Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2015, 16:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015

The dates of 20th-25th January 2015 will see the Kari Motor Speedway play host to the first ever JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge. The competition will witness over 900 students from India’s top engineering colleges including IIT Delhi, IIT Madras, BITS Pilani, put forth their prototype racing cars to prove their technological prowess.

The competition gives budding engineers an intensive experience in designing, manufacturing and testing self-built prototypes in real-time conditions. Apart from the ultimate thrill of making and driving a race car, the winner stands a chance to assist the professional engineering teams at one of the several motorsport events organised by the title sponsor, JK Tyre.

Tracing its roots to the 1980’s, this is an international design competition that comes to India after traversing across the world. Experienced global experts from the fields of automotive design, manufacturing and business will judge the prototypes created by the students. JK TYRE FDC 2015 is being organised by Delta Inc., which is run by B.Tech/ BE alumni from engineering colleges across India including the IITs. After being shortlisted over the year, the final 36 teams underwent various static inspections and competitions in the design, business and cost events.

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-jk1.jpg

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-jk2.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 24th January 2015 at 16:18.
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 16:01   #2
BHPian

Re: JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015

Looks interesting! Is it in any case related to SAE Supra?

I say so because the engine is from a RE 500 and Supra limits the engine size to 600cc. The design and build is same as that of the Supra format.

This was my college's team - Thunderbolt

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-10553801_573504839425509_8265840303804870851_o.jpg

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-10348870_721159874586808_6053147367349085383_o.jpg

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-10572261_721161877919941_695128216450232818_o.jpg

Edit : It is Formula Student India (FSI) & it is being held for the first time. My college's team is not participating this time

Last edited by 4k_jz : 25th January 2015 at 16:08.
4k_jz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 17:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
Edit : It is Formula Student India (FSI) & it is being held for the first time. My college's team is not participating this time
It was Formula Student India but due to copyright issues they changed it to Formula Design Challenge.

We participated in this event. It was our first try at designing and buliding a car. We didn't clear Tech inspection as we had flouted a couple of rules. However we came 13th in the Business Logic case which is a good thing.

I haven't participated in SAE Supra so can't compare both the events. However I feel the main aim of the jury was to make the Indian teams realize why most of us don't make it through international competitions.
A very good experience altogether. Any others who participated this year?
My car no. was 25.

Last edited by dean5545 : 25th January 2015 at 17:38.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 18:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
We participated in this event. It was our first try at designing and buliding a car. We didn't clear Tech inspection as we had flouted a couple of rules. However we came 13th in the Business Logic case which is a good thing.

I haven't participated in SAE Supra so can't compare both the events.
My car no. was 25.
The level of scrutiny in the technical inspection round was harder than cracking IIT. Only 10 teams out of 110 or so were able to clear the tech inspection.

We were able to clear the technical inspection as we had an experience of SAE Baja twice. Our overall rank was 13th.

It is important to have this level of scrutiny as it will help raise the standards and quality of Indian motor sports at student level.

Congratulations for positioning 13th in business logic. Btw how many sponsors did you get? That in itself is an achievment!
4k_jz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 19:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
Quote:
The level of scrutiny in the technical inspection round was harder than cracking IIT. Only 10 teams out of 110 or so were able to clear the tech inspection.

We were able to clear the technical inspection as we had an experience of SAE Baja twice. Our overall rank was 13th.

It is important to have this level of scrutiny as it will help raise the standards and quality of Indian motor sports at student level.
Completely agree with you on this one. It is better to get disqualified and learn from our mistakes here itself than spend butt load of money, go to places like Germany and get disqaulified while Technical inspection itself. Not to mention the defamation of our countries image.
Quote:
Congratulations for positioning 13th in business logic. Btw how many sponsors did you get? That in itself is an achievment!
LOL we didn't have any sponsors. We all dutched in money. We spent around 7 lakhs with 25 people in our group. Some paid more some paid less.
Our first mistake was to buy an R6. You don't need a big engine to win the competition it all depends on your design. And how well you know the car.
BTW We are participating in SAE BAJA 2015. Our car no. is 10 hope to see you there. All the mistakes we did in Formula Design helped us build a better car for BAJA.

Last edited by dean5545 : 25th January 2015 at 19:45.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 21:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
LOL we didn't have any sponsors. We all dutched in money. We spent around 7 lakhs with 25 people in our group. Some paid more some paid less.
Our first mistake was to buy an R6. You don't need a big engine to win the competition it all depends on your design. And how well you know the car.
BTW We are participating in SAE BAJA 2015. Our car no. is 10 hope to see you there. All the mistakes we did in Formula Design helped us build a better car for BAJA.
Same here! No monetary help but we were able to get CNC machining done at minimal cost.

So true! They are testing how well you have practiced engineering. These projects are experience of a lifetime. I am lucky I got an opportunity to be a part of my college's BAJA team.

We have been consistently participating in BAJA. This is the 4th time. We will surely meet at BAJA trax, Pithampur. Our car no. is 78

All the very best!
4k_jz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Team Orion Racing from the KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, Mumbai win the JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015!

As the overall champions, members of the team will get an opportunity to spend a day with JK Tyre’s race engineers during one of the JK Tyre race weekends. Team Formula Manipal (Manipal University) and Pravega Racing (VIT University) stood at second and third positions respectively.

In static events, Orion Racing won the business plan and design events, while NIT-Calicut’s Team Unwired won the cost event. Orion Racing performed well in dynamic events as well and won the endurance and fuel efficiency events. Manipal University’s Team Formula Manipal was the winner in acceleration and skidpad events, while Team Octane of COE Pune won the Autocross event.

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-jk2.jpg

(L to R) The winning cars from Orion Racing, Team Pravega and Formula Manipal
JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-jktyre.jpg

JK Tyre Formula Design Challenge 2015-orionjk.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 27th January 2015 at 10:15.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks