Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Vehicles that pollute the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Are you talking about the cash for clunkers program. Nano was supposed to play a similar role in India. Didn't happen so far.
No this was long before that. In LA there was a smog crisis due to the terrain and the # of cars. This was designed to address that.

Cash for Clunkers' main objective was to stimulate the economy and simultaneously get rid of gas guzzling but 'newer' SUVs. To be honest it hasn't really worked, Americans are back to buying pickup trucks.

In India, the 4m/1.2P-1.5D rule serves a similar purpose. Govt has no involvement with the Nano and actually refused Ratan Tata's request for special tax break .

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd April 2011 at 22:06.
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Not quite sure which direction this thread is taking. Are we:
  • highlighting old cars on Indian roads that pollute due to poor maintenance? (It's worth a pictorial thread, but as was said here)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
    Whats the point in posting this on team bhp? I would advise you to post this on police facebook pages to catch the culprit.
  • trying to decide what should be done to old cars that pollute?
    Quote:
    Are you talking about the cash for clunkers program.
  • discussing any and all forms of pollution - air, noise, light, whatever - that can be generated by cars?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RECOMPOSE View Post
    Noise pollution :
    Air pollution :
    Light pollution :
@Moderators: Could we have a clear direction for this thread please, through a change is thread title? For that matter, why not merge it with this old thread?
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not quite sure which direction this thread is taking. Are we:
  • highlighting old cars on Indian roads that pollute due to poor maintenance? (It's worth a pictorial thread, but as was said here)
  • trying to decide what should be done to old cars that pollute?
  • discussing any and all forms of pollution - air, noise, light, whatever - that can be generated by cars?
@Moderators: Could we have a clear direction for this thread please, through a change is thread title? For that matter, why not merge it with this old thread?
The thread referred is on all sorts of pollution. Pollution is generated by Industries and people alike. Throwing old lube oil of any machinery into earth is a very dangerous mode of polluting. Old oil is to be disposed off to agencies authorized by State Pollution control Boards only.

Cars or automobiles can pollute for which vehicle age is not at all a compulsory factor. Oil leaking and oil burning engines, even if is comparatively new can pollute as well.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd April 2011 at 22:59.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Cars or automobiles can pollute for which vehicle age is not at all a compulsory factor. Oil leaking and oil burning engines, even if is comparatively new can pollute as well.
I agree - so do you want this to be the "Automotive Pollution Issues - Let's Discuss Them Here" thread? The thread title is too vague IMO.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I agree - so do you want this to be the "Automotive Pollution Issues - Let's Discuss Them Here" thread? The thread title is too vague IMO.
Me too for something of that sort. Nods kindly take note.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:49   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
In B'lore at least, its the autos that ruin the air quality.
Its because of auto driver unions and the connection with politics. They have got a relaxation in the rule so that autos are exempt from any norms whatsoever.
But isn't LPG supposed to be clean fuel? I m really surprised that the LPG autos emit so much smoke. Moreover, to make their autos sound "macho" the flute of the silencer is removed in most resulting in all that unbearable noise from them.

Add to that the diesel BMTC buses. In fact, it is very easy for BMTC to switch their complete fleet to CNG since they own all of it. In fact, if they mind, going by the amount of profit they make(the most profitable RTC in the country), they can even set up their CNG pumps across Karnataka.

But they won't.

Bangalore has gone to the dogs, literally.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vehicles that pollute the worst.

Title changed to vehicles instead of cars. Also lets say pollute because abusing environment also happens when certain irresponsible 4x4 vehicles tear up flora and fauna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
But isn't LPG supposed to be clean fuel? I m really surprised that the LPG autos emit so much smoke. Moreover, to make their autos sound "macho" the flute of the silencer is removed in most resulting in all that unbearable noise from them.
You need a good engine design also to ensure complete combustion.

Fuel itself it clean but the engines are prehistoric and the maintenance is pathetic.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:14   #23
BHPian

Govt. Buses in some major cities cause major pollution but they are never charged/accused for these valid cases, they roam around freely.

Diesel mixed with Kerosene sells widely in major cities in front of police (which are mostly used by autos), nobody cares to stop these

Many petrol bunks are using adulterated fuels (diesel/petrol), they are never penalised

All these helps increase pollution either directly or indirectly. Vehicles are sometimes directly responsible for pollution but in other cases these above factors also adds to pollution.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 4th April 2011 at 00:15.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:27   #24
BHPian

The order IMO should read something like this..
- Cargo laden trucks that violate city rules and ply inside during peak hours (if you are in bangalore, you can catch them on b/g road or hosur road frequently)
- Buses which are ill maintained.. The amount of smoke the emit can cause all the two wheelers behind the bus to choke to death.. There was once a bus driver in a traffic signal who had his foot on the accelerator and on the clutch emitting so much smoke that the entire area started to cough and choke..
- autos (non-lpg ones).. One of my ex-colleagues used to get so irritated by this that whenever he saw one, he started ranting.. All autos that smoked should be nuked..
Old 4th April 2011, 00:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

any vehicle which is still running beyond its expired life on forged papers, using adultrated mix of diesel/kerosene/oil and is poorly maintained by using fake parts and fake PUC certificate and driven by an under age untrained person.
Old 4th April 2011, 01:36   #26
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another set of cars that abuse the environment are the ones..
Since the title of the thread has changed, my original post has become redundant! A well maintained car without the catalytic converter should not "pollute the worst"
Old 4th April 2011, 11:30   #27
BHPian

Man some of those badly maintained construction trucks, buses and even ricks have been blackening my car outside each time i drive past them. Worst even when we riding on a bike or in the auto-rickshaw itself.
Old 4th April 2011, 22:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

The PUC certificate issue need to be taken out of the RTO domain and is to be entrusted with the respective state pollution control boards.
It would be also thought of completely doing away with the PUC certificate regime and instead surprise checks is to be resorted to and the polluting vehicles to be penalized heavily.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th April 2011 at 22:01.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

The top polluters includes badly maintained Indicas/ 1st Gen Diesel Indigos.

Amby and the MM 540s, Apes and the old Piaggios.

What is ironical is a farce PUC issued to these vehicles.

Infact, I had gone for my car PUC yesterday. The guy did not even check the readings but penned down certian values which was obviously by heart.

Since I put my foot down, the reading was finally taken the legitamate way!!
Old 5th April 2011, 10:32   #30
BHPian

The certificate does not make sense if there is visible dark smoke coming out of the tailpipe. If the authorities are really interested in controlling pollution, they should get all vehicles belching smoke to prove their innocence then and there (on the line of traffic violations, over speeding and the like). The first in line and the Trucks and buses, then comes the three wheelers and then the cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks