Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2006, 05:03   #16
BHPian

Even Karthikeyan himself had a paid seat at Jordan Toyota, sponsored by Tata, BP and other companies. This season, he lost it to Monteiro in the Midland F1 team as Monteiro could come up with more money than NK. There was nothing to do with talent there. It's a similar story with most of the smaller F1 teams.
PS: Tata lost a golden opportunity in 2003 when Sauber Petronas wanted Karthikeyan on a paid seat but he couldn't find enough funds when Tata refused to sponsor him.
Old 30th June 2006, 06:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
Even Karthikeyan himself had a paid seat at Jordan Toyota, sponsored by Tata, BP and other companies. This season, he lost it to Monteiro in the Midland F1 team as Monteiro could come up with more money than NK. There was nothing to do with talent there. It's a similar story with most of the smaller F1 teams.
PS: Tata lost a golden opportunity in 2003 when Sauber Petronas wanted Karthikeyan on a paid seat but he couldn't find enough funds when Tata refused to sponsor him.
1. I believe it was Minardi that offered NK a seat
2. I dont think Monteiro is paying for his seat. NK lost his because of politics.
Old 30th June 2006, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
2. I dont think Monteiro is paying for his seat. NK lost his because of politics.
Midland always wanted a paid driver as their 2nd driver. Only politics involved was Montiero's sponsors coughing up more money.
Montiero almost lost his seat to test-driver Italian Nicky Pastorelli. But less than 12 hours before the cars launch, his sponsors had the money. Meanwhile, another young driver, Markus Winkelhock brings in a big sponsor who just fails to match Monteiro's offer, ut has a better offer than Pastorelli. And in the end, the much talented Pastorelli is dropped for Markus as the teams test-driver. Monteiro brings 4.5 million$ to the team and Winkelhock brings around 3.75m$.
Trivia: Tata offered Midland only 2.5 million$. For Karthikeyan to get a test-driver seat at Williams seat, Tata were forced to part witth a further 500,000$ a seaon.
Old 30th June 2006, 11:04   #19
Team-BHP Support

Ahem

We are talking about NK and Amaron and racing in India - we have totally gone off-course!
Old 1st July 2006, 20:33   #20
BHPian

I wud like to Point out that Monteiro finished all but one race last year, consistency is a rare talent..
Old 2nd July 2006, 18:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-a-tac
As one of the first few initiatives of the academy, racing workshops will be conducted at the Kari Motor Speedway in Coimbatore. The Amaron-NK Racing Academy is going to be more for the grassroot level. They are going to identify young talents, mainly below the age of 21-years-old and train them in all areas like engineering, driving and fitness etc.
So this is similar to the Red Bull talent search program for American drivers that was won by Scott Speed.

So, how is the racing workshop conducted, using karts? and who can enter?
Old 2nd July 2006, 18:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mainly below the age of 21-years-old
What do you mean by mainly? Are there exceptions where people above the age of 21 are selected?

Shan2nu
Old 3rd July 2006, 01:36   #23
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

It is highly unlikely they would be selecting anyone above 21 yrs. Just like other racing academies all over the world. Some exceptions could be made, bt for that you have to be really-damn good and unbelieavably fast. Primarily, these academies are opened to scout and develop youth talent. They start off with Karts and generally end up in in cars almost similar to ones used in Formula Renault or the Champ Car series. All-Round development is the key here.
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The Amaron-NK Racing Academy is going to be more for the grassroot level. They are going to identify young talents, mainly below the age of 21-years-old and train them in all areas like engineering, driving and fitness etc. So, it gives them the right platform to start off.
i would like you to provide full details regarding this....i'm 22, finished my Mech Engg and as much as i would love to drive 24 hours non-stop, i would also like to know everything technically concerned with an automobile.....when i say 'everything', i mean that i should be able to disassemble every nut & bolt and restore it to the original condition ........afterall just driving is not everything!!!......
how could someone enroll for this? is there any criteria? .....can you please provide me with contact details for this? you can pm me, but i suggest you reply here as anybody else interested can also benefit.......even if i couldnt race, i would like to learn about automobiles, by getting some hands-on-experience!

Quote:
The other part to it (academy) is that four young drives are going to be shot listed from the team and they will be competing in the JK Tyres National Championship wherein they will be competing in formula roll-on championship.
and how is the four-some going to be selected???......
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:44   #25
BHPian

Well, im not sure of the details but the Formula Rolon is gonna be the elite category of racin in the country so i dont think it makes sense for a talented but inexperienced driver to race there... So i guess they'll be lookin for some good experience. FISSMEs or Rotax atleast....
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Any chance of getting into Touring Car Racing (WTCC or something on those lines) from such programmes? Coz not everyone is going to be interested in single seater racing.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 3rd July 2006 at 13:23.
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:45   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Any chance of getting into Touring Car Racing (WTCC or something on those lines) from such programmes? Coz not everyone is going to be interested in single seater racing.

[

I actually find these more fun to watch than F1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks