Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:57   #1

Price of Optra Magnum 2.0 is slashed by Rs 1 lakh

The sales man from GM dealer has just now called me and informed that the price of Optra Magnum 2.0 is slashed by Rs 1 lakh !!! The on road price of the top end version of the car in Kochi is going to be just above 10 Lakhs.

This is a beautiful car for sure. But I suspect that GM is gonna stop production of this machine and hence such discounts to clear off the inventory. Any news??
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:01   #2
BHPian

That's great! A friend of mine was asking for car recommendations in the 10L range just yesterday. I will ask him to check this out for sure.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK it was always around 10L on-road. I had inquired a year back.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Price it at 9lac and see the sales !

What else we have at 8-10lac, which has a diesel engine ?
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:54   #5
MAS
Senior - BHPian

That is a good price for a wonderful car. Magnum is ageing too soon. I see quite a number of Magnums which look very old. Another problem is that the rear suspension is too soft and it hits every speed breaker when fully loaded.

I wish General Motors could give the Optra Magnum a good facelift, sharpen its handling, may be call it a Magnum XX and price it at 9 Lakhs.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:31   #6
BHPian

A very understated car in my opinion. It is a very comfy car too as every time i get a taxi from Car Club, they are these. Perhaps like what most said, it is probably the beginning of the end for the Optra magnum. A car which was capable of a lot but never really won Indian hearts. I guess they are making way for the petrol Cruze and the Optra gets the axe.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is another attack on getting more volumes against Honda ANHC
i think now the competitors are making unified attack on ANHC

VW Vento
GM Magnus
FIAT Linea

better Honda guys watch out.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:49   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

It's once again a half move, it needs a slightly bigger price cut, a face uplift - refresh - transform. And with the diesel engine it can well take on the linea, verna, ANHX.

One does worry if this is just a stock clearance, but they have got BS4 engines so why do it. Why not reposition half a segment lower and sell.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

GM has failed miserable to sell thir products which are very much better than the competition. Spark being a better car than Alto was no match as far as sales nos are concerned despite of 3 yrs no maintainance.
Beat hasnt set ant sales chart on fire.
Neither Aveo nor UVA did anything great. Although both were good cars.
Magnum inspite of being an excellent product be it performance, be it space is rather an unknown car in India. The most surprising fact is that it did not have any competition.

The only exception is Cruze.
Inspite of having not upto the mark interior built quality and a very very bad turbolag the CRUZE is the sales topper. Interesting isnt it?
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:50   #10
BHPian

I think they offered once at 7.99 for a limited time.. I think they are making the same again.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It's once again a half move, it needs a slightly bigger price cut, a face uplift - refresh - transform. And with the diesel engine it can well take on the linea, verna, ANHX.

One does worry if this is just a stock clearance, but they have got BS4 engines so why do it. Why not reposition half a segment lower and sell.
+1 to it. Well said -- a refresh and a better price cut is much needed for better volumes. And why KILL it? I have seen awe reviews about this car and it should be retained. Bring down the price so that its bang on in 10 lakhs on-road price territory and do a better marketing & see the volumes rising ! GM, you are still not there, where you can command a premium -- may be except for Cruze !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Spark being a better car than Alto was no match as far as sales nos are concerned despite of 3 yrs no maintainance.
Beat hasnt set ant sales chart on fire.
Neither Aveo nor UVA did anything great. Although both were good cars.
Magnum inspite of being an excellent product be it performance, be it space is rather an unknown car in India. The most surprising fact is that it did not have any competition.

Inspite of having not upto the mark interior built quality and a very very bad turbolag the CRUZE is the sales topper. Interesting isnt it?
True. Spark is hell of a car and topped my list during my test drives. I walked away mainly because of lack of space for a 6 footer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
I think they offered once at 7.99 for a limited time.. I think they are making the same again.
Was it for the Diesel version? I think it was for the petrol. Neverthless, bring down the price to a decent level and they should reap the benefits for sure.

PS: Once a guy in optra magnum overtook me in city conditions in almost bumper to bumper traffic -- both of us started from "0" and being Diesels, I was amazed the way that Optra took off -- though his agressive style irritated me quite a bit, I kept my cool coz I fell in love with the Optra -- and instant promotion into my wish list !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team :
Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this or -- like -- this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd September 2010 at 08:20. Reason: Please check the post.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
At 7.99 ex showroom it would be an awesome buy. The diesel i mean. Wishful thinking i know, but with that 3 year maintenance offer from GM i'm sure this would make a compelling buy.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:20   #13
BHPian

This was the case since 15th Sep. please see the thread below where I had asked about buying the Magnum at the current discount.
In Trivandrum, the on road is 10.48 for the LT 2.0.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...it-longer.html
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:59   #14
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
At 7.99 ex showroom it would be an awesome buy. The diesel i mean. Wishful thinking i know, but with that 3 year maintenance offer from GM i'm sure this would make a compelling buy.
There was this offer sometime back, but on reading the finer print of the advertisement, the price was for Optra Petrol 1.6. The diesel was at 9++ at that time.
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

Turbo lag in the Cruze of cars manufactured after December end of last year is a dream. All Cruze vehicles manufactured since then pull cleanly from 1280rpm without any surge from then till 4500rpm.
Have a test drive of vehicle with the new remap of the ECU which comes standard from the company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks