Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 21:39   #1
BHPian

*Rumour* : Toyota Fortuner facelift with Automatic later this year

Got this piece of information from a very reliable source in Toyota.
Version 2 of the much loved Toyota Fortuner is going to be launched soon after the Liva launch.
While this will carry some minor cosmetic upgrades which are sure to freshen up the exteriors of the brute, the most important addition to the Fortuner is going to be an Automatic Transmission.

This unit is the same as the one available in Thailand, so what we can expect is an average performing 4 Speed Auto Tranny.
Apart from this there would be no changes mechanically except for some tweaks for the ride which would address concerns over its unsettled ride to some extent.

Here are the list of upgrades and additions you can expect in the Fortuner (Some features listed might not make it to the final production model):
  • LED Tail Lights
  • New Front Grille
  • Xenon Head Lamps
  • Sunroof
  • New Head Unit for the ICE with IPOD support
  • Ambient Lighting in the cabin
  • Minor Tweaks on the suspension for a better ride
  • 4 Speed Auto Transmission
  • Rain Sensing Wipers

The expected price of the fully loaded Automatic Transmission is going to be around 31 lakh Rupees, which for me personally is a big spoiler.
My source tells me that the new version although good is too over priced and says that they have at least priced the car 3 lakh Rupees above what it should ideally be. Part of the reason for this move is to counter huge demand. He says the current Fortuner is a better bet and a bargain when compared to the new one.

I am not sure about how many of these features are going to make it to the manual model but it would be safe to assume some upgrades with an increase in price substantially. Also my source had no information about the kind of trim levels that would be available in the Manual and Auto versions.

Now this has got me confused over which version to go for, as I had almost gone ahead with the current Fortuner. I guess I'd surely take a decision within a day or two.

Will ask my source to arrange for some pics.. will be highly lucky if I could get some. Wish me luck!

There is a Test Drive and Review thread too with some similar information, (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-44.html), but I thought this piece of information needed a new thread. Mods please do the needful if there any changes that need to be made.

Thank You.
Old 8th April 2011, 21:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner facelift with Automatic rumored to arrive later this year

31 lakh is absurd!! You are trying to compete with the X1!! It would be interesting to see how the market reacts to the pricing.
Old 8th April 2011, 21:48   #3
BHPian

I guess they are trying to pull off a VW Passat?!
Old 8th April 2011, 21:51   #4
BHPian

The reason Fortuner is so successful is it pricing and lack of real competition at its current price point. Cross 24L+ you are entering a shark infested territory that will chew off Fortuner's fortune.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:04   #5
dot
Senior - BHPian

Hope Toyota offers both AT and MT options on the 3.0L Fortuner and not take away the MT from the market.
Old 8th April 2011, 23:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
31 lakh is absurd!! You are trying to compete with the X1!! It would be interesting to see how the market reacts to the pricing.
To be aggressive and sarcastic, but its the "reality" we see ... "Oh NO, its Toyota, Indians would still buy religiously a thing for 33 or 34 L from Toyota. If its TATA, nothing more than 10L for any product"
Old 8th April 2011, 23:16   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentscreamers View Post
...Part of the reason for this move is to counter huge demand....
Is that really their strategy, or is it just poor wording?! I thought companies wanted to sell their vehicles. Sounds more like the RBI's way of controlling inflation than a commercial strategy.
Old 8th April 2011, 23:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Is that really their strategy, or is it just poor wording?! I thought companies wanted to sell their vehicles. Sounds more like the RBI's way of controlling inflation than a commercial strategy.
True Sir, i dont get that statement at all. Im actually quite angry at reading it ! Are we desperate in India to own a Fortuner? Agreed its a good car but its not the ultimate one! The whole demand supply mess has been created by Toyota themselves, if they could supply 1500 cars/month there wouldnt be a problem.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

If they price it at 31 lacs then it would have the same fate as Aria,Kizashi(overpriced).
Even at 28 lacs it will be competing with X1 and though Indians may buy cars which are from Toyota they still will go for a BMW
Old 9th April 2011, 00:30   #10
EP.
BHPian

31 lakhs!! oh please...
Where is toyota planning to go with this pricing? Good luck Toyota.

Last edited by EP. : 9th April 2011 at 00:34.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:40   #11
BANNED

It could be a smart move as well. It can compete with the likes of the Santa Fe, the BMW 3 series, Audi Q5 et al, and like someone said, Indians have very strong perception about Toyota being a "luxury" brand and hence this positioning might work.

There would also be a section of people who would not mind paying the premium to get ahead of the waiting lists.

Toyota is a very smart company and now the Fortuner Auto(though it could have been better) will be expected to cover the entire spectrum from INR 24l-INR32l.

If it sells.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

they should launch the AT with 2WD and not a 4WD, as hardly 1% of the fortuner owners go offroad!

at 31 L its a waste of effort by TKM!
Old 9th April 2011, 00:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
The reason Fortuner is so successful is it pricing and lack of real competition at its current price point. Cross 24L+ you are entering a shark infested territory that will chew off Fortuner's fortune.
This would be too much of overconfidence even by Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Hope Toyota offers both AT and MT options on the 3.0L Fortuner and not take away the MT from the market.
Manual Transmission and Auto Transmission are both going to be on sale side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
To be aggressive and sarcastic, but its the "reality" we see ... "Oh NO, its Toyota, Indians would still buy religiously a thing for 33 or 34 L from Toyota. If its TATA, nothing more than 10L for any product"
Exactly the reason why am more bent on picking up the current gen. Fortuner for myself. The pricing is excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
True Sir, i dont get that statement at all. Im actually quite angry at reading it ! Are we desperate in India to own a Fortuner? Agreed its a good car but its not the ultimate one! The whole demand supply mess has been created by Toyota themselves, if they could supply 1500 cars/month there wouldnt be a problem.
I wish it was just poor wording but as i had clearly pointed out in my post that 'my source' tells me that it is partly a reason to counter excessive demand. Think of the rising prices of a Merc or a BMW in the last 5 years and maybe it makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If they price it at 31 lacs then it would have the same fate as Aria,Kizashi(overpriced).
Even at 28 lacs it will be competing with X1 and though Indians may buy cars which are from Toyota they still will go for a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
31 lakhs!! oh please...
Where is toyota planning to go with this pricing? Good luck Toyota.
Well pointed Harry, i thought of the same.. Would I buy it even if it was on sale for 28 Lakhs after the introduction of the X1?
I still hope that the information i have received is wrong and they come out with acceptable pricing, for around 27 - 28 Lakhs the Fortuner would be a decent bargain with unbeatable reliability and space in the segment.
Come to think of it that pricing would help the Fortuner eat sales of the Superb, Passat and Accord as well! In any case the resale values of the current Fortuners are bound to be strong keeping the imminent price rise in mind.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:13   #14
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner is a very good car, but for 31 Lakhs, it is not worth it. Automatic is the way to go, but a premium of 1,5 - 2,0 Lakhs over the manual is justified.

@Silentscreamers - I have a very strong feeling that your source got the pricing wrong. Looking at the pricing of the MT Fortuner and Etios, I felt that Toyota has understood Indian market well. But if your source is true, Toyota have done a Honda of themselves.
Old 9th April 2011, 08:05   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner facelift with Automatic rumored to arrive later this year

4 speed AT doesn't sound attractive at all. And 31 lacs OTR is way more than what I'd pay for the Fort, as much as I love it. The current price point is what makes it so irresistible!

How much are the Ford Endeavour and Chevy Captiva ATs OTR?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks