Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:03   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Videos & Race report : The VW Polo R Cup, Round 5 @ Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by satans_enemy View Post
Simply love the edited video, Munjal!
Man, I gotta compliment your launches. Look at position 4:08 in the first video...guess that's your drag racing experience coming in handy? Munjal says that good starts are all the more important in an equal-car racing series.
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:11   #17

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

The engine and the gear ratios specially in the 1st and 2nd are not too good in terms of getting off the line quick. You either sit there or you spin a lot. I've learnt how to get it right maybe drag racing has helped me.. but in a nutshell.. its one crazy series to drive in, the competition is tight and the cars are great.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2011 at 09:44. Reason: No SMS language on this forum please
satans_enemy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 11:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
The racing bug had bitten me
Hey thats some great stuff. I love racing myself but prefer to do it in a simulation. Not just any simulation mind you, the most realistic racing simulation that is publicly available.

It is called iRacing. Check it out at iracing.com Iracing is owned by John Henry who also owns the Boston Red Sox Baseball team in the U.S and the Liverpool Football Club. So there are some BIG BUCKS that have been invested in this simulation with the sole purpose to make it as realistic as possible.

The average age of the simulation's 30,000+ members is 36 so this is definitely NOT a game for kids. It is taken very seriously by all its member that are mostly adults.

Why i'm telling you specifically is because there are hundreds of professional race car driver in the US and all over the world that use the simulation for training and to keep their skills sharp in the off seasons. They also have the Jetta TDI cup car there for you to try. should be very similar to your Polo Cup.

Each and every track is laser scanned, so it models the track surface accurate to millimeters. This means that every surface change, every bump, every crack, every brake marker, reference point, that is there in the real track is there exactly where is should be in the simulation.

I cannot say enough good things about it. There is just waaay too much to say about this sim. Please check it out. I guarantee you will love it.

They host simracing world championships every year too with the winner getting $10,500!

There is so much to learn about the sim so I will try to make it easy for you:

Keep in mind that iRacing releases massive updates every 3 months so some of the content in the videos might be dated. They are constantly making their sim better and better. It feels great to be a part of something evolving so rapidly!

Some videos to give you an idea of what it is like:

A review of iRacing to give you a general idea of what the game is like: The video has other stuff in it as well so skip ahead to around the 13 min mark to see the Jetta TDI being reviewed followed by a review of iRacing itself.

Link to the iRacing youtube page: you can find videos from the iRacing driving school, all the iRacing TV episodes, world championship recaps, etc:
iRacingTV's Channel - YouTube

Link to latest iRacing TV Episode:

Hope you like it. I am going to start a new thread in the motor racing forum to educate people about iRacing. I have it at home with a Logitech G27 steering wheel, pedal, and shifter set. I play it on my laptop which is hooked up to a nice big TV. Love it. Hope you enjoy it too.

-Vishnu

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 28th October 2011 at 11:32.
Endeavour333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 11:21   #19
BHPian

Main iRacing Multimedia page Link: Has all the press videos, interviews, recaps, and pretty much all the good stuff:
http://www.iracing.com/multimedia/videos/

Blog post of the best ranked iRacer that got selected to test in a Formula Mazda car even thoough he had never driver a real car before. He has just been driving the exact same car on iRacing:
http://www.iracing.com/news/greger-h...ect-adventure/

Downloadable video of his adventure at the Race Track and first ever day in a race car:

Index of /iracingtv//podcast

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 28th October 2011 at 11:43.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:16   #20
BHPian

One of my hotlaps at Road America with the Riley Daytona Prototype. Dont pay too much attention to the graphics in this video - I play it at Medium-Low Graphics because my system cant handle a higher setting (running it on my laptop).

One other great thing you will like is that iRacing has partnered with McLaren Electronics to bring out a very similar telemtry system as to what is used by the F1 teams! So we now have the McLaren Electronics telemetry app for iRacing to analyze data like you have posted above and much much more. This all to find the Perfect setup for your car. Setting up your car is also a huge part of this game. Being a Mechanical Engineer I am sure you will appreciate this part

Sorry if all this is off topic but I just thought that you would really enjoy this sim. Not only that but it will definitely help you on your way to making this your career.

Good Luck my friend.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 28th October 2011 at 12:18.
Old 28th October 2011, 13:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Can you please stop spamming the thread now?
Old 28th October 2011, 13:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt
Can you please stop spamming the thread now?
It's not spam, it is useful information for aspiring race car drivers. Just because it wasn't useful to you does not mean that it is spam.
Old 28th October 2011, 18:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yes, very nice. I own rFactor and LFS and have a subscription for iRacing. There are dedicated threads for car simulation software/games on the forum where such info can be posted. Posting irrelevant info in a thread pertaining to an individual's race weekend experience IS spam.
Old 28th October 2011, 19:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt
Yes, very nice. I own rFactor and LFS and have a subscription for iRacing. There are dedicated threads for car simulation software/games on the forum where such info can be posted. Posting irrelevant info in a thread pertaining to an individual's race weekend experience IS spam.
Pranav, I didn't see any threads like that and genuinely just wanted to introduce the guy to something that really would help him. He said that he wanted to make racing his career so I was just trying to help him out. Sorry if it is considered spam. Will create another thread for this. Good to know you have an iRacing subscription.
Old 29th October 2011, 07:07   #25
BHPian

hey endeavour333. Thanks for all the info about iRacing and rFactor. I am already a member on iRacing and i race the jetta tdi cup.

Yes, it is very close to our polo's and really helpful for practise.
Old 1st November 2011, 16:37   #26
BHPian

@Jalsa: Who's data is Red in the telemetry? I see some heel-toe downshifting!
Old 1st November 2011, 16:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
@Jalsa: Who's data is Red in the telemetry? I see some heel-toe downshifting!
Only one guy on the grid does that.
Mr. Oshan Kothadia
Old 1st November 2011, 16:44   #28
BHPian

Last year during the selections I was heel-toeing by my normal road-car revvmatching habit and was warned by Ronnie not to revv so much! :P

If done properly, it can prove beneficial even on these diesels (my personal opinion). How about left foot braking? I've recently been experimenting with my road car and I think that it can be used fruitfully for the long D in Chennai to get maximum grip!
Old 1st November 2011, 16:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Last year during the selections I was heel-toeing by my normal road-car revvmatching habit and was warned by Ronnie not to revv so much! :P

If done properly, it can prove beneficial even on these diesels (my personal opinion). How about left foot braking? I've recently been experimenting with my road car and I think that it can be used fruitfully for the long D in Chennai to get maximum grip!
I have been practicing both. But still not good enough to implement it on the race polo's
Old 1st November 2011, 17:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777

I have been practicing both. But still not good enough to implement it on the race polo's
Practice on iRacing! I left foot brake there too. Used to heel toe downshift on the mustang and the solstice back when I used to race them as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks