Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Indian muscle......rock a rolla......or dubba bumba?????
Indian muscle cars with proper backing will be a hit 120 76.92%
No Indian muscle cars dont have a space in India anymore. 36 23.08%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2006, 12:20   #61
BANNED

I agree, the Isuzu 1.8 is good, but looks puny in that huge engine bay. Look for something bigger.
Old 17th August 2006, 00:24   #62
vidvai

am really serious abt gettin a conty, but am scared of the running costs...does it require extra care? hows the mileage? running costs? parts? what would u guys suggest? petrol/diesel...in terms of runnin costs etc and performance wise...and also...what is better a stock engine w turbo or new heavy engine??

pls tel

Old 17th August 2006, 00:52   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidvai
am really serious abt gettin a conty, but am scared of the running costs...does it require extra care? hows the mileage? running costs? parts? what would u guys suggest? petrol/diesel...in terms of runnin costs etc and performance wise...and also...what is better a stock engine w turbo or new heavy engine??

pls tel
I own and drive a Conti. The car requires extra care. It's not like a Honda City or Maruti Baleno. Fit and finish is pathetic. The electricals need regular attention. Fuel consumption is anywhere between 7 and 10 km/l, depending upon driving conditions and use of the AC. Spare parts are available, but, not very easy to source any more. The stock 1.8L 75bhp Isuzu petrol engine is the one you should go for. It is smooth and torquey.
Don't think of plonking a big V8 in the engine bay unless you do extensive work on the chassis, suspension and brakes.
Old 17th August 2006, 09:39   #64
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Contessa running costs (meaning cost of fuel) would of course be higher than for a smaller lighter more aerodynamic car. It is a large heavy car. It is 15-feet long, over 5½ feet wide, 1.1 ton car with an 1817 cc 75 bhp Isuzu motor.

And care is something that we all would lavish on our cars, otherwise we wouldn't be Team-BHPians right?

Back in 1999, I used to have a gold 1995 Contessa with a 1970s American-style black stitched vinyl cover pasted on the roof. That girl returned 7-8 km/litre on petrol. The acceleration was good and ride was decent.

Someone who really wants a low maintenance fuel efficient daily-driver, should just go for a Maruti, any Maruti model. They're all reliable and fuel-efficient and well-supported all over the nation.

But a Conty!? A Conty's a Conty's a Conty!!!
A royal rear-wheel drive good-old-days' executive sedan.

With its wide squat double-headlamped looks, it still commands respect and holds its place with the other large executive cars.

And the super-king aftermarket airconditioner with vents for the rear seat does a great job, cooling it frigid!
I've heard of people stiffening the suspension with Tata Sumo springs.

Ram
Old 17th August 2006, 13:41   #65
BHPian

drop the vehicle height, re do the wheel wells to wider wheel wells black out the whole car have dual headlamps and a nice throaty v8 witha quad exhaust setup
all i can say is sweet
Old 17th August 2006, 14:17   #66
BANNED

You can't drop the height...my car used to scrape speedbreakers pretty easily and once the muffler came off.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:01   #67
BHPian

Had been in Gwalior a couple of months back. When came out of station what I saw was sort of dream and was quite unbelievable. I saw an pista-green Ambassador kinda car, shining like new, with alloys and all. Looking great and far better than Amby itself, when got to see its front grill, came to know it was some Mark-IV! Later came to know that it had been HM Amby's forefather long back. Don't sure about the engine, but if it could be modified and had an engine of 100+ hp, it could rock!
Old 27th August 2006, 09:19   #68
BANNED

nice ..

i wana buy contessa for myself one day .. i had driven ( not driven exactly) that machine when i was 15 .. from less than 1 km ride . ..

i felt the energy the car was puttin up .. 1 hand on the steer wheel & one on gear & the front Bonnet poping up & u feel like a king of street ..

i donot intend 2 drive the prg. contessa engine but i will swap it (resaerch included ) jus as Ford Rocam tried for his HOnda City .. modieifed ..wat insane devil has pooped up th epic .. really catchy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
the Pontiac GTO 1966.

Old 30th August 2006, 15:44   #69
BHPian

I would love to own a Standard 2000 revamped with a powerful engine, say 140+ PS. I Still cherish the dreams of owning one, since my childhood!
Old 11th December 2006, 00:11   #70
BHPian

guys wht engines can fit into contis???? i think the mpfi is cracker....anyone drriven it? if we could fit a skoda turbo deisel....maybe the 2 ltr rs engine??????????????? hmmm just a thought

Last edited by team dragstar : 11th December 2006 at 00:24.
Old 11th December 2006, 00:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Does anyone know where in Mumbai i can get the Isuzu 1.8Lt engine with gearbox and for how much?
Eight thousand rupees.
Old 11th December 2006, 01:19   #72
Senior - BHPian

Im a bit confused with this thread....Bring back indian muscle cars? I dont think India had any muscle cars to begin with. However I do feel that we really need to do somthing with the Indian built classics. You hardly get to see any nowdays. Id rather see these cars being restored than modified though a hot rod wouldnt be a bad idea. A Morris Minor would be perfect for this or maybe even a Fiat or an Ambassador. All these cars arent too expensive to purchase and I know that 3.5l Rover v8 engine swaps have been done with Morris Minors abroad. Thats the same engine found on older Land Rover defenders so I guess that wont be too tough to find. The same engines were used in Standard 2000s abroad and produce upto 190bhp. So I guess if someone wants to do a Standard 2000 they can use this engine.
Cheers
Adhish

PS Check this beetle in pakistan out
PakWheels.com : Car show off Volkswagen - Any Model (1970) Nick Name (devi|z passiOn)

Last edited by khanak : 11th December 2006 at 01:27.
Old 11th December 2006, 10:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

@khanak its better to mod those cars which cannot be restored. Not everybody has the time and money to restore the cars but modding is a completely different case.
Old 12th December 2006, 02:02   #74
BHPian

Funny. India never had any muscle cars. Only .0001% of car buying people care about performance. Everybody else looks for FE.
Old 12th December 2006, 09:05   #75
BHPian

Nice idea man.will those rugged cars come back

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks