Team-BHP - Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/96755-scoop-chevrolet-beat-diesel-pictures-details-update-brochure-pg-22-a-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuboid (Post 2320789)
Beat is most definitely NOT infinitely bigger than i10. The rear space and boot is smaller than i10. Both legspace and width of Beat rear seat is worse than i10. I won't argue on the sexier tag as that is subjective.

Moving back to topic, i think diesel would help Beat sales to have some turn-around. However, I don't think it would alter the story completely. Beat is being shunned not only for lack of diesel, but for overall practicality of the car. Neither of wagon-r, i10 has a diesel, still sale is 4-5 times of Beat.

You are right. Beat is not infinitely bigger. In fact it is not even bigger as far as interior space is concerned. But exterior is bigger. But on looks quotient, it is waaay better.

About "looks are subjective" thing, let me tell you something. No offence meant, but if you are using this phrase then it only means one thing -- you KNOW that your car is not good looking. Have you ever seen a Swift/Civic/Cruze/Linea owner use this phrase? Still not convinced? Ok, line up 10 guys who do not have any bias towards Hyundai or Chevy badge. Park same colour Beat and i10 next to each other and then ask these 10 guys to pick out which car looks stunning. Only looks, mind you. And you will get your answer.

As for success of Beat D, just wait till it is launched and then see for yourself.

Looks are subjective, so looking past that parameter, I said I was going to wait for the i10 D because, Hyundai has better dealership, the i10 commands a better resale value and the Crdi mill from hyundai is speculated to have around 70 PS! though its definitely not coming anytime soon. It might come in the next gen i10 probably, then looks might be as good or even better than the Beat, going by Hyundai's new fluidic sculptures :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 2320910)
You are right. Beat is not infinitely bigger. In fact it is not even bigger as far as interior space is concerned. But exterior is bigger. But on looks quotient, it is waaay better.

About "looks are subjective" thing, let me tell you something. No offence meant, but if you are using this phrase then it only means one thing -- you KNOW that your car is not good looking.

Not necessarily. "Looks are subjective" means just that -- what is good to you may be ugly for some other. You may accuse me of being biased towards the I10, but my wife, who knows (and cares) little about cars simply dislikes the Beat for its flashy-chromy-jazzy looks. "The Beat looks like a giant sized version of one of those made-in-china toy cars," is her reaction. And guess what? I have quite a few friends who would echo her sentiments. But I am more than willing to accept that there would be many others who would love the looks of the Beat. The same argument holds good for the I10 or for any other car for that matter. No point in comparing fruits with vegetables, unless of course, you happen to be a dietician.

Quote:

Ok, line up 10 guys who do not have any bias towards Hyundai or Chevy badge. Park same colour Beat and i10 next to each other and then ask these 10 guys to pick out which car looks stunning. Only looks, mind you. And you will get your answer.
The results need not always reflect your expectations. And mind you, many don't judge or buy a car by its looks alone.

Quote:

As for success of Beat D, just wait till it is launched and then see for yourself.
Diesel alone does not necessarily guarantee truckloads of sales. The Alto, Wagon-R, and I10 are consistently the top three bestsellers for quite some time now and none of these cars have diesel options till now. On the other hand, the Ritz has the famed diesel and petrol options and yet, does not exceed monthly sales of 7000 on an average, which is less than half of the sales of the I10 and the Wagon-R.

The success of a car depends on a number of other factors as well and the I10 (going by sales alone) appeals to a lot more people than the Beat. I doubt the Beat, even with its diesel option, can easily overtake the sales of the I10.

Quote:

Ok, line up 10 guys who do not have any bias towards Hyundai or Chevy badge. Park same colour Beat and i10 next to each other and then ask these 10 guys to pick out which car looks stunning. Only looks, mind you. And you will get your answer.

So to explain it in a simpler way, I like the Beat while my dad likes i10 more. :) So it boils down to personal taste. I think Beat is designed for the youth - Have not really see even middle aged persons driving a Beat [Its usually the young guys / girls who drive it as it appeals to them more] where as I see i10 being driven by people of all ages. Also I might have missed other aged people driving a Beat and you might have come across some one like that - Please note that I am taking about the majority here.

And regarding the space, I in fact found the i10 better spacious than my swift. I have not seen a Beat's interior, but it should be cramped / equivalent to a swift I assume.

Quote:

So just being curious, what do you think / assume will be the sales number be once Beat D is launched. Currently its near the 3K mark with just petrol model.

Quote:

About "looks are subjective" thing, let me tell you something. No offence meant, but if you are using this phrase then it only means one thing -- you KNOW that your car is not good looking. Have you ever seen a Swift/Civic/Cruze/Linea owner use this phrase? Still not convinced? Ok, line up 10 guys who do not have any bias towards Hyundai or Chevy badge. Park same colour Beat and i10 next to each other and then ask these 10 guys to pick out which car looks stunning. Only looks, mind you. And you will get your answer.

Somewhere in this forum, a comment was made as 'Beat's rear looks mal-nutritioned, while the front is on steroids' - very correct, and enhances that toy-car look. And yes, I can guarantee that the "looks-only-test" would have enough people to shun Beat in favour of i10. But all those folks need not have your taste - that does not mean they regret their car not being good-looking. There are enough people across age-groups to find Beat "weird" .

As per your "Have you ever seen a Swift/Civic/Cruze/Linea owner use this phrase?" Hell Yes, I have seen a lot of people finding Swift resembling a frog - but I like Swift as the third most good-looking hatch after Polo and Fabia. One of my colleagues recently bought SX4, because he did-not like Linea's boot - I can't imagine that.

Beat, as I have seen, is mostly preferred by young singles. In India, that alone would not make a success, and the sales number reflect that. The diesel would not make it churn out 10k number per month.

Wow! i10 lovers to the rescue! One thing is for sure. No other car lovers are as vocal as Hyundai lovers. You can get away with criticising a Toyota, Honda, Skoda but not Hyundai. Do it and fan-brigade comes to the brand's rescue. Especially the hatch brigade, Santro and i10 brigade. How hard is to understand that i10 may have any number of virutes but looks are not one of these?

Now that it has come to this, let me tell you that I find all Hyundai hatchbacks ugly ( except i20 ). Personally I won't pay A-Star's money for an i10. Looks are very very very important to me. Can't manufacturers design good looking cars? As long as we buy ugly cars, they will continue to churn out eye-sores. i10 to Beat? It's like comparing Logan to Linea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 2321955)
Wow! i10 lovers to the rescue! One thing is for sure. No other car lovers are as vocal as Hyundai lovers. You can get away with criticising a Toyota, Honda, Skoda but not Hyundai. Do it and fan-brigade comes to the brand's rescue. Especially the hatch brigade, Santro and i10 brigade. How hard is to understand that i10 may have any number of virutes but looks are not one of these?

Now that it has come to this, let me tell you that I find all Hyundai hatchbacks ugly ( except i20 ). Personally I won't pay A-Star's money for an i10. Looks are very very very important to me. Can't manufacturers design good looking cars? As long as we buy ugly cars, they will continue to churn out eye-sores. i10 to Beat? It's like comparing Logan to Linea.

Sadly, you still are in your bubble thinking, you are the supreme judge when it comes to the beauty of the car, and still can't comprehend how people can have any other sense of aesthetics which does not conform with yours. Beauty, my friend, is really really subjective, and you would never be able to comprehend why some people find others (be it clothes or car or persons or anything else) attractive while you find them dull.

If you remember your original point, that "Beat is infinitely bigger than i10" that does bring out baseless bias - doesn't it?

Saying 'looks are subjective' does not imply people find their possession ugly. It implies you can have a separate opinion. It is OK to be opinionated, as long as you don't think that's the only opinion others can have. Open up your mind.

@cuboid and pgsagar

Its very easy to understand why you guys are fighting over the looks of Beat. pgsagar prefers his cars to be stylo and try to stand out in crowd. Its easy to make that out in his choice of cars. The ones that he mentioned are: 'Swift/Civic/Cruze/Linea'. All are bloody good looking cars.

Cuboid like his cars to be balanced and all rounded. So, looks may be one of his criteria, but it is just one criteria. The i10 is an okay looking car according to me but has a lot of other attributes.

Guys, chill.. You just have different preferences. Beat anyway has divided opinions on its looks. Some people find it smashing while others, oddball. I personally think that is looks cute and stylo, but looks good for a single driven car (especially for girls). BTW, my sis has booked one, and we should be getting one soon. Do you think that it is wise to stick around for diesel model? She is on a slightly tight budget and the LS model is costing us 3.8 lacs on road. I don't think that GM will price Beat diesel at 1 lakh premium on petrol model (as is the case with many other cars). Its a three potter and doesn't deserve that premium. Could this be launched in a month or so. She can't wait much. Any speculation on the price and time of release? Please talk in terms of ex- showroom prices, sGUrgaon and has nothing to do with the insane OTR pricing of Bangy.

PS: on a different note, I used to think that guys down south have very conservative opinions (especially about cars). I still do in general, but not about cars. That's coz I found those T-Jet threads from Bangy and Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 2322093)
PS: on a different note, I used to think that guys down south have very conservative opinions (especially about cars). I still do in general, but not about cars. That's coz I found those T-Jet threads from Bangy and Chennai.

:OT So true. People down south take 'more' informed decisions as compared to north.In fact I have tremendous respect for people who buy Beat, Linea Tjet, Fabia, Jazz, Tata Aria or the Yeti. It shows that they have a clear understanding of their needs and don't go by what the next door uncle suggested. Besides, the sheer number of Team BHPians from south is another indicator :)
Back to the topic, I too feel that the diesel engine might not have any ground shaking impact in terms of sales numbers. Beat looks like a vehicle that would have majority sales in metros and big cities, where people usually have an average running of less that 1K KMs (NCR being an exception). Not sure if the only thing stopping people from buying a beat is the diesel engine.
But one thing is for sure, they can expect a respectable growth in Punjab. Almost every single diesel automobile is seen in good numbers here (including Micra diesel).

Quote:

So true. People down south take 'more' informed decisions as compared to north.
:D I love this. You rubbed me the other way now. I don't think this is true either. I have many friends in (saddi)Delhi who are literally automotive freaks. The thing that I have realized is this: The factors that are important to people up north are somewhat different than people in south. People down south value practicality over style, mileage over power, value over brand. People up north love brand value. For e.g. chances of me getting swayed away by a VW car is much higher than by a Hyundai cars. I have many friends and relatives who simply bought ANHC coz its a Honda. The same is happening with (with even more ferver) with VW now. On the other hand, I have friends in Bangy who use their cars so frugally, I wonder why did they by a car anyway!

It is very difficult to say which approach is better than other. Check out this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sive-run.html. I have commented that in Delhi its almost criminal to ride your bike (commuter bikes like splendor etc. whose sole aim is to save fuel costs) after you buy a car whereas there are many people down south who commute of office regularly by bikes even after buying cars.

I am just trying to covey the difference in mindsets based on regions.:thumbs up So, to each his own.

Back to the topic: Any real indications on the price and arrival date of Beat diesel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 2322289)
:D I love this. You rubbed me the other way now. I don't think this is true either. I have many friends in (saddi)Delhi who are literally automotive freaks. The thing that I have realized is this: The factors that are important to people up north are somewhat different than people in south. People down south value practicality over style, mileage over power, value over brand. People up north love brand value. For e.g. chances of me getting swayed away by a VW car is much higher than by a Hyundai cars. I have many friends and relatives who simply bought ANHC coz its a Honda. The same is happening with (with even more ferver) with VW now. On the other hand, I have friends in Bangy who use their cars so frugally, I wonder why did they by a car anyway!

It is very difficult to say which approach is better than other. Check out this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sive-run.html. I have commented that in Delhi its almost criminal to ride your bike (commuter bikes like splendor etc. whose sole aim is to save fuel costs) after you buy a car whereas there are many people down south who commute of office regularly by bikes even after buying cars.

LOL Abhi. Been rubbing you the wrong way a lot lately. But I still feel that for each one guy who is knowledgable about automobiles, you will find 10 who have no clue why that Alto, i10, Swift, Dzire, ANHC or Verna is standing in their garage, other than the fact that 'everyone' suggested so. No offence to owners of these vehicles, I own one myself :)

One big reason why people drive cars in Delhi predominantly, is the weather and pollution. I stayed in Pune for three years, and driving a bike was never a pain. I assume its the same for Bangalore also(distance to office might offset this factor, but then again a bike will take you faster). Compare that to the heat, dirt and pollution of NCR, and driving a bike suddenly loses its charm :Frustrati

That's the reason why I said beat diesel might not be the kind of success some people are expecting it to be. As rightly pointed out earlier, Beat caters to a certain segment of buyers unlike the i10 or Swift. How many amongst that segment really want a diesel remains to be seen. However if launched at an attractive price point it might be a game changer, for the simple fact that we don't have any alternatives in the under 4L category.

Quote:

That's the reason why I said beat diesel might not be the kind of success some people are expecting it to be. As rightly pointed out earlier, Beat caters to a certain segment of buyers unlike the i10 or Swift. How many amongst that segment really want a diesel remains to be seen. However if launched at an attractive price point it might be a game changer, for the simple fact that we don't have any alternatives in the under 4L category.
True, but even though it may not appeal to everyone, the Beat diesel can be a hit. Simply because diesel is cheaper than petrol and gets subsidy too. Anything that is cheap to buy and own, and gives good mileage will do just fiiiine in India. If people can buy many cars that are plain ugly just coz they are cheap, the Beat is a stronger case than any of those cars.

I am not sure about the three potter though: 57 bhp three cylinder engine and prices at least 50K(75k?) above petrol doesn't sound very lucrative, does it? Can 57 bhp really lug 1000+ kgs around?

Its success will depend solely on two factors:

1. Price (much cheaper than rivals).
2. Fuel economy (18+ in city?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 2322570)
Can 57 bhp really lug 1000+ kgs around?

Abhi: When a 63bhp motor in bolero can lug 2000kgs, why not this ?

Quote:

Abhi: When a 63bhp motor in bolero can lug 2000kgs, why not this ?
The thing is: Will it be acceptable enough in terms of power? I have my doubts, but let's hope they prove me wrong.

Petrol to petrol, Figo is around 110 kg heavier than the Beat. The difference would be greater for the diesels as the Figo has a 1.4L engine as opposed to the Beat's proposed 1.0L engine. So the performance i'm guessing would be similar to the heavier Figo which has 11 bhp more.