Senior - BHPian

Re: Average annual maintenance cost

I own a six year old Maruti swift petrol which is 60K and still revving to go

Parts replaced till now :

Throttle cable : 250rs
Car battery : 2800rs
New set of wheels :20000rs
Rear wheel bearing : I dont remember the exact cost but around 2000-3000rs
I do not want to count parts like OVRM, wheel caps as parts that needed replacement. (Its due to idiotic bangalore drivers who keep nudging my OVRMs) and bad roads leading to wheel cap(only one) falling off

Apart from that my average cost per year is around 2000 to 3000 rs.
So much for those who say swift is costly to own.
Old 31st July 2014, 12:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post
Anyone with similar maintenance figures for - Audi (30-40L range - A4/X3), BMW 3, Merc C? Specially after 2-3 yrs/30K KMs?
Any information on this and comparable cars like the Sonata and the Accord?
That will be the clincher since the big boys are bringing in their brands at lower acquisition costs to sell more numbers.
Old 31st July 2014, 13:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Model : Wagon R Lxi(CNG)
Purchased : Mar 2012
Mileage(as on today): 58739

Service Chronicles(approximations as I dont have the bills right now):

1) 1st Service-0
2) 2nd Service-2240(all lubes)
3) 3rd Service- 3850(Lubes/Filter+ Labour)
4) 4th Service- 4250(Lubes + CNG Filter Changed)
5) 5th Service-3850(Lubes/Filter+ Labour)
6) 6th Service-5200(AC Servicing, Lubes, Filter cleaning)

Total: Rs. 19,390/-

Maintenance charge incurred per km: 0.33 p per Km
Old 31st July 2014, 14:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Car : Baleno LXi Model : 2005
Annual maint. cost (till Apr2010 when last service was done) : Rs.4936 p.a.
Updated figures for the car after 3 years :

Annual maintenance cost (till Jul2013 when the 70000km service was done) : Rs.5425 p.a.

A total of Rs.44755 went into maintenance of the car in the last 9+ years, which includes scheduled/unscheduled services, all repairs, two battery replacements etc.

It is now due for the next service (80K service, though I have done only around 7K kms since the last service).

Break-up of maintenance cost available here

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 31st July 2014 at 14:38.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
So much for those who say swift is costly to own.
When people tell that Swift is costly to maintain, they are generally referring to new Swift and especially its diesel model. Maruti has mandated synthetic oil for new Swift, that alone costs about Rs. 4000 per fill. Now add the cost of fuel filter (Rs. 3500) and oil filter (Rs. 400) and you are looking at Rs. 8000 bill for very basic service. Now add a few general items and you have a service bill which is very near the Germans.

Our Toyota Corolla Altis D-4D went for its 20,000 Km service. Total bill was Rs. 1900 /-.
sarthakgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 15:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

^^^That's really low for a sedan costing 15L or so. From what I read here, Toyotas seem to have low maintenance costs, even for their hi-end cars (Corolla, Innova, Fortuner).

BTW, what is the break-up for the Rs1900?
Old 31st July 2014, 20:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
When people tell that Swift is costly to maintain, they are generally referring to new Swift and especially its diesel model. Maruti has mandated synthetic oil for new Swift, that alone costs about Rs. 4000 per fill. Now add the cost of fuel filter (Rs. 3500) and oil filter (Rs. 400) and you are looking at Rs. 8000 bill for very basic service. Now add a few general items and you have a service bill which is very near the Germans.

Our Toyota Corolla Altis D-4D went for its 20,000 Km service. Total bill was Rs. 1900 /-.
I now own an Ertiga Diesel. Yes Maruti "recommends" using Synthetic oil but that doesnt mean mandated !! My service adviser always gave me a choice of Mineral, Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic oil.

For 10K service of Ertiga, my bill was 3400. That was Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil + Oil filter.

I fully agree with you that Maruti 20K service has unnecessary things like changing all fluids, filters etc as compared to say Toyota. That is one aspect I would have loved to change in a Maruti.

Its definitely more than what Loyal Toyota fans use on their Innova. But hey, Ertiga costs like 5 Lakhs cheaper than your Innova and Easily gives 30-40% more fuel economy. I easily save enough to pamper my car once in 10K kms.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 31st July 2014 at 20:26.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 08:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^That's really low for a sedan costing 15L or so. From what I read here, Toyotas seem to have low maintenance costs, even for their hi-end cars (Corolla, Innova, Fortuner).

BTW, what is the break-up for the Rs1900?
Yes, Toyotas are low maintenance and really long lasting even for there hi-end cars. Dad's Innova (a 2005 model provided by his office) has done nearly 4 Lakh kms.

I donot remember fully since the service was done in January this year, but it was like Rs. 1100 for oil, Rs. 450 for oil filter, about rs. 40 for oil filter gasket. Next service shall see the change of fuel filter also, that costs about Rs. 1600 /-. (Fuel filter is changed only in Corolla and not in Etios twins - even though both share same engine. For Etios twins the fuel filter is good for 2 Lakh kms.). Also most fluids are packed for life and require replacements once every 1 Lakh kms etc.

Honda also has long lasting parts but parts are expensive w.r.t. Toyota. Our City costs more to service than the Corolla.

Quote:
I now own an Ertiga Diesel. Yes Maruti "recommends" using Synthetic oil but that doesnt mean mandated !! My service adviser always gave me a choice of Mineral, Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic oil.

For 10K service of Ertiga, my bill was 3400. That was Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil + Oil filter.

I fully agree with you that Maruti 20K service has unnecessary things like changing all fluids, filters etc as compared to say Toyota. That is one aspect I would have loved to change in a Maruti.

Its definitely more than what Loyal Toyota fans use on their Innova. But hey, Ertiga costs like 5 Lakhs cheaper than your Innova and Easily gives 30-40% more fuel economy. I easily save enough to pamper my car once in 10K kms.
I was not aware that Maruti offers choice per se. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 1st August 2014, 08:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
I was not aware that Maruti offers choice per se. Thanks for clarifying.
If they dont, I counter argue with them saying the performance of 1L km run Swift vdi running on mineral oil and the likes of fiat and tata running same engine without Synthetic oil, they will fall back in line.

Few more things
1. The new Maruti cars now come with Synthetic oil from day one. Also they do the first oil change only at 3rd service as opposed to earlier changing at 1K and sometimes at 6 months as well.

2. Compared to say Honda and Hyundai who enforce service every 6 months, Maruti doesnt really bother for 12 months or 10K kms

Apart from that Maruti has following advantages due to which people stick to Maruti
1. Service network that no one can beat for another 5 years at least
2. People like Toyota are only focusing on cab segment, Honda,Ford etc are still busy penetrating urban pockets only

When these two things change, equation will change and we might see Maruti falling back to even lower service costs.
Old 1st August 2014, 10:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see spread sheets of maintenance costs maintained, and I wish I had done the same. Being a heavy user this would have provided good academic calculations.
Still I am mentioning a general cost over entire usage period.

1. VW Polo 2012 mileage 29000. First service Rs 7700 second due next week. User myself.

2. Wagon R 2003 mileage 108000. Alternate service (5000/km) used to cost between Rs 800 to Rs 3000 initially which increased gradually to between Rs Rs 1200 to Rs 5500 now. Tyres changed twice, front brake pads changed twice, and rear brake liners changed once, suspension overhauled once. User my Dad.

3. Indica 2005 mileage when sold 325000 km. Serviced every 10000 km, bills were initially below Rs 5000 for every service. Bill of Rs 16000 for 80K service when struts were replaced, and tyres changed (Another approx Rs 9000). Bills continued to remain under Rs 5000 till first 1.5 Lakh km when timing belt was changed. At 1.6 lakh again suspension was rebuilt and all 4 tyres changed. The 1.7 Lakh service was also reasonable, but at 1.8 lakh the fuel pump had to be overhauled, By now service bills were close to Rs 10000 / service till about 2.4 lakh km service when a massive Rs 40000 was spent for lot of work including suspension Tyres, Ac compressor, condenser coil whose fins had worn away due to ram air impact.
After this the bills stayed just under Rs 10000 till 2.8 Lakh km when gear box had to be partially rebuilt as 5th gear was skipping. ie when foot was taken of accelerator the gear would jump to neutral from 5th. The 5th gear wheel was totally worn. At that time we removed the cylinder head and replaced the gasket got the valves re-ground too.
All done the car had many small nicks and scratches all over but no major dents, when my driver called me that some one (in Navapur Nandurbar Dist) is interested in buying the car second hand for Rs 90000. This was also the time when we were thinking of consolidating our business from operating in a large area from North Karnataka to Indore and Gujarat to Nagpur to just Pune and around. So we did a bye bye to the car that served us the most. Infact I told my driver to collect the token advance and transfer papers with transfuree signatures and sent them to the RTO for an NOC even before all the money was collected. Users. All office staff, guests, contract workers on sites,etc, etc.

4. Innova 2008. Sold at 1.6 Lakh km in 2012. Serviced every 10000 km at DSK Toyota Pune. Most bills were between Rs 5000 and Rs 8000. The only car where I found till date that wheel alignment was only checked found accurate and no changes done till the car reached 70000 km. Front brake pads changed at 60K and 1.1 lakh km. Tyres changed at 80,000 km, rear brake lining changed at 1 Lakh km with about 25% tread wear due to heavy travelling needed in rains.
This car faced two accidents,
1 When a tractor took a U turn in front of us when we were at highway speed on NH-4 just ahead of Satara. Repair cost 1,3 Lakh of which 1.14 was payed by the Insurance co.
2 When a Volvo trailer braked suddenly in Vashi, an we crashed into it and were again crashed into by a Truck behind us. The Volvo had knocked down a man who had tried to cross running across traffic, he was conscious and below the bumper but 2-3 feet ahead of the front wheels when the truck stopped. A constable nearby who was at the scene sent him to a hospital nearby in a black and yellow cab. No one got his name or any thing, as his relatives shifted him to another hospital without informing.

User mostly me. My dad used to exchange his Wagon R with me for his outstation runs.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 10:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
2. Compared to say Honda and Hyundai who enforce service every 6 months, Maruti doesnt really bother for 12 months or 10K kms
Very true but so does VW (1 year and 15000 kms). Also Honda has a 6 month periodic inspection (and not a full blown service). Oil is changed annually (for petrols - not sure about diesels).

Quote:
Apart from that Maruti has following advantages due to which people stick to Maruti
1. Service network that no one can beat for another 5 years at least
2. People like Toyota are only focusing on cab segment, Honda,Ford etc are still busy penetrating urban pockets only

When these two things change, equation will change and we might see Maruti falling back to even lower service costs.
I am not saying that people should not stick to Maruti and buy Toyota. The points that you have raised regarding service center availability are very valid.

You are saying that no one can beat Maruti network for another 5 years. I say that no one can beat the Maruti Network of more than 1100 service centers for next 15 years (may be even more).

In fact one my cousin went for Maruti in spite of knowing the service cost advantage of Toyota due to the fact that the nearest Toyota service center is 250 km away from his home whereas Maruti workshop is very nearby.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 07:20   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Average annual maintenance cost

Model: Toyota corolla Altis diesel G
Odo reading: 42907 Kms
Year of birth: 27th September, 2011

Service costs till date:

1. 1000 km service: Free
2. 10000 km service: Rs 1600
3. 20000 km service: Rs 3400
4. 30000 km service: Rs 4800
5. 40000 km service: Rs 7040

Total costs for 40000 Kms: Rs 16840

No other maintenance costs till now. Car is still going strong on its original brake pads and discs, a known weak part of the Altis in general.

Last edited by drmohitg : 10th August 2014 at 07:25.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 00:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Between brands, can we also get the service intervals in months, if not the kms? My Nissan Micra D has to go in for service every 6 months whatever be the kms driven! Oil, fuel and air filter is changed every time. I guess it is the same for the Sunny. And 1 year for the Toyota twins.

How about the other Japanese, Honda and Maruti? And Hyundai?

Cross posting about the Micra Diesel scheduled periodic costs:

Average annual maintenance cost-img_5794.jpg
Almost close to the Vento territory when calculated yearly and yet I've to take my Nissan twice to the service center a year! (I've been really spoilt by the ease of visiting the VW service just once a year)

EDIT:
My actual service costs for the Micra D till date:
10k kms / 6 month - (done at 6.6k kms) = 3100/-
20k kms / 1 year - (done at 10.2k kms) = 4000/-
30k kms / 1.5 year - (done at 14.4k kms) = 5800/-

Last edited by thoma : 14th August 2014 at 00:30.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 00:46   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
My Nissan Micra D has to go in for service every 6 months whatever be the kms driven! Oil, fuel and air filter is changed every time. I guess it is the same for the Sunny. And 1 year for the Toyota twins.

EDIT:
My actual service costs for the Micra D till date[i]:
Many thanks thoma for posting the cost of micra. I am appalled that nissan asks for 6 months service interval for their micra/sunny models. I was under the impression that the 6 month service was just check ups. Good thing I have switched out of their service network.

Are you sure that the manual prescribes a oil and filter change every 6 months? Although it's good for the car, it's certainly a headache for the owners. Can you kindly post the picture of the page of the manual here? I am very interested in this one.

Honda, Maruti and Hyundai have yearly intervals for their changes OR every 10k kms.

Once again, many thanks. I hope the service at the A.S.S. has improved, and by that I mean, they have employed more competent mechanics. It's still pathetic in bombay. I have to go to the dealership twice. First to pay a advance for the parts (idiots don't keep a simple thing like a bulb or air filter) and the second time for fighting to get the parts fitted on my own, since they want the car for themselves for the entire day for a simple air filter fitting

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 14th August 2014, 00:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma
Between brands, can we also get the service intervals in months, if not the kms? My Nissan Micra D has to go in for service every 6 months whatever be the kms driven! Oil, fuel and air filter is changed every time. I guess it is the same for the Sunny.
Don't know about Sunny, but I guess for Honda cars, it is a 6 month interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma
All Maruti cars (except maybe the now discontinued M800) have a service interval of 1 year (after the 3 free services are done in the first year). I love this - just go there once a year.
Who wants to visit a garage every few months ? Ofcourse the dealers still con as many gullible folk as possible into bringing in the cars every 6 months and make a neat packet.
But yeah, why blame them for someone not taking the time/effort to read the owner's manual ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th August 2014 at 00:50.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks