched. Hyundai i20 at 7000+ numbers has bowled me over completely. It has overtook HMI's erstwhile best-seller (the Santro).

But, the performance of Fiat is appaling, with both the brilliant Punto and Linea sliding downwards. I guess Fiat's image in India has taken an irrepairable beating.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

This is Hyundai India's explanation (same explanation as before but of course the month has been refreshed)-sorry, their website is not allowing me to click on press releases.

Hyundai Motor Company :: Press Releases

Not given out is the fact that domestic sales growth is now half of the industry average.
Also not given out is that `supply constraints' could not have come at a more opportune time. Domestic demand for Hyundai is not growing as fast as competitors, and export demand is declining sharply. See here:

IHS Global Insight // Same-Day Analysis

Also that exports are down 7.3% during April-August.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
- Excellent analysis and write-up GTO. But then, it's nothing new to you.

But, the performance of Fiat is appaling, with both the brilliant Punto and Linea sliding downwards. I guess Fiat's image in India has taken an irrepairable beating.
This was expected from FIAT as they dont have a stong marketing plan. We(myself and my cousins) have 3 FIAT products Linea and Punto. All three are not satisfied with the products. The Punto 90 HP was a much awaited product and that turns to be a disappoinment for lot many. The wait for FIAT Linea T-Jet is still going on. Even if T-Jet is launched it will be coming with the pathetic gearbox with same gear ratios. So there seems to be no improvement from FIAT. After being a big fan of FIAT i am totally disappointed. I had 3 of my friends who where going for Punto and i have adviced them to go for other products.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
This was expected from FIAT as they dont have a stong marketing plan. We(myself and my cousins) have 3 FIAT products Linea and Punto. All three are not satisfied with the products. The Punto 90 HP was a much awaited product and that turns to be a disappoinment for lot many. The wait for FIAT Linea T-Jet is still going on. Even if T-Jet is launched it will be coming with the pathetic gearbox with same gear ratios. So there seems to be no improvement from FIAT. After being a big fan of FIAT i am totally disappointed. I had 3 of my friends who where going for Punto and i have adviced them to go for other products.
FIAT is suffering due to poor products and not due to lack of a marketing plan or poor service. Skoda still sells despite the awful dealers and pathetic + expensive service. I wanted to buy Linea and had test driven it in early 2009, but was horrified by poor interiors, long throw clutch and gear lever and awkwardly placed pedals. The engine also feels puny in that heavy car.

They have to improve the product and sales will improve automatically.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
FIAT is suffering due to poor products and not due to lack of a marketing plan or poor service. Skoda still sells despite the awful dealers and pathetic + expensive service. I wanted to buy Linea and had test driven it in early 2009, but was horrified by poor interiors, long throw clutch and gear lever and awkwardly placed pedals. The engine also feels puny in that heavy car.

They have to improve the product and sales will improve automatically.
I would say that they do have a poor marketing plan and poor service also. If they have good marketing plan they would have launched T-Jet by now. When they launched 90HP they would have had altered gear ratios and better interiors. I am really fed-up with there service. When ever i take my car for a small issue a new problem creep-up after the service.
Eg:

1. I have gone for painting the front bumper as it had some scratches. It came back with 2 different colors painted and with some dents in bonnet.
2. I had gone to rectify my Clutch as Sleeve Cylinder while running got broken. It came back with "boot open" display even if the boot is closed.
3. This is recent before 3 days. My OEM music system was send to Pune before 45 days. They replaced me with Linea's music system. Now the dash board color looks different. With Silver and Golden beige. No reply from Fiat after complaint.

Now how do FIAT expect me to advice my friends to go for FIAT Cars. After using the clutch and gears in Punto inside City(as my most of the travel is inside City around 50 Kms perday b2b traffic) i am taking treatments for leg and angle pain. To make it simple i am really a fed up of my car. I bought a premium Car for a better life but actually i lost my piece of mind. I have a good ownership experiance with my Alto than Punto.

To conclude i will say that dont expect anything from FIAT India.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 9th September 2010 at 16:38.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks