Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 18:53   #16
BANNED

Re: Price wars, round 2: BMW 320i CE launched @ Rs. 23,95,000 ex Delhi

seen the car in person... it is same as my 320d ce except for the engine tag.. rest interiors, exteriors, seats, dash trim.. everything is the same...

320i is a lamer and not worth over the 320d. thats my opinion..

320d does 0-100 in 7.6
320i does 0-100 in 9.8

beat that...
Old 9th December 2010, 23:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Here's a question I would want to ask the forum and get a petrolhead's opinion
As we all know, BMW is known for its driving dynamics and 3 is a driver oriented car as compared to the 5 which is more luxurious, Now that the 320d and the 320i are priced within almost a lakh of each other, For pure driving pleasure, minus the gadgets, which should one buy? the petrol or the diesel?
The 3er is a heavy car and the 4 banger struggles to move it (relatively sepeaking). I would consider the 320i with a manual transmission but the AT further saps the power. The petrol is noticeably lighter on its feet compared the the diesel
Old 11th December 2010, 20:56   #18
BHPian

what could be truly affordable is the 1 series with a hot engine, at what price point? In UK its around 17/21 lakhs. Now that would be our Beemer, for real, and real VFM. What say guys??
Old 11th December 2010, 21:02   #19
BHPian

Wow, that is some discussion. Allow me to add my two cents.

I have owned an E90 330i manual in the past, and it was a hoot to drive. I put on 38000 miles in one year, sold it and moved back to India. It was an inline-6 motor with 255 bhp, was quick, could embarrass sports cars like SLK, 350Z, RX-8. It was not all straightline speed but control of that high speed was so beautiful in it - the balance, handling, braking. The joy of redlining a petrol car is addicting, but the motor needs to have some juice. If it's a 4-banger producing 160 bhp, it will be fun, but only until a guy in his pete'd out skoda hands it back to you at the light. To enjoy the beauty of BMW's handling, you need more than 160 horses. In my opinion, you're wasting so much potential in the chassis.

Mind you, this is from a petrolhead's POV. For a layman, it's entirely a different story. I was actually surprised when a friend who runs a car dealership told me that not even 10% of the people coming into his store talk about power, or understand things like bhp or torque. They see the way the car looks, if it's petrol or diesel, ask about mileage and how much it costs. That's it.
Old 12th December 2010, 15:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

@issigonis> Brother, to me a BMW chassis will last me for about 10 years even in India (few German friends have even older cars that are modified for track days), and because the clear indication of pricing if for people to stretch their budget and reach the lowest rung thus my statement that it will soon be phased out and why would someone invest so much money in a soon to be phased out car. Nothing against the engine or the car. It is for upwardly mobile young crowd, people going in for Accord or Superb will not buy a cramped and featureless car after stretching.

As Sledge puts it it will be a hoot to drive with extra horses that explore the absolute of driving dynamics. A 4 banger can be tricked too but I am sure many wont play around the expensive out of maintenance car.

A 320d at just a lakh more makes so much more sense as the running cost is almost half and the torque is addictive.

Second hand market, well that is another story.

Cheers!
Old 12th December 2010, 15:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
I cannot understand who in their right mind would by the weakest 3 series in the market. You cannot be driven in it, its not fun to drive as it barely qualifies as fast and all the bells and whistles are missing. It handles *full stop*

23+ lakhs for that ?? I'd rather buy a fiesta S and soup it up for a fraction of the cost.

IMHO this just dilutes the brand and gives the yuppies a pose mobile. Sad.

BMW stop dissolving your brand value with these cheap volume pushing tactics and bring out the 335i and 330d.
>>>
Ash_vtec,

You've answered your concerns yourself. This stratagem is to increase sales and create that buzz. For most people, owning a Bimmer ( a'pose mobile' well said), any Bimmer, is likely more important than enjoying one. And if it comes cheaper than hitherto, all the better.

I've seen people buy the 320i and if you ask them you will realise that their reasons are not very practical ( they could have easily bought a Superb/Passat/Accord for the space, comfort, relaxed driving but chose to buy a less spacious car because of the halo). But that is how the world works and BMW will laugh its way to the bank.

Good for them, as long as they keep the in line sixes in their inventory for minority tastes!

Regards, drive safe
Old 12th December 2010, 16:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

They should have launched the X1 in this price range instead of that ridiculous 30+ they have actually gone for. Opportunity lost.
Old 12th December 2010, 17:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
They should have launched the X1 in this price range instead of that ridiculous 30+ they have actually gone for. Opportunity lost.
compeletly agree with you. I have been harbouring that fantasy for very long now. When BMW can give a hot 1 series coupe for 21K pounds, then why not here?

Imagine, a 1 series coupe with 304 bhp at 25 lakhs, they will still make money, and lots.

And for guys who need a show off car, even this will fit the bill, even better I'd say, with 2 doors, and may be topless too.

Let's face it, 1 series is not too smaller than the 3, what say guys, do I make a good case here??
Old 12th December 2010, 20:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
compeletly agree with you. I have been harbouring that fantasy for very long now. When BMW can give a hot 1 series coupe for 21K pounds, then why not here?

Imagine, a 1 series coupe with 304 bhp at 25 lakhs, they will still make money, and lots.

And for guys who need a show off car, even this will fit the bill, even better I'd say, with 2 doors, and may be topless too.

Let's face it, 1 series is not too smaller than the 3, what say guys, do I make a good case here??
Well, while I completely agree with you, it is very unlikely to feature in BMW's plans for India. The aforementioned option will not fetch volume or sales margin for the company. A keen driver who can afford a beemer 3 will go for the famed in-line 6, or the diesel.
But there could be many in the market who want to just own the brand and feel great about it, the CE trim of 320i may make sense.

Actually it is not a bad buy- it is a BMW

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th December 2010 at 20:21. Reason: formatting
Old 13th December 2010, 05:27   #25
BHPian

Now that BMW and MBIL coming out with corporate edition by removing some bells and whistles, why not Audi taking this initiative?? Just that they don't want to strip it or they are very much happy with what they are today??
Old 13th December 2010, 21:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Now that BMW and MBIL coming out with corporate edition by removing some bells and whistles, why not Audi taking this initiative?? Just that they don't want to strip it or they are very much happy with what they are today??
unlikely that they are happy, but looks like VW is more interested and concentrating on other brands for volumes.

In any case most Indians do not consider Audi in the same esteem as that of the other 2 germans, identity crises for Audi? I would think twice if I had to opt for Audi over BMW, may be I would't, even if the difference was 3 lakhs, and I do not think the difference would be any more than that. IS it really worth it?
Old 14th December 2010, 14:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
unlikely that they are happy, but looks like VW is more interested and concentrating on other brands for volumes.

In any case most Indians do not consider Audi in the same esteem as that of the other 2 germans, identity crises for Audi? I would think twice if I had to opt for Audi over BMW, may be I would't, even if the difference was 3 lakhs, and I do not think the difference would be any more than that. IS it really worth it?
Well the current A4 is more spacious than the 3. However, the petrol is FWD and the other option is a 3.2 quattro. If I had to chose between the A4 3.2 quattro and the 330i, I would pick the 330i for the simple reason that the bimmer comes with RWD (no snow here so I dont really care about the quattro). I don't care that the quattro will give me better traction. I want the PS3 GT5 experience for REAL! Also the inline 6 is way smoother than the V6. The weight distribution of the bimmer is also near 50-50 which is not the case with the Audi.

The Audi is little more spacious alright but that's the only advantage it has over the 3 series. However, if the choice was between the 320i and the 2.0 TFSI then I would probably go with the 2.0 since it has more bhp and more torque. I know that I wont get the RWD experience but thats ok since at 160 bhp and so much weight there's not much I can do with the RWD.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
The Audi is little more spacious alright but that's the only advantage it has over the 3 series. However, if the choice was between the 320i and the 2.0 TFSI then I would probably go with the 2.0 since it has more bhp and more torque. I know that I wont get the RWD experience but thats ok since at 160 bhp and so much weight there's not much I can do with the RWD.
The 2.0T is a shade over 200bhp. Its the 1.8T which is 160bhp.

The 320i is quite a slouch. And going by the review here the 330i is a bit disappointing, but I can personally say the 3.2fsi is bloody quick and fun to drive.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

raghav.carfreak,

Let me provide my choice and the reasons, with the reasons first.

Q 1. Why should I consider a Bimmer?
Ans. For its sporting dynamics (handling, especially on curves and its {hydraulic}steering feedback, its balance - front engine, rear wheel drive) and also for the killer reason - its outstanding in line sixes

Q2. Why a 3 Series?
Ans.Affordable (wrt 5), entry into the Bimmer club, apart from the reasons above

Now, between a 320i CE and a 320d CE ,whereas the i has a high revving and a relatively smoother engine, the d will have greater torque, will run on plain diesel ( the i will require atleast 95 RON) and will have greater re-sale value. Also both have the inline fours, so no comparative advantage there.

The 320d CE for me- if I have the cash

QED.

Rider - these were my reasons alone.

Regards, drive safe

Hi Issigonis - Nice to connect back on this forum.

Liked your summation of the choice between the 320i and 320d. Having looked at the option of a pre-owned 325i before I bought my pre-owned 320d, I can surely say that I was dissappointed with the petrol car's performance, while the torque on the 320d blows you away.

Given it's performance & cost effectiveness, I vote hands down for the 320d. Maybe a manual 320i at a lower price might still sell.

And the CE version of a BMW is a pleasure to drive compared to the loaded Superb, Passat or Accord. I tried out all these options before plonking my money on the 320d CE.
Old 14th December 2010, 19:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The 2.0T is a shade over 200bhp. Its the 1.8T which is 160bhp.

The 320i is quite a slouch. And going by the review here the 330i is a bit disappointing, but I can personally say the 3.2fsi is bloody quick and fun to drive.
>>>
akshay1234,

Any other 330i owner whom you know who has had a different (read more thrilling) experience? I'd like to hear it.

Honestly, am surprised that an in line six with the N52B30 developing ~ 250-275 bhp and ~ 300 Nm of torque in a Bimmer chassis could be disappointing in performance.

Regards, drive safe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks