Team-BHP - Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/89224-tata-aria-driving-impressions-edit-full-specs-features-variants-page-18-a.html)

Note from Mod : Please continue the Aria discussion in GTO's test-drive thread. Thanks

This afternoon I walked into the Concorde showroom at Prabhadevi, accompanied by my cousin, with the intention of checking out the Safari LX for him.

We were pleasantly surprised by a young trainee chap who walked up to us and pointed to the Maroon Aria standing outside on the road (which I had failed to notice while entering) and asked us if we would like to TD it and give our impressions, as they were collecting some market feedback. We agreed, since we didn't really have anything else to do.

What we thought would be a casual first impressions kinda thing, turned out to be a full fledged survey questionnaire thrown at us, with all sorts of questions regarding our present vehicles, our background etc, and we were filmed and our responses recorded while we were doing so.

We were taken out to the car and were asked our first impressions about the looks. After that, we were offered a TD and we gladly accepted. This was one TD where we were not hurried up. The surveyor flashed her Sealink daily pass and told us we could go via the Sealink to Bandra and back. So we did our TD, with my cousin taking the wheel first upto Bandra, and then I took over on the way back. We recorded our observations throughout the journey. Once back, some closing comments followed wherein we were asked about how much we would spend on this car, what we thought it was worth etc. We were told all throughout that this was a pre-production test mule, and were not told about the pricing at all.

My impressions are as follows :

Exterior :

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-photo0939.jpgTata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-photo0938.jpgI'd give it a 7/10 for exterior looks. It's a step forward for Tata, they've moved it forward, but not quite there.

Interior :

Tata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-photo0941.jpgTata Aria : Driving Impressions. EDIT : FULL specs, features & variants on page 18-photo0940.jpgOverall, a 7/10 from me for the interiors. A refreshing step forward from Tata, not too many el cheapo bits. Quite comfortable, and save for the massive ergonomic blunder i.e. omission of dead pedal, and the dismal third row space, it's a good effort.

More to come : Driving Impressions, Ride & Handling, Comfort, Closing Comments.

I am not impressed with the looks. My first impression itself says this one is a no gamer. IMHO Innova is miles ahead and if Tata wants to give serious competition then the pricing better be good despite the negative initial impressions.

That is one exhaustive and keen observation you have made. I guess you would give a go ahead for this?

Nice to hear that TATA has been able to produce an interior that meets expectations of the segment. Or atleast on par. Eagerly waiting for the next piece... Hope you managed to get high-res pics of the interiors/exteriors.

Great review flyingspur, You have very well observed many factors. Lets hope TATA listens to these reviews from everyone and put together a great vehicle which will have nothing much to complain about.

Because there are these some little things like the plastic surrounding of the door handles, which if comes out in the production model or the final product, will make the customer feel robbed even after paying the amount being asked for.

So if they are to take up seriously with their survey, we will get a fine tuned Indian Machine :)

Way to Go TATA

These are my impressions after a 20-minute drive along the Sealink, Worli Seaface, and then from Atria Mall to the Concorde showroom via Siddhivinayak.
Have I missed anything out? I am not GTO, and this is not an S-Class level review with Bentley-quality pictures. Feel free to ask me specific questions.

Great review. Seems impressive. I think it might just end up selling well if priced right. It will offer great VFM and segment first features. The wind noise on the sealink could be because of crosswinds.

A few queries.
1. How was the rear seat comfort?
2. Did the TD route include any broken roads?
3. How was the high speed stability?

Nice review. I did not like the way it looks though. Maybe I have to see that in person. Rear A/C vents are a welcome anytime.

Is it using dual compressors or is it using just a blower in the B pillars, If using a second compressor (which I understood from the review), wont that be too much of a load on the engine and invite unwanted complications.

How does Innova's dual cooler works? Is that just a blower or a different compressor

Ride & Handling / Comfort :
I think that sums it up. A heartfelt 8/10 on comfort. This is NOT a driver's car, and I'm not docking points for body roll etc. Docking two for the ornamental third row.

Difficult to sum it up. At the end of the session, they showed us a comparison chart which had spec comparisons of the Aria (excluding price and dimensions), Innova, Fortuner, Endeavour and a couple other cars from that segment. Which is a dead giveaway that they're pricing it up there, or atleast somewhere close to 18 lacs. Which is a bad move. I don't think Tata has the brand equity to pull this off at that price point.

BUT where would I price this one? With all equipment, I'd say 15 lacs tops. Because beyond that, it's competing with players that are FAR more established, products that actually give you a feel of having arrived. This doesn't.

And compared to the Innova?

Shoot me for saying this, but I'd definitely say it eats the Innova, in terms of comfort, drive, equipment, everything. If they were priced similarly, I would never buy an Innova over this, except if third row seating was a critical deciding factor. I sat with the second row completely pushed back, but I'm quite sure that there would never be enough space for a 5'8"+ adult to get in there (you may consider this as a limitation of my quick review).

But they're NOT going to price it near the Innova. I'd love to eat my words, but that comparo sheet was a dead giveaway. And that's why I feel Tata is making a bit of a mistake here. It's all going to boil down to pricing.

A detailed first impression ,liked your style.my queries are 1)Did you notice how many km was on the odo? 2) was the engine noise so high that it was bothersome or was it like a typical CRDI sound? 3) how was vehicle feel from the steering was it light and agile, quick to change direction? 4) any body sounds like resonance at certain rpms like in safari or rattles when going over bad patches or expansion joints? 5) was it a 2wd or 4wd? Thanks

Can't thank you enough for sharing your feedback. I hope Tata Motors uses this feedback carefully. The dead pedal omission is a serious blunder, I hope they fix that before the launch.

One quick question, was this version the AWD version?
Edit: I really like the looks of the Aria, but didn't like the ARIA badge (the font, the spacing between letters, both)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbu64 (Post 2022417)
IIMHO Innova is miles ahead and if Tata wants to give serious competition then the pricing better be good...

I would pick this over the Innova if priced similarly. But this car has apparently been designed for a segment higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachinj12 (Post 2022423)
That is one exhaustive and keen observation you have made. I guess you would give a go ahead for this?

Thank you. Made it a point to record all these observations with them, I can only hope they listen. And yes, I "approve" of the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldice4u (Post 2022424)
Hope you managed to get high-res pics of the interiors/exteriors.

Not really. Sorry 'bout that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by backrub (Post 2022428)
So if they are to take up seriously with their survey, we will get a fine tuned Indian Machine :)

I sure hope they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 2022447)
Great review. Seems impressive. I think it might just end up selling well if priced right. It will offer great VFM and segment first features. The wind noise on the sealink could be because of crosswinds.

My Indica V2 would have had as much wind noise, probably higher, right? This was not the ordinary stuff. Quite audible and intrusive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldice4u (Post 2022455)
A few queries.
1. How was the rear seat comfort?
2. Did the TD route include any broken roads?
3. How was the high speed stability?

1. Very good, slightly flat seats but I didn't find much to compain about. Under thigh support is something I've never understood because my feet are just too big for any car.

2. Oh yes, it did. One of the worst patches these days, infact. The Reclamation entry / exit section for the Sealink. Quite absorbent.

3. Good, but not confidence inspiring. Or maybe I'm spoilt by the 320d.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 2022459)
Nice review. I did not like the way it looks though. Maybe I have to see that in person. Rear A/C vents are a welcome anytime.

Thanks Pervez. Apart from the vents on the B-pillars, there are also central AC vents for the middle row like in the Laura etc. Those are a little small, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by backrub (Post 2022460)
Is it using dual compressors or is it using just a blower in the B pillars, If using a second compressor (which I understood from the review), wont that be too much of a load on the engine and invite unwanted complications.

Dual compressor. Maybe that's what hampered the power delivery a bit.

Quote:

How does Innova's dual cooler works? Is that just a blower or a different compressor
Again, my guess is a dual compressor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by damodar (Post 2022464)
A detailed first impression ,liked your style.my queries are 1)Did you notice how many km was on the odo? 2) was the engine noise so high that it was bothersome or was it like a typical CRDI sound? 3) how was vehicle feel from the steering was it light and agile, quick to change direction? 4) any body sounds like resonance or rattles when going over bad patches or expansion joints? Thanks

Thanks damodar. I'm no Yeti though.

1. No, I did not. My bad.

2. It was a typical CRDi sound which was a little bothersome :) Actually the only diesel noise I really like is, well, the 320d. And the Verna too, actually.

3. Quite light and agile, yes. But did not weigh up at high speeds, which was slightly unnerving.

4. Oh yesssssss, thanks for reminding me.The most pleasing observation. Apart from one tiny, barely audible rattle from the rear windscreen / rear pillar area, absolutely none. I'm sorry I missed this in my review. Mighty impressive for a Tata.