Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2005, 12:52   #1
bhp
BHPian

exhaust pipe sideways

hey guys i wanted to know how does an 4*1 header and the exhaust pipe being fitted sideways help in an drag race .. i had seen them before and also a couple of them at the speedrun 05 bbay .. to name a few were a nice hot looking decaled ikon and wine red colored alto driven by the most senior most participant
Old 23rd February 2005, 13:08   #2
BHPian

well i doubt that exhaust pipe being sideways do any help in performance. it looks unique. a frnd of mine (shoheb) had done it in last yr's drag ('04) to his zen. looks a bit standout from the others though....

& well the oldest participant in the red alto was against a turbo charged esteem. :o
Old 24th February 2005, 17:32   #3
BHPian

The exhaust being fitted sideways is how they fit it on the Protons in Malaysia. Especially in Kuala Lumpur. I've seeen most of the cars there even a subaru impreza which i have a pic of has the exhaust sideways. no performance increase i guess but just for show. cause i saw one subaru which was pointed towards the right and one towards the left. similarly even in the protons. so i dont think there is any performance increase in the sideways muffler.
Old 24th February 2005, 17:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

maybe to have a shorter length after the headers??
Old 24th February 2005, 18:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about the sideways part but a larger exhaust tube at the end of the exhaust always helps in scavenging more effectively.
Old 25th February 2005, 06:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey,

Assuming that u mean the exhaust tip is comming out sideways somewhere infront of the rear tires.
My guess would be the advantage is that the pipe is shorter, and that may have its benefits if done correctly.
However, alternatively, the exhaust system looses out on the vaccum created behind the car at high speeds for aiding the exit of exhaust gasses.

cya
R
Old 5th March 2005, 00:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey,

Assuming that u mean the exhaust tip is comming out sideways somewhere infront of the rear tires.
My guess would be the advantage is that the pipe is shorter, and that may have its benefits if done correctly.
However, alternatively, the exhaust system looses out on the vaccum created behind the car at high speeds for aiding the exit of exhaust gasses.

cya
R
Hey dude, the vaccum that you are taking doesnt come until the vehicle reaches 150mph with certain dynamics on the car itself to create the vaccum...Infact the vaccum that trails the car is the residual down force,,so dynamics need to be right.So the side pipe doesnt realy matter on our Indian cars. Rather its more to show around and as the pipe is right next to your right ear, when youre going at average speeds, you tend to get a feel of high speed due to the loud hum right next to you...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks