Team-BHP - Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/96797-hyundai-india-unreasonable-long-term-maintenance-service-practices-38.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4640985)
I settled on Motul Multi ATF

Thank you so much for zeroing down on this ATF for the i10.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0791K915S#Ask
Would this Castrol product also be compatible for the i10. I believe it's cheaper because it's mineral oil as compared to the FS motul.

Also, did you change the auto trans filter along with the fluid? Im not able to source it here. Is it necessary to change this filter?

I'm also purchasing a used '08 i10 auto with 47k on the clock for my sister.
Thanks in advance!!

I finally had to go with the Liqui Moly as Motul was not in stock. You need an atf fluid that supports Hyundai SP III and I don’t see anything on the bottle of the Castrol fluid you linked to that explicitly supports it.

The atf filter is a steel mesh if I remember right so can just be cleaned.

Remove the oil pan to drain the maximum from the atf sump - you still drain around 4.5 litres so don’t buy the manual specified 6 litres capacity, get 5 litres for the first time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taha Mir (Post 4825101)
Thank you so much for zeroing down on this ATF for the i10.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B0791K915S#Ask
Would this Castrol product also be compatible for the i10. I believe it's cheaper because it's mineral oil as compared to the FS motul.

Also, did you change the auto trans filter along with the fluid? Im not able to source it here. Is it necessary to change this filter?

I'm also purchasing a used '08 i10 auto with 47k on the clock for my sister.
Thanks in advance!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4825184)
I finally had to go with the Liqui Moly as Motul was not in stock. You need an atf fluid that supports Hyundai SP III and I don’t see anything on the bottle of the Castrol fluid you linked to that explicitly supports it.

The atf filter is a steel mesh if I remember right so can just be cleaned.

Remove the oil pan to drain the maximum from the atf sump - you still drain around 4.5 litres so don’t buy the manual specified 6 litres capacity, get 5 litres for the first time.

Thank you kind sir! :)
What about the drain pan gasket? Did you reuse it or use gasket maker or order a new one?
Also, did you get this work done at Hyundai A.S.S?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taha Mir (Post 4825218)
Thank you kind sir! :)
What about the drain pan gasket? Did you reuse it or use gasket maker or order a new one?
Also, did you get this work done at Hyundai A.S.S?

The original gasket seemed fine but mine is a 2012 car. I got it done at a FNG.

Posting this ATF change on tbhp as this is a rarely done service on the i10 auto. (Could be slightly confusing topic for owners)

(MODS please shift this to the appropriate thread if required)

(Major thanks to @hserus for clearing my doubts on this subject)

Mine is a pre owned 2008 i10 AT run 47k kms.
I sourced liqui moly top tec 1200 atf which conforms to the SP3 grade from a local dealer.

Contrary to other i10 AT owners who drained 4-4.5 litres, I could only drain a total of 3-3.5 litres even after removing the transmission pan.
(ATF level was exactly at the top of the "hot" notch on the dipstick before this procedure.)

The transmission has a foam filter which doesn't require replacement during normal maintenance such as this. I didn't find any metal flakes or pieces in the oil or magnets, just metallic powder stuck to the magnets.

The pan and magnets were cleaned and refitted. Mechanic man insisted we removed the old sealant and apply RTV. It was left to cure for 30 minutes post refitting. Hoping it doesn't leak, keeping fingers crossed.

Some pictures of the procedure:

I found absolutely no difference of smoothness in shift quality after the ATF change; probably because the trans was already in good shape.

Another achievement by Hyundai and Advaith, BLR! My BIL received a 25K bill for his Xcent service! :Frustrati

Attaching his invoice from Advaith Motors, Bangalore. Since his car was not used for about 9-10 months, stuff that he asked to do was:

Engine oil change, brake fluid change, brake caliper greasing, coolant check.

Prior to going to service, the battery was charged by Exide dealership from which it was purchased and found to be OK. The car was driving fine but we opined that a service was needed since it was stationery for some months.

One Tire was changed by Hyundai as the puncture was 'not repairable' as per Hyundai/ Advaith. I have marked suspicious items in the list. Most of these jobs were not asked for. Some items price are definitely inflated. Screenwash for Rs. 102/-, oil drain plug for Rs. 186/-. They are charging Rs. 2440/- plus 18% tax for service, still they have charged Rs. 1420/- plus 18% tax for brake cleaning- whatever that means. Rs 146 plus tax have been charged as labour for changing wiper blades- which were actually not asked for, including throttle body, injector cleaning, wheel alignment, wheel balancing, and etc etc long list.

Rs. 355 plus tax towards labour for changing AC filter. Battery was checked, charged and reported OK by Exide- the OEM, a week before- Still charged ~300 bucks towards- god knows what they did.

Thanks that I don't own a Hyundai!

Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-0001.jpg
Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!-0002.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 5143173)
Another achievement by Hyundai and Advaith, BLR! My BIL received a 25K bill for his Xcent service! :Frustrati

Attaching his invoice from Advaith Motors, Bangalore. Since his car was not used for about 9-10 months, stuff that he asked to do was:
!

1. The oil drain plug is changed every two or three service intervals as it or the drain washer wears away from repeated unscrewing to drain the oil during changes.

2. Water wash, ac cleaning and interior cleaning are definitely not needed here and are better done at professional detailing studios

3. Tyre change and alignment should also be done at a good tire store not at a dealer.

Other than that - wiring harness repair etc look fine, was there a rat bite issue with the parked car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 5143181)
1. The oil drain plug is changed every two or three service intervals as it or the drain washer wears away from repeated unscrewing to drain the oil during changes.

2. Water wash, ac cleaning and interior cleaning are definitely not needed here and are better done at professional detailing studios

3. Tyre change and alignment should also be done at a good tire store not at a dealer.

Other than that - wiring harness repair etc look fine, was there a rat bite issue with the parked car?

Thanks Suresh for your inputs, with which I concur.

However, cost of drain plug is on higher side. Attaching oil drain plug cost with OE price- for XL6, this is Rs. 42/-. I vividly remember that for my Zen, it was around Rs. 30!

Tire change was not asked for- it was the spare tire which we planned to get it directly from a tire dealer.

Car was driving fine with no electrical issues. So, definitely no idea about 'wiring harness repair' that they did. Even if we pass this one, there are so many other stuff which were either not asked for or cost is on the higher side.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 5143188)
However, cost of drain plug is on higher side. Attaching oil drain plug cost with OE price- for XL6, this is Rs. 42/-. I vividly remember that for my Zen, it was around Rs. 30!

Cost will vary. For my scorpio it was a simple copper washer costing barely 10 rupees. For my endeavour it is a much more massive and heavy drain plug bolt which costs rather more than what Hyundai billed you. You are being billed as per the part’s sale price in Hyundai’s system so your focus is on removing additional or non essential work.

Let the wiring harness issue go - there may have been some bites that you didn’t notice. If you just refused the car detailing, ac cleaning and tyre change / alignment / balancing your bill would have been reasonable.

Quote:

Thanks that I don't own a Hyundai!

This is a clear case of SA going overboard and adding all & sundry value added services. If they add 1 or 2, there is higher chance of it going unnoticed. But this can't go unnoticed even by layman customers, they will surely face the music.

I don't agree with the last line though. This can happen with any service center, not just Hyundai. Happened to my dad with Maruti as well. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-refunded.html

Has yout BIL escalated this to Dealer's CRM or Hyundai yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkMar (Post 5143332)
This is a clear case of SA going overboard and adding all & sundry value added services. If they add 1 or 2, there is higher chance of it going unnoticed. But this can't go unnoticed even by layman customers, they will surely face the music.

Alignment and balancing is part of the Hyundai maintenance manual. And your relatives choice to buy the tyre from Hyundai. Those are the bulk of the bill, what can be protested are the cleaning services which were probably added without consent but are a smaller amount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 5143344)
And your relatives choice to buy the tyre from Hyundai.

Saket has already mentioned in one of the replies that the tyre change was not asked for.

The ASC has finally offered to finalise the bill at 21.5K
My BIL is not too well versed with car technicals and how the service centres push useless stuff for making money. He also admitted that they gave him an initial estimate of 16K, which he agreed to, but couldn’t decipher the details too much. I guess that’s the price one pays if you’re not well versed with the rules of this game. :)
I’m hoping to find a good fng for him where simple jobs like oil change, coolant flush, and other routine maintenance work could be carried out in future.

Wheel alignment and Balancing, car washing, AC clean, interior, etc these things are never done up to the mark at HASS and is better to get it done from outside in your presence. This is a clear case of SA adding unnecessary stuff to fleece the customer and maximize his commissions. Further, if the estimated amount was 16k and it inflated to 25k there is no way he should have accepted the car in the first place and instead asked for an explanation if the bill was overshooting the estimate then why wasn't his permission taken before carrying out that job (even 21.5k settlement bill seems too much for a car that has barely run 25k kms).

Now coming to what I generally do when I get my '11 make Hyundai i10 serviced-
First I scan through the list of jobs the SA has added and get removed the unnecessary stuff right there (like interior clean, cutter polish, engine bay protection spray, etc.).
Then I add a clear-cut instruction to the SA if anything more outside of this is required then call me first before doing it otherwise I won't accept that in the final bill.

This might be overwhelming to do in the first place but has been my routine since I had the first-hand experience of Hyundai overinflating the bill with unnecessary items. In the end, this is a common practice by SA to increase their commission or meet their target so it's better to be vigilant to avoid getting fleeced.

Quote:

Another achievement by Hyundai and Advaith, BLR! My BIL received a 25K bill for his Xcent service!

While I agree that some of these items may not be needed, the higher price you mentioned may be not true as it should be automatically/directly from Hyundai billing system and the price cannot be altered generally ( may be possible to override with a super user password though ) by a billing person. Also it seems like the work was done by the service center under the impression that you need a complete/thorough cleaning/checking/washing as it is not used for long