Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 16:36   #1
BHPian

Joint ownership of a car

My question, I know, is stupid but then just wanted to know whether it is possible. Is it legally possible to have joint owners of vehicles ? In my case, my car is in my wife's name and I would like to add my name too as a co owner. Reason being, if I have a vehicle in my name, I can claim vehicle maintenance allowance from my company. Now, if I transfer the ownership to my name, technically, my car becomes a second hand car, which I would like to avoid.
Any suggestions/possible ways to achieve this ?
Old 13th April 2011, 16:55   #2
BHPian

Re: joint owners for a car

Whether it is possible to have joint owners - i am not sure about this in India. I was however a joint owner of a car in the USA. So, my guess is that it should be possible as a general rule.

However, if you add your name, would it still not have 2 entries in the RC Book - making you a 2nd owner? I guess your idea is that when you sell the car, the buyer can identify the same name across both ownerships and know that it was not really sold ... Makes sense - not a bad idea Sirji!
Old 13th April 2011, 17:01   #3
BHPian

It is possible to have joint owners of vehicles, atleast new vehicles. But, As far as you are concerned, you need to add your name to an existing vehicle which in my opinion should be possible but a massive hassle.

I am sure you can always claim against vehicles in name of your wife. Your company should uphold your claims when the vehicle is used by you and is in your wife's name.

Second option is get the vehicle as a 'gift' from your wife. You would still need to pay some money for transfer of registration. Not an option if your wife is also claiming maintenance on the same vehicle in her company.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that joint ownership of car is not possible in India. Or it is?
It is definitely there in some other countries. If we can have joint accounts in banks, then why can’t we have joint ownership for a car?
Old 13th April 2011, 19:39   #5
BHPian

Re: Joint ownership of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
My question, I know, is stupid but then just wanted to know whether it is possible.?
I think its a valid question. However as far as I know, there is no provision for joint ownership of a car in India, though other assets can have joint ownership. Go figure.

Couldnt find many references, just this thread: Change of my old car Insurance to New car - Page 2 | Finance/Loan & Insurance | Car Forums - CarWale
Old 13th April 2011, 20:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

I do not think it is possible to register a car in two names as joint owners. The only option is to form a partnership firm with your wife, then you can claim expenses in the company, but that does not serve your specific purpose.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Old 13th April 2011, 20:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if the car is jointly owned by you, it will still become your second car. You would still be facing the same situation if the car had been in your name completely.

Or will it be one-and-a-half cars ?

Have you checked with your company if they will allow such a joint owernship ?
Old 13th April 2011, 21:48   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys for the responses. It seems the only option is to have a name change in the RC (eventually making my second owner of the car). I did search couple of state RTO sites.No where could I find any mention of joint ownership of private vehicles.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can claim vehicle maintenance allowance from my company...... Any suggestions/possible ways to achieve this ?
Talk to your company HR. Will your company HR policy allow you to claim the above allowance on a leased car? If yes, then you have a very strong point to fight it out with your HR guy.

Just get a self declaration from your wife to the effect that the car is exclusively used only for your official commute and she is not in receipt of any similar allowance for that particular car from any other person.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:15   #10
BHPian

I have never seen a RC with two owners in them
Old 14th April 2011, 10:53   #11
BHPian

Sorry for going OT

Claiming maintenance by two persons (even husband and wife) on a single vehicle may land you in legal soup. It's same as Husband and Wife claiming HRA even though living in same house. It's not allowed in any govt job. Leeway space may be that you both are in different companies and your companies may not know that it's same vehicle but it's illegal
Old 14th April 2011, 11:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the responses. It seems the only option is to have a name change in the RC (eventually making my second owner of the car). I did search couple of state RTO sites.No where could I find any mention of joint ownership of private vehicles.
The second ownership should not be an issue since the RTAs have now stopped mentioning it (first owner, second owner etc) on the RC. I recently transferred my car in my wife's name for some tax purpose and apart from a visit to RTA and paying a nominal 300-400 rupees the transfer was easily done. Got the new RC which does not indicate that my wife is a second owner. This change happened in AP recently. Not sure about other states.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

My RC book states the previous owner and the current owner separately. Same goes for my earlier M800 too.

The procedure may be different in case of a smart card registration.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot own a car jointly. The only reason I can think of why is probably because a vehicle is a movable property. Maybe some legal experts can help understand why.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi the smart card mentions the owner serial number, very clearly, as in 1,2,3 & so on

In Gurgaon however there is no serial number, but yes it has details of the current & previous owner.

I wonder why we have different rules & formats in different states. IMHO It should be uniform all over the country.

And yes none of the RTO's in Delhi or Gurgaon have any provisions for joint owners.

@bluevolt
Joint accounts in banking are very different than joint ownership of a car. Financial transactions sometimes need that provision, in case of joint properties, incomes etc. Also it makes for easier transfer of funds in case of the demise of one party, even if there is no nomination. Does it make sense

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 15th April 2011 at 10:38.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:32   #15
BHPian

I'm a lawyer. (sorry havent gone through the whole thread) but heres the quick answer. NO

You cannot have joint ownership. there might be different ways to finagle your way through this by first having it in your name then transferring the car or whatever. but those are all illegal or quasi legal ways.

so legally NO you cannot be a joint owner.

thanks

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2011 at 19:52. Reason: Strictly no SMS please. Correcting language
Snowman79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks