Team-BHP - Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Indian Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/)
-   -   Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-motorsport/149614-speedway-kochi-go-karting-race-track-kochi.html)

I recently came across this facebook page, Speedway Kochi, a Go Karting race track that is going to be opened at Kochi. There hasn't been much details given in the page, besides its location; Infopark highway , rajagiri valley , Kakkanad, Kochi, India. I guess, finally Cochin gets a race track! clap: Has anyone heard much about this? According to the page, this track is currently undergoing construction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjuunz (Post 3405093)
I recently came across this facebook page, Speedway Kochi, a Go Karting race track that is going to be opened at Kochi. According to the page, this track is currently undergoing construction.

Yes, it's under construction but should be ready in a month. Good thing is that they are bringing in new karts.

Here are some pics. Courtesy - Facebook

Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi-1978791_608704119207797_847485396_n.jpg

Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi-1795895_610325129045696_1959278924_o.jpg

Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi-1898817_610218812389661_627406766_o.jpg

Speedway Kochi: A Go Karting Race track @ Kochi-1658488_593205507424325_1198367263_o.jpg

Any idea on the lane width of the track?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 3405183)
Any idea on the lane width of the track?

The track is 9m wide.

How can I be the first to set a track time? :)

This is great news! I travel almost everyday through that road and never noticed this! May be too concentrated on the car and straight road ahead!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedate (Post 3405638)
How can I be the first to set a track time? :)

This is great news! I travel almost everyday through that road and never noticed this! May be too concentrated on the car and straight road ahead!

I would love to take a run on that lap, :thumbup: buts it's not open yet! They haven't even announced a date.

Holy mother. I'm at the Athulya building and this is just the right reason to call in sick more than often!

In Kochi, motorsports and racing fans usually ride their cars and race around in some of the abandoned and sometimes inhabited roads of the city. Street racing being illegal, we are witnessing more and more enthusiasts resort to unlawful ways due to the lack of a proper track to race on. As a solution to this and as a one-of-its-kind venture in Kerala, Speedway Kochi go karting is going to ‘vroom’ along in Kochi this May.
For all the racing and motorsports fans out there, we have some good news. In a couple of weeks from now, the first officially sanctioned motorsports paradise, Speedway, located on the Infopark expressway, Kakkanad will be open to public. Speedway Kochi would be one of racing’s premiere venues in Kerala which will open doors for a cluster of motorsports related opportunities like motorsports media, racing technology and so forth.

Here are some aspects of this project:

History and Initiation:
What is motorsports without a club? The Tuners Edge club is a motorsports enthusiasts club where people with interests akin get together. “Motorsports is thrilling and the idea of Speedway Kochi flourished from this club”, says Jos Jacob, the owner of this initiative to Kochi Sky High. He also says that this is one initiative which could stop people from racing on the streets.

What is Speedway? What will it offer?
Speedway Kochi will offer Kart racing or karting which is a variant of open-wheeled motorsports with small, open, four-wheeled vehicles called karts or go-karts depending on the design. Go-Karting is commonly perceived as the stepping stone to the higher and more expensive ranks of motorsports.

About the circuits:
In the 1 acre plot in the Infopark expressway, Speedway Kochi circuits boasts of 9M wide tracks for racing, which is the first of its kind in South India. Two types of carts, the rental types and the imported models which are imported from Italy are offered.

What is in it for you?
For racers and motorsports buffs, this place will be your dream destination as it offers 8 imported carts which are powerful, racing-type carts which would need professional experience to ride.
For non-racers and common public, Speedway lets you go ‘karting’ on the recreational karts which are easy to ride and you do not need any professional experience as such. Beginners are also welcome and 10 such carts are to be made available for you to learn to cut the corners like an expert.

Future of motorsports:
Picture this – An ideal place for a family outing, to spend some quality time on the tracks and to have an action-packed, fun-filled experience besides enjoying motorsports in its ultimate form. That is Speedway in a nutshell for you.
Speedway Kochi is located at Kakkanad near the Infopark IT Hub. It is just 1.2 km from Seaport Airport road in the Infopark Expressway.

Source : http://www.kochiskyhigh.com/get-set-kerala-speedway-kochi-go-karting/

Does anyone have any updates on the status of the track? Is it up and fully functional?

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakubKC (Post 3458238)
Does anyone have any updates on the status of the track? Is it up and fully functional?

I had gone there yesterday night. The track is open and fully functional. Best part of it is that its open till late (around 10pm) so we can peacefully drive from the city till here once the traffic subsides. However lighting at night currently ain't very good so I wouldn't recommend coming here post 7pm. They have about 6 karts which are in pretty good condition as of now. Overall experience was good, save for a tire burst incident. I'm not sure if tire bursts are common in these kind of karts but I didn't really lose control of the kart even after the tire burst. Maybe the karting experts can shed some more light on this? Anyway, this incident has certainly helped me better appreciate the run flat tires in my bimmer :D

I went there with some of my friends about two weeks ago. It was my first Go-karting experience. Had a wonderful and adrenaline filled race. Best part is I won.:uncontrol I wish the track was a bit longer and it didn't cost so much.

300 bucks per person for five short laps. My friends say it costs only 120 in banglore for a similar track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakul0888 (Post 3476541)
I went there with some of my friends about two weeks ago. It was my first Go-karting experience. Had a wonderful and adrenaline filled race. Best part is I won.:uncontrol I wish the track was a bit longer and it didn't cost so much.

300 bucks per person for five short laps. My friends say it costs only 120 in banglore for a similar track.

Nice when the motorsport bug bites! Do they have faster karts.. any idea how many Hp/cc they were

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatari (Post 3476770)
Nice when the motorsport bug bites! Do they have faster karts.. any idea how many Hp/cc they were

I don't know any of the technical details as such. But I can say it was good fun. The tracks not that big at all. If you really get cracking the 5 laps are going to be over in a jiffy. For the track I think the karts are fast enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakul0888 (Post 3476861)
I don't know any of the technical details as such. But I can say it was good fun. The tracks not that big at all. If you really get cracking the 5 laps are going to be over in a jiffy. For the track I think the karts are fast enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 275BHP (Post 3476333)
I had gone there yesterday night. The track is open and fully functional. Best part of it is that its open till late (around 10pm) so we can peacefully drive from the city till here once the traffic subsides. However lighting at night currently ain't very good so I wouldn't recommend coming here post 7pm. They have about 6 karts which are in pretty good condition as of now. Overall experience was good, save for a tire burst incident. I'm not sure if tire bursts are common in these kind of karts but I didn't really lose control of the kart even after the tire burst. Maybe the karting experts can shed some more light on this? Anyway, this incident has certainly helped me better appreciate the run flat tires in my bimmer :D

Do they keep track of your lap timings?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecenandu (Post 3479221)
Do they keep track of your lap timings?

Nope. It's a simple affair. Fill a form, hand over the 300 bucks. Race n go home.:)