Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 13:19   #16
BHPian

re: Corporate Karting Challenge - Bangalore (Dates TBA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Awsome writeup Driverace. I am a silent visitor to the site yet now and had a plan to put up my first post with an Introduction to the forum, however, after reading your post, I couldn't help it.

Thanks mate - try my best to word it down, but trust me, what you actually feel - is way beyond!

To start with, hats off to your passion and dedication. I am also from Bangalore and looking forward to compete in the challenge.

Well, anything-with-wheels
'or' Good Body
'or' both -- does get the best of my attention and focus!

Good to know- you would be there too!
I have been trying to get people here - to get up- and start practicing with each other! But- Ahhh *sad face*

Do let me know your timings to Ezone and may be I can also join you. Do PM me your contact number, then we can plan for today itself :-).

Thanks
-- AD
Well, since you haven't made it past 25 posts- your PM might not be activated yet.
But- I have sent you an email - I think it will go to same email- with which you have registered on tbhp
( I couldn't see your id - but my contact details are in there ).

My schedule is like- I try to be at the track around 8'ish (PM).
I will be there for good one hour!

I love just being there, now!

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 19th March 2012 at 13:20.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Super thread driverace! Sorry i couldn't put in a word earlier.

I like the passion with which you are attacking this event, and i completely relate to everything you have written about in terms of the on-track experiences, thoughts and feelings (eg. yelling in your helmet). I liked the "multiplex in your head" visual too

I tried to look for points where i could add a few tips - but to be honest you seem to be taking a very thorough approach, and you yourself have done most of the things i was about to suggest (eg. follow a faster driver and see his line, sacrifice a bit in the earlier corner to line up well for the chicane, every kart is different, etc). The fact that your timings continue to improve are a testament to the fact that you're still learning more and more.

Other things to keep in mind :
- Keep the momentum up, as these karts aren't too powerful
- Listen to the engine's RPM, its a good indicator of your exit speed
- Now that you know your line well, try braking a little less, and optimize the max speed you can carry through a corner. Try to put in minimal steering input (ie don't over-turn the steering, it wont help you steer more - just slow you down)
- I see that you're not the aggressive type of karter however, if someone else tries to bully you in a race, don't be too nice. Hold your line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Now Playing - Set Fire to the Rain ~
Here's something for you : Adele vs. Daft Punk - Something About The Fire (Carlos Serrano Mix) by serranocarlos on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

All the best!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th March 2012 at 14:25.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 15:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I had indeed confirmed that it was 10K ( with the registration person - Mr. Raj Kumar )
It was 10K in the form as well!

Now- I checked after you said its 5K - it does say 5K.
But - need to check.

Are you registering/looking to register?

Ace.

EDIT:

That must be correct!
Damn- the first prize was a Vento- now the "then" second prize -KTM duke is the first prize!
:(

Well- I guess not many people turned up yet.
Would've loved to register but maybe next time.

By the way, the analysis you've done and the effort you are putting through is seriously wonderful ! I would love to see you win this challenge Driverace.

All the best to you! And when you are on the track, remember that you are the one in the 'glowing yellow' helmet !
a*ed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 08:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Other things to keep in mind :
- Keep the momentum up, as these karts aren't too powerful
- Listen to the engine's RPM, its a good indicator of your exit speed
- Now that you know your line well, try braking a little less, and optimize the max speed you can carry through a corner. Try to put in minimal steering input (ie don't over-turn the steering, it wont help you steer more - just slow you down)
- I see that you're not the aggressive type of karter however, if someone else tries to bully you in a race, don't be too nice. Hold your line.

Duly NOTED

Here's something for you : Adele vs. Daft Punk - Something About The Fire (Carlos Serrano Mix) by serranocarlos on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
That WAS AWESOME! *thumbs up*

All the best!

cya
R
Thanks Rehaan, For the support and valuable tips!
Will keep them in mind-all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Would've loved to register but maybe next time.

By the way, the analysis you've done and the effort you are putting through is seriously wonderful ! I would love to see you win this challenge Driverace.

All the best to you! And when you are on the track, remember that you are the one in the 'glowing yellow' helmet !
A*ed,
Thanks for your support!

I will most definitely be very focused and calm.
My first very event! - So my primary goal is to put down my best laps and have a healthy competition.

Senna's thought is fine! ( but me in golden-glow-helmet! you are kidding me right? )

______

Week 3 update:
I was through this week - with good amount spent studying about it.
Laps - I could endure myself to as much as 50 laps. ( and still had some energy left! )

My fitness level is really good now. Say, as much as I had targeted for- when I started out.

I had a final walk-on-the-circuit on Monday.
( that ^ I am able to do - only cause I am such a regular there! )
Saw closely some areas where maximum brake-marks were there, and tried to visualize how the karts might have cornered after those mark-spot-brakes, assuming different carry-in speeds.

Tried a few different things on the track on Monday and Tuesday.
My best time was between 25.30~25.60 with some disturbed lines and in totally different karts.
I was a bit concerned later- as I was feeling very well off my mark even with 21 laps with a different kart ( still knowing that I was not on my best line- but that wasnt giving me good confidence).

Then I again- Defragmented my thoughts.
Composed myself for a good Wednesday.

I went with my best line and one of the more comfortable karts there.

This time I did 21 laps and happy I was to see - all laps were a consistent time below 25.50 - and I touched my best (almost) with 24.99 < Twice!
There were many laps that I did with same timing and it was mostly around 25.20ish.

I feel with the kind of practice- I was able to put through, I am pretty ok-ish with the timings. I need to look at "overtaking" and racing in a "group".

I am trying to make it in the crowded timings now.
Trying to pull through the gaps or try to weave through stalled karts.

Sometimes I observe I just mess up- when I know a kart has stalled somewhere 100 mtrs after me!

I know- its a bit too late, but I have been working on overtaking/running in (track)traffic now.

Outcome of Week 3:
  1. I can endure about 50 laps now.
  2. I can put consistent laps of a good grade (IMO) ~ 25.20 kind
  3. I can drive sensibly around stalled karts/slower ones ( still need to correct my approach on that )

____

Oh- and More important update:

THE Event has been post-poned!
new date is yet to be announced.

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 24th March 2012 at 08:44.
driverace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 15:08   #20
BHPian

Hey driverace,
Its great the amount of effort you are putting into this. The process you have followed upto now is perfect and nothing much to comment there.

Now that you have sorted you basics and basically know how to drive around a circuit and control the kart, etc., the next stage is the most difficult one. As you might already know, the gains won't come easily and just track time won't give you much more time.

Now, you'll have to go beyond the basics and beyond the books and into the 'feel' mode. It is kind of difficult to do but it will get you results.
All you need to do is, forget about driving. Thats right, just forget about all the knowledge you've learnt, about all the previous experience you have, etc. Now you might say that I am crazy, but the aim is to let your sub-conscious mind do the driving. Stop thinking about your sessions and just get into the kart with a very very clear mind.

What is currently happening is that you are going into the kart with some idea about what you want to do in your mind. This keeps your mind pre-occupied and you cannot let it 'flow'. So, my advice is just go with a clear mind and don't think much while driving. Let yourself 'flow'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the above and I am sure you will see some improvements.

After this, you need to learn overtaking and for that, you should assume that you are overtaking a virtual kart and drive off-the line. Now, try to brake as late as possible off the line and still make it through the corner. Its like learning the track all over again.
But post this exercise, you'll be able to confidently outbrake your competitors and overtake them without causing a collision.
Also, just after overtaking someone, you need to assume that the kart is still there and leave sufficient rooms for the same. Or, else you'll touch and both of you'll might spin out.
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 11:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Hey driverace,
Its great the amount of effort you are putting into this. The process you have followed upto now is perfect and nothing much to comment there.

Now, you'll have to go beyond the basics and beyond the books and into the 'feel' mode. It is kind of difficult to do but it will get you results.
All you need to do is, forget about driving. Thats right, just forget about all

What is currently happening is that you are going into the kart with some idea about what you want to do in your mind. This keeps your mind pre-occupied and you cannot let it 'flow'. So, my advice is just go with a clear mind and don't think much while driving. Let yourself 'flow'.

With the above and I am sure you will see some improvements.
Also, just after overtaking someone, you need to assume that the kart is still there and leave sufficient rooms for the same. Or, else you'll touch and both of you'll might spin out.
Simply superb advice! Thanks a tonne!

I followed it for last one week- and I am finding that it is working out exactly how described!!
I did spin out.
I did go haywire ( with imaginary karts or real ones! )

I lost it!
and - I gained back with so much speed -and corrections in the way I handle/think in the kart!

I thank thee (again) for this wonderful and to the point help!

Now- My timings are pretty much the same, but - My lines have improved and so has my judgement of braking- and understanding of what to expect when something "pops" up 'blocking' my line(s).

___

Apart from that - the rescheduling of the event has really killed my possibility of joining (my very first event!)

Its rescheduled to 14th-15th of April - as per the organisers.
( and, I have to be at a friend's wedding then!)

Still - if interested in participation- do not rely on this information alone- please follow up with the organisers!

__

That being said-

What I learned and experienced in the past few weeks - is really so overwhelming!
When you learn something you are passionate about- it truly makes you feel alive and content and wanting more- all at the same time!!

Like they say- In pursuit of happiness.. or somethin'!

Keep Kartin'

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 7th April 2012 at 11:35.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:00   #22
BHPian

This is a must watch video for all those who want to race and also for those who are already into racing.

(watch from around 00:36)

First:
The respect Whincup (Vodafone car) gives to the other driver. He locks up the brakes which results in a spin just to avoid ramming into the car in front and pushing him out of the track. One must remember that every car/kart has the right to be on track and you just can't bump someone off.

Second:
Super presence on mind and recovery. Also, while joining the track again, he did not impede anyone. Again it needs some respect for others, you just cant join the track in a way that someone else has to suffer.

Last edited by jalsa777 : 7th April 2012 at 12:01.
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks