Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 13:11   #1
BHPian

RTO rules for short stay in B'lore???

Hi All -

I'll be traveling to B'lore from Hyderabad for a period of 6months. I've paid lifetime road tax in Hyderabad.
If I take my car to B'lore just for 6 months, do I've to still pay lifetime road-tax to Karnataka RTO?
If not, then is there anyway to pay temporary road-tax or anyway to skip it (legally)?

Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 13:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

From what I heard, it looks like the comissioner of police in BLR has generously allowed out of state vehicles to ply in the city & asked the cops not to unnecessarily trouble them unless they violate any rules. Read that, unless they violate any rules.

So IMO, you can drive free unless you're not breaking any law. I would accept to an extent on this because I wasn't stopped by any of the cops last weekend when I was at BLR.

Another option would be is to get out of the city for once in 3 months towards Hyderabad & get back into BLR. Ensure that you cross atleast one toll so that you can show the proof of toll receipt that you just entered into BLR. Legally you can drive any out of state vehicle upto a period of 3 months.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Legally you can drive any out of state vehicle upto a period of 3 months...
Legally you can drive/keep any out of state vehicle upto period of 11 Months not 3 months provided that you keep ample proof. These days cops not catching out of state vehicles in BLR so be relax and enjoy your drive in Bangalore. There are lots of AP registered car plying in BLR.
Old 9th November 2010, 14:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Anjumishra - Sorry, you're right on the 11 months.

@rendezvous - Here's something more for your information - http://rto.kar.nic.in/faq1.htm
Old 9th November 2010, 14:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

In addition to this, the cops don't catch even the two wheelers now unless they break the laws or jump the signals ! I for one, have a KL registration car and I don't jump signals ! Keep it cool and you will be spared. As far as I know, even if the cops catch you for some issues, they cant charge you for the other state registration ! they have to fine you only for the violation that you did!
Old 9th November 2010, 16:38   #6
BHPian

From what I understood, the relaxation is from the cops, not from the RTO folks. Does anyone know if the RTO is still on the lookout for non-KA vehicles?
Old 9th November 2010, 17:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Anjumishra - Sorry, you're right on the 11 months.

@rendezvous - Here's something more for your information - http://rto.kar.nic.in/faq1.htm
I may be wrong but I think 11 months is the deadline for re-registration and not for paying up the state road tax. Both are two different things.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

As per RTO, Inform RTO for change of State within 15 days of entering the state and pay lifetime tax and then claim a refund later.

The catch :

- You need to register with a KA number for claiming your refund back.
- To register you need a NOC from the earlier registered state.
- Assuming you registered, then you need to run after the RTO to claim the refund(once you move again).

Its not public friendly et all, if one needs to see how not to get people to follow the RTO rules, this is one example.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:41   #9
BHPian

I shipped my Delhi registered car to Bangalore from Gurgaon in June this year. I have been stopped by the cops when they are checking for drunk driving numerous times and recently even got a ticket for going 90 when the speed limit is 80

I use my car daily and I have never been questioned about paying Karnataka Road Tax.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:47   #10
BHPian

The simple solution here:

Take a fresh "pollution under control certificate" (PUC) right before you start to bangalore. Also keep the latest petrol bills and toll-gate passes.
Cops in any case cannot charge you for using an outside state car.
In case of an direct RTO attack, be bold and strongly prove that you are here for a short visit.
Old 9th November 2010, 18:10   #11
BHPian

As the above poster mentioned, just keep a PUC certificate from HYD handy and keep it updated during your trips.

When I moved from HYD to BLR, my company transfer policy covers payment of road taxes up to 2 cars (came up to 2.3 lacs). But after a week of driving in Bangalore, I've decided not to waste companies money on the sub-standard road infrastructure in BLR

IMHO, it is not worth paying even a single penny as road-tax in Bangalore for the creaky road infrastructure when compared to HYD. I'm dead sure the astronomic taxes collected are simply feeding the Babus. The city should in fact pay us for the damages caused by unmarked bone breakers a.k.a speed breakers, uncovered manholes and moon craters on the so-called roads here. Don't even get me started on the traffic congestion...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 9th November 2010 at 18:13.
Old 9th November 2010, 18:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Rendezvous - Just drive the car in BLR city. I'm sure you'll be fine. Last weekend I drove through the city without having my license either & no one bothered. Do not worry about tax or registration, half the city is populated only with MH, KL, AP & TN vehicles. Just keep all your docos fine including PUC & you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Vampire
IMHO, it is not worth paying even a single penny as road-tax in Bangalore for the creaky road infrastructure...The city should in fact pay us for the damages caused by unmarked bone breakers a.k.a speed breakers, uncovered manholes and moon craters on the so-called roads here.

Last edited by aargee : 9th November 2010 at 18:14.
Old 9th November 2010, 19:01   #13
BHPian

I have a TN car and have been driving around freely. Occassionally they tend to stop you (especially at Whitefield due to sheer number of out of state vehicles). Apart from that its fine. I have a copy to the news clipping wherin the Commissioner stated that cops cannot stop random vehicles in my glove box! Never used it though. But yes, get PUC from the home state before entering Bangalore. The RTO however are a different bunch. They check for non KA vehicles only on the ring roads every 2 weeks, generally on Tuesday/Wednesday. Thats from my personal experience. Oh yea, and one more thing, if you give your vehicle for service in bangalore, request them not to put their service sticker on the car windows, thats a dead give away to the RTO. Trust me, they are not as stupid as what we think!
Old 18th May 2015, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Re: RTO rules for short stay in B'lore???

Is this true of TN as well? I will be in Chennai with a KA registered car for up to 11 months. What do I need to do?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks