Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 10:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto is 2010's World wide Best Seller

Another reports which to some extent corrects but again misinterprets.
Read it here.

Maruti Alto ‘NOT’ world’s best selling car ‘BUT’ best selling ‘SuperMini’ | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

VW golf and polo sell more than Indian Maruti Alto even if just supermini's sales are to be considered. (Thank Matt's Blog, atleast there can be some factual numbers to browse through)

Unless Someone is combining A-Star and Alto's worldwide sales it cant be true.

I am hoping someday Nano Can capture that world's highest selling car tag just like Hero Honda has captured that tag for Highest selling two Wheelar.

Last edited by anu21v : 21st April 2011 at 10:54.
Old 26th January 2012, 12:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's Alto outsells all other cars in the world again (2011)!

"The Maruti Suzuki Alto outpaced the likes of VW Gol and Fiat Uno to become the bestselling car of the world for the second time in a row. The Alto sold over 300,000 units followed by VW Gol in Brazil at 293,454 units, Fiat Uno (Brazil) at 273,537 units and VW Golf in Germany at 258,059 units. Another gem from Suzuki’s stable – Wagon R completed the top 5 best selling cars of the world."

Maruti Alto outsells every other car in the WORLD, again!

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2013 at 10:43. Reason: I stand corrected :). It is indeed Gol
Old 26th January 2012, 13:04   #18
BHPian

I think it is sales for one country as VW golf figures at two places in that list.
Old 8th January 2013, 14:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

VW's Gol beats Alto to become the largest selling car in 2012.

After the Maruti Suzuki Alto topped the global sales charts for two consecutive years, the Volkswagen Gol has overtaken the Japanese small car in 2012 global sales. This means that the Gol becomes the world’s largest selling small car, with Alto now being at the second spot. While 286,833 units of Maruti Alto were sold in 2012, the VW Gol overtook the Alto by clocking 293,293 sales. The third largest selling car is the Fiat Uno, which registered 255,838 sales last year.

It is being said that the Alto might have slipped to second spot due to the arrival of new model and customers having to delay their purchase till the new Alto was launched. Another reason could be the rising petrol prices in India.

http://motoroids.com/news/volkswagen...t-selling-car/

Last edited by noopster : 9th January 2013 at 10:43.
Old 8th January 2013, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It is being said that the Alto might have slipped to second spot due to the arrival of new model and customers having to delay their purchase till the new Alto was launched. Another reason could be the rising petrol prices in India.
Labour issues and strikes in Maruti factories during August can be termed the sole reason. That is probably around 10k in lost sales for August and more than the difference from Gol. Even with all other factors, Alto would have still been at #1.
Old 8th January 2013, 18:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW's Gol beats Alto to become the largest selling car in 2012.

Isn't this article totally untrue? Are we talking about the world's largest selling small car? I believe in the US the top 3-4 sellers (F150 pickup, Camry, Accord) etc. all sell more than the numbers quoted in the article and Ford has already claimed that the Focus has sold more than 2 million worldwide this year. I'm not sure what this article on motoroids is talking about.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 19:56   #22
BHPian

I highly doubt this report. Or on a second thought, may be they are thinking that USA is not part of this world.

Highest selling vehicle in just USA for years have been Ford F150 and Ford sold 645,316 copies of the same in 2012. Top 5 vehicles sold in USA are above 300k. Then how come Golf or Alto with mere 300k units become world top seller?

Here is the link:

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...autosales.html

EDIT: I just read the said report. The headline says Largest selling car but in the detailed report, they mentioned Largest selling Small Car.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 8th January 2013 at 20:00.
Old 8th January 2013, 20:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I highly doubt this report. Or on a second thought, may be they are thinking that USA is not part of this world.

Highest selling vehicle in just USA for years have been Ford F150 and Ford sold 645,316 copies of the same in 2012. Top 5 vehicles sold in USA are above 300k. Then how come Golf or Alto with mere 300k units become world top seller?

Here is the link:

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...autosales.html

EDIT: I just read the said report. The headline says Largest selling car but in the detailed report, they mentioned Largest selling Small Car.
It is a misleading link though. And the article never says it clearly, which is why I also questioned its authenticity. Also, they should probably call out the definition of small car, as there are smaller cars than that, are they called micro cars or something? Who comes up with these definitions anyway?
Old 9th January 2013, 10:26   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a silly report. 300K units doesn't make for the world's best selling car.

A look at Matt's superb website shows that the fight was clearly between the Corolla & Focus up until October 2012.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I think it is sales for one country as VW golf figures at two places in that list.
I made the same mistake (check my edits to VW2010's post). But turns out that VW Gol is in fact a car in its own right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Volkswagen Gol
(Not to be confused with Volkswagen Golf)
Manufacturer Volkswagen
Production 1980–present
Predecessor Volkswagen Brasilia
Class Subcompact car
Layout FF layout
The Volkswagen Gol is a subcompact car manufactured by Volkswagen do Brasil since 1980 as Volkswagen's entry-level car in the South American market—where it succeeded the South American VW Beetle (Fusca). Variants of the Gol were marketed in North America as the Volkswagen Fox from 1987–1993—and manufactured and marketed in Iran under the Gol nameplate.

The Gol has been the best-selling car in Brazil since 1987 as well as Argentina since 1988 with over 5 million manufactured in South America since 1980.

The Gol takes its name from the Brazilian word for "goal."
Old 10th January 2013, 11:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What a silly report. 300K units doesn't make for the world's best selling car.

A look at Matt's superb website shows that the fight was clearly between the Corolla & Focus up until October 2012.
I think the report is for the best selling small car and it is correct in that, I read this report in HT newspaper and there the word 'small car' category was clearly mentioned. The fight was between VW gol, Fiat Uno and Maruti Alto for the top honours.

@noopster, you are right!

Last edited by rock75 : 10th January 2013 at 11:58.
Old 10th January 2013, 19:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post

I think the report is for the best selling small car and it is correct in that, I read this report in HT newspaper and there the word 'small car' category was clearly mentioned. The fight was between VW gol, Fiat Uno and Maruti Alto for the top honours.

@noopster, you are right!
Please read the headline of the report and other comments too. The headline says 'World's largest selling car' and not 'World's largess selling small car'. Only in detailed report, they have mentioned word: small car.
Old 1st March 2014, 10:05   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Alto tops world small car sales - 2013

Quote:
Alto, India’s largest selling car for nine consecutive years, registered a 7.3% decline in sales in 2013 to 265,777 units but was marginally ahead of Toyota’s small car in Japan — Aqua — that saw a 2% drop in sales to 262,367 units. The largest selling small car of 2012, Volkswagen Gol saw a 13% fall in sales in 2013 to 255,057 units in a sluggish Brazilian market that also saw the Fiat Uno witness a 28% decline to fall below the 200,000 unit sales mark for the year.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/...on-TopStories)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks