Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 18:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: TIP: How to get your warranty honoured.

Great tip very informative indeed. Some of the dealers play nasty little games with their customers, this would be a good way to get back at them.
Hope i wont have to use it though.
Old 8th March 2011, 23:13   #17
BHPian

Okay, I tried to get across the message that the companies are adopting policies where the overriding goal seems to be maximise gains. This is short sighted, because the Indian buying public is smart and shrewd, and is reacting by adopting negative buying policies, in the face of the sharp practices seen.

Now if we make our feelings known, the policies may change and we might get a win-win situation. First off, it's a criminal waste to allow vehicles to run in bad condition and tune. Never mind which group is out of pocket, the bottomline is that a resource is being wasted and a product in which so much technology has been invested should be run in top shape. It disrespects the designers to do otherwise, it also disrespects the scientists who makes studies available to us, to help keep the environment safe for us, and our children. Lead free petrol was introduced primarily because lead negatively impacts children the most.

Thanks to all the replies that showed understanding of the issue, both technical and ethical.

This is how the actual conversation went.
Tech: Any problems?
Me: Brake is binding.

After service, on returning to the ASC:
Tech: Any problems?
Me: Brake is still binding.
Tech: Sir, we checked and found nothing wrong.
Me: It is intermittent.
Tech: Maybe it will loosen up.
Me: No, please open it up.
Tech: We can't do work unless we have a prominent problem, something broken, something not operating...
Me: Please open it up, I'll pay for the job.
Tech: We have to open all the brake cylinders and change the seals, to eliminate that possibility.
Me: Also service the mastercylinder, there is less play.
Tech: That is the normal play, and the unit is non serviceable.

After the repair, after a test drive.
Tech: Sir, we have done the maximum. As of today, the brake system is in perfect shape. (Actual words).
Me: There is still drag.
Tech: Please try and use the vehicle, and call us if anything is drastically wrong.

Before next service.
Lady: Sir please bring your vehicle.
Me: No.
Lady: Why, Sir? (Very sad tone).
Me:My problem was not solved last time, and I'm trying elsewhere.
Lady: So sorry, sir...

Repeat the above 3 times.
Tech4: Any problem.
Me: Brake drags intermittently. I want you to change the master cylinder.
Tech4: How old is the vehicle?
Me: Over 2 years, I know the warranty is over, do it on out off warranty basis.
Tech: Right away sir!

Heck, the attitudinal change is so obvious, the message that hits you that is that the ASC just wants to avoid tackling the work if it is under warranty...

I'd like a few comments on how the service support is appearing to you, who are also vehicle users, so that if the companies read this thread, they will know that they aren't fooling anybody, and that it has a direct impact on their business.

I'll go first:

I took my Beat for its first service. The lady told me I could wait and take the car after 45 minutes. This means that the delivery of the car at 6 pm is a tactic to avoid close inspection of the work. The Beat people know that under the TMP package, I can bring the vehicle back any number of times till I am satisfied, so they do the job correctly the first time.

I appeal to the companies to take the long term view. I also appeal to their professional pride. I come from a service career, and I took part in a uptime assurance contract for construction equipment (500 USD/hour TCO!) in the Middle East, and although the penalty clause was what drove the team to perform, pride in our work made us feel fulfilled, and eager and ready to turn up everyday on the shopfloors and show our skills. I have many instances to give as examples.

End of rant, gets off the soapbox.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good tactic to get your warranty claim, but like others have mentioned earlier, a check on their computer would have indicated your service history and warranty status, for example, last week, when I took my Safari for service, my usual SA had resigned from his job, so I asked for another senior SA who used to handle my car during my early ownership period, he first checked my service history on the computer just like doctors do in hospitals before asking me about complaints if any, this I felt was a pretty efficient way of knowing what jobs were done or to be done when the vehicle comes in for service.
As far as warranty claims are concerned, I have never had issues about service centers honouring the claims, only Hyundai would show reluctance and try to wriggle their way out of it, not Maruti, not Daewoo, GM or Tata currently.
Maybe it had something to do with that particular service centre as well, did you try and get your warranty claim honoured from a different A.S.S before you played that card of getting an estimate and then telling them you had extended warranty?
All said and done, I hope the master cylinder was the culprit and now you have no issues with braking.
Regards,
Hari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks