Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 21:15   #1
BANNED

New 3-row passenger car from Maruti Suzuki?

Source: Automotive World - India: Maruti Suzuki to offer new 3-row seat model

"Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (MSIL), Japan’s Suzuki Motor Corporation’s Indian subsidiary, has announced that it will begin selling a newly designed, three row seat passenger vehicle in 2012. This new vehicle has been designed locally, by Maruti’s R&D division and will be produced at the Manesar plant in Haryana state. Maruti’s R&D division currently employs 1,000 engineers and already developed the R3 concept car, SX4 Hybrid and Eeco Charge electric car.

The new three row seat passenger car is expected to have an engine size of 1,500cc, with an annual production of 50,000 units per year. It will be based on the R3 concept car, which was unveiled at the 10th Auto Expo in New Delhi in January, which also features three rows of seats."

So, here comes a new station-wagon model, but with 3-row seating. Scope for another flop?

By the way, is the 1500cc engine the new K-series engine?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th October 2010 at 21:28.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why would it be a flop?
Infact there is a serious paucity of options in the small people mover segment.There is only the omni/ecco in the lower end and the Innova/xylo at the upper end.
If maruti can launch the R3 based car in the 4-5 lakhs bracket i think it will do fairly well.

Last edited by avishar : 29th October 2010 at 21:51.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:08   #3
BHPian

Looks like indian form of a limo. There exists a market for this vehicle for sure. But will maruti suceed. If it is placed in the upper bracket, does maruti has it in them to pull it off?(no sucess in 10L + segment till now).
If placed in the lower end, taxi segment will be target. Will taxi wala's buy maruti's?

Let's wait and see.

I always wondered what stoped tata from doing this to marina.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:38   #4
BHPian

Sounds like a good deal. I don't think it's going to conk in the indian market as this is going to be one of it's kind sedan.

Customers like me fancy 3 row seating which currently is available only in SUV's. I went to the expo this year but did not spot this car there.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:44   #5
BHPian

Looks like a good Idea. We really lack small 7-seater car like the Kia Rondo or Mazda5. Should do well if Maruti takes cues from either of these two cars and not from its own Versa.
Old 30th October 2010, 02:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

i expect it to be something like this

http://www.carblog.co.za/wp-content/...va-concept.jpg
Old 30th October 2010, 05:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
i expect it to be something like this

http://www.carblog.co.za/wp-content/...va-concept.jpg
Did they reveal this concept in Delhi autoshow? But I am glad there is a good looking vehicle from Maruti. Seems like Maruti took the "idea" of Indiva from TML .
Old 30th October 2010, 06:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

It must be the R III they are talking about, the concept of which was shown at the Auto Expo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-new-mpv.html
Attached Thumbnails
New 3-row passenger car from Maruti Suzuki?-4255415372_6907db3b53.jpg  

Old 30th October 2010, 07:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

The current 3 row seating vehicle options in the entry level market available are Eeco, Omni, Venture. These cars lack some basic features that are taken for granted and also not considered a safe options.
Apart from this we are looking at MUVs which are above 7 lakhs bracket.
There is really no practical car in the 5-7 lakhs price range that has three rows of seating except winger, which is not usually bought for private use.

Personally I would like to buy a 7 seater in this price range as we would like to travel with our relatives. The Eeco, Venture are too crude and there is no way I will buy them.
The other options are MUVs which are good no doubt, but is not making much sense to buy them as we will not using them as often to justify the purchase.

Last edited by speedmiester : 30th October 2010 at 07:38.
Old 30th October 2010, 19:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Launch from this and also Toyota Avanza to address the problem of MUVs or rather family 7 seaters in the 4-6 lac segment of the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks