Team-BHP - Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/92206-tata-merlin-safari-replacement-update-uncovered-pics-pg-90-a-5.html)

Tata should really upgrade the design at the time of launch.

So, the SAFARI-18 looks like this ...Cool

Quote:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1604539
Apparently in the above thread the last word Jan10 should have read Jna-Mar2011 stupid:.

Nice catch

I hope it wont be another minor facelift, the 3.0 and 2.2 went through those. A new styling for the exterior would be great and i am eagerly waiting.

If this is to go by, mahindra W201 SUV looks stylish, so tata cannot miss the bus again:

SCOOP! Mahindra?s future products | Autocar India

Eagerly watching this thread for updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhilesh51 (Post 2143408)
Safari 18 will be launched in Jan end - Feb beginning. It will have same platform and engine. Gearbox will be tuned. Exteriors will be tweaked. Interiors pretty much overhauled. Spare wheel under the body.

Does Safari 18 get the dual mass flywheel that features in Aria?

That bonnet looks like a direct lift from the older gen Land-Rovers. Taking design cues is fine, blatant copying is not. They'll dilute the Safari brand this way.

Somehow the LR treatment has not worked on the Safari. The new bumper reminds me of the Qualis, while the boxy front end does not go with the curvy A-pillar and roofline.

The original Safari when launched had path-breaking looks for an Indian SUV. Now after all these years and an LR design team to boot, this is the new Safari?! If anything, they have taken a step or two back in time. The oversize greenhouse is so yesterday. Time for something shorter, wider and smarter. Come on Tata, please do a re-think before it is too late.

I've liked the shape of the new Safari shown in pics. Most probably this would be a stop-gap solution before a completely new Safari arrives with a new platform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunishsamuel (Post 2145176)
I hope it wont be another minor facelift, the 3.0 and 2.2 went through those. A new styling for the exterior would be great and i am eagerly waiting.

If this is to go by, mahindra W201 SUV looks stylish, so tata cannot miss the bus again:

SCOOP! Mahindra?s future products | Autocar India

Eagerly watching this thread for updates.

I agree. Tata should pull up their socks and try to be a step ahead of Mahindra - especially in the area of 'modern design'.

My first thought on seeing the pic was that this was the face-lift of the Safari and could not be the all-new version. The A-pillar, upright windscreen and the dash gives it away. It's too old school to be an all-new design. Tata's all-new products would always be contemporary, like the Aria or the Vista/Manza.

I think that the Safari still looks pretty good, and should be even better with the face-lifts and some major quality improvements. There's nothing really wrong with the old platform, it's just the quality that needs to be improved. And I feel that they're going in the right direction with this upgrade. It looks like a very mature design. Not very exciting, but then some people like classy, non-flashy design. The Safari could afford lose some of the excess fat, and it has been long overdue for a bumper/hood change. I hope that the rear too has been refreshed in a similar fashion.

The best thing about an older platform is that it is cheaper to make. The Safari platform is a crash-tested, proven one whose only bugbears have been iffy quality and build. If Tata manages to address those issues as well and convince the buyers that they have done so, I see this selling very well indeed.

As far as a facelift is concerned, the safari is headed in the right direction. But insofar as a mid-end life upgrade is concerned Tata should look at this.
1. Weight reduction of the safari platform.
2. New gearbox-fly differential.
3. Rehashed interiors with better quality plastics.
4. Eliminate rattles.

I think Tata should STOP facelifting the Safari. These cheap cosmetic jobs arent really worth it. Its time to bring in a NEW Safari with loads of new changes and fresh effective and aggresive design.

The existing Safari has too many flaws to correct.
Lagre panel gaps, excessive wind noise beyond 100 kph, leaking HVAC(read as external air entrywith ac on), poor beadings, unadjustable backrest on the rear bench seats, no bucket seat option instead of the rear bench, bad design of grabhandles for all doors, poor steering design, steering not reach adjustable & very small rake adjust, needs smaller turning radius, poor position of handbrakes, lack of storage box between arm rests, excessive body roll, needs 17"rims with fatter rubber, cheap quality of ac louvres, lack of dead pedal, no cruise control, needs better jack cover, needs better quality of wheel nuts that dont rust & jam in 3 months, cheap plastic wheel covers for the alloys that keep falling off, more accurate temp gauge in dash, cheap quality of sunvisors, cheap quality & design of vanity mirror in the sunvisor, sturdier childlocks that dont lock accidentally by just slight touch, the child lock for rear windows on the driver door is like a chor switch, pathetic clock on the dashboard, needs less noisier ac blower without reducing the effectiveness, concealed in roof top ac unit, lesser engine noise beyond 100kph, cheap quality cigarette lighter, lack of reading light in the back seat, needs better and more effective and utilitarian dashboard design, cheap poorly integrated plastic covers on the in cabin A pillars, etc etc. These were just a few things I could think of right now.

I feel instead of TML fixing the Safari in bits n pieces with botox treatments, its better they get their act together, get it right once and for all or come up with a brand new Safari that carries the best of the existing Safari without its existing design & quality flaws.
I still love my Safari, but dont like TML's half hearted commitment towards this brute.

Great scoop! :thumbs up

The Merlin is not impressive. Not the least bit. It looks like a refreshed Safari. A softer looking car than the out-going one. Something similar to what Ford did to the Fusion to create the Figo IMO. It will probably come with new mechanical bits, but come on Tata. Give us a brand-new and genuine replacement. There is no doubt that the Safari is a legendary SUV. But it's high time Tata makes some significant changes to the exterior.

My guess is that the 2.2 Dicor will continue to do duty in this replacement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaserQ (Post 2146493)
Somehow the LR treatment has not worked on the Safari. The new bumper reminds me of the Qualis, while the boxy front end does not go with the curvy A-pillar and roofline.

The original Safari when launched had path-breaking looks for an Indian SUV. Now after all these years and an LR design team to boot, this is the new Safari?! If anything, they have taken a step or two back in time. The oversize greenhouse is so yesterday. Time for something shorter, wider and smarter. Come on Tata, please do a re-think before it is too late.

My sentiments exactly !

I am seriously not impressed by whats on offer in the form of new safari or safari18. It doesn't look refreshed as been touted for so long now. A bit Qualis like with the sweeping front bumper. This is hardly the way to go considering most would still swear by the current Safari design when compared to this one. I hope TML gets some serious market feelers/feedback before launching something like this.

I am not a fan of Tata's front to the rear 'mix and match' design theory, Indigo Manza case in point. I have a feeling, the Safari is going the same way!

Autocar India on pg 33 of its latest edition (Dec-10) reports

"Tata Motors is mulling a seven-seater MPV based on the Indigo Manza platform. The project is still at the feasibility stage and has'nt yet been given the green light.A target price of Rs 7-8 Lakh has been set and a lot will depend if the mini MPV can meet this price point."

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya79india (Post 2148150)
Autocar India on pg 33 of its latest edition (Dec-10) reports

"Tata Motors is mulling a seven-seater MPV based on the Indigo Manza platform. The project is still at the feasibility stage and has'nt yet been given the green light.A target price of Rs 7-8 Lakh has been set and a lot will depend if the mini MPV can meet this price point."

This one, I reckon, will go directly against the Mahindra Xylo, which seems to be doing pretty well in our market. I won't be surprised if this new MPV will be introduced in many several (cheaper?) variants, and eventually replacing the aging Sumo. :)