Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2007, 00:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Yes there is. It is the cheapest car you can buy and run a rally and get good reliability and cheap parts.

Also, Maruti is one of the few manufacturers to homologate their cars. The only others homologated are the Lancer & Cedia, OHC 1.3, 1.5 & Vtec and the Fiesta.

The cedia and Fiesta are far to expensive to run for most expect the well funded at this point.

The Ikon was close to getting in, but Ford backed out. Hyundai showed really encouraging signs of entering, then they realised that their accent would get beat by a 1.3L Esteem, so they backed out. The Palio was close to running as a one make series. Then we all know what happened to Fiat India.

The Honda's were an excellent rally car. Even though Honda India did not give any support whatsoever, their cars were so reliable that it didn't matter!

Then Maruti came in with some support, so the OHC was dropped and the Baleno taken up. Since 2006, HM & Ford have shown small signs of support with the Cedia and Fiesta. But still very very limited.

So for a privateer, the cheapest would be a MPFI Esteem or Baleno if they want to graduate to the 1600cc class. Hence, by default, 98% of the cars are Maruti's.
That is a very good explanation but doesn't explain why the other companies shied away or backed off (apart from the Hyundai's story of chickening out) from getting into rallying when they had the right equipments to do so.

Moreover also proves that the presence/dominance of Maruti cars in rallying does not speak anything in favour of the competence of its base cars. It was only Maruti which made it easy for privateers and worked for mutual benefits , which the others could not envisage. So now they are slowly trickling in.

Last edited by 1100D : 6th October 2007 at 00:27.
Old 7th October 2007, 03:35   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Moreover also proves that the presence/dominance of Maruti cars in rallying does not speak anything in favour of the competence of its base cars.
it does speak loads about the competence of these cars - maruti cars are reliable, cheap and provide very good performance for the buck and the same cannot be said about the other companies. the other cars may be beter than maruti, but they are not as competetive at the same cost.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th October 2007 at 03:37.
Old 10th October 2007, 13:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
I would like to check if SX4 is homologated to run in the INRC?
Not yet, everyone is all out to watch it perform in the WRC first, by the way its the 5 door Sx4 that is built for the WRC and some local Europian rallies, the 4 door is on for launch in the Europian and us markets in early 2008, so have to wait and watch on the developments reguarding the same, but form the experince of taking my Sx4 on the MMST track its a gem of an handler for a high GC car, the stiff chassies its got really helps, waiting to head home when I am done here in the us to build my Sx4 to complete street/track specs.....
Update: The Sx4 WRC, of which did run about a couple of weeks back in a local Europian rally did well in what ever time they could clock, but they were not classified as finished in the final sheets...
Old 10th October 2007, 14:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Very true, I had a short ride on the track and it did have a stiff chassis. The High GC can be cured with lowering springs.
I think I saw lowering springs for SX4 on the Pedders Website.
Has any other brand launched lowering springs for SX4??
Old 10th October 2007, 20:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Very true, I had a short ride on the track and it did have a stiff chassis. The High GC can be cured with lowering springs.
I think I saw lowering springs for SX4 on the Pedders Website.
Has any other brand launched lowering springs for SX4??
ya the full Height Adjustable Coilover Kit(basic) from TEIN suspension, have one kit with me now it retails out for around 960$(discounted price other wise it is 1050$)+ shipping to india.
Old 10th October 2007, 21:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

How many inches can U lower?
Old 13th October 2007, 01:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
the other cars may be beter than maruti, but they are not as competetive at the same cost.
Please note, I am talking base cars here, not post mods.

However Support from Maruti is unquestionable, the wealth of Mods available is well known, but it is an area most other companies never even care about exploring till about recent times.

Lets just hope the Giants wake up and put in proper perspective the correct pecking order of the Maruti's.

Last edited by 1100D : 13th October 2007 at 01:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks