Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 07:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Help needed Formula SAE Team Fateh

We'd used an R6 engine back in the day - does it not conform to their rules anymore?
Old 29th December 2017, 08:47   #17
BHPian

Hi fellow SAE Members,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntmehau View Post
Just reviving an old post for some help.
Finding a specific engine with proper electrical, engine and gearbox combos are very difficult. If money is not a constraint (which I'm pretty sure isn't an option) you can purchase just the engine from abroad. But, it has its risks, like the combo may or may not work. Similar risks with say the Mumbai-Kurla market. If you know the right contact here, i have been told you can get whatever you want - legally-illegally

Best option is buying the entire bike from olx - If you are lucky you might source the same. Don't constraint yourself to a particular city though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Your best bet would be to find a used bike and use the engine. My team did that for the KTM duke 390 engine. Good luck on finding the CBR with constraints of time and budget.
Safest and cost efficient option - Abundance of parts available. There are some tuners that can turn this engine into a rocket even with the restrictor provided you can build a light car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
We'd used an R6 engine back in the day - does it not conform to their rules anymore?
AFAIK its still 600cc limit.

Last edited by ampere : 4th January 2018 at 23:17. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 29th December 2017, 22:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVirage View Post
610 cc is the limit for SUPRA SAE India. (I graduated in 2017, so these were the figures when I was designing the car)
My team used a KTM 390 cc engine though.
Quote:
Safest and cost efficient option - Abundance of parts available. There are some tuners that can turn this engine into a rocket even with the restrictor provided you can build a light car.
I believe that Redrooster in Coimbatore has a great set of maps for the CBR 600.
I'm sure even Spitfire has a trick or two up his sleeve.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 29th December 2017 at 22:58.
Old 4th January 2018, 23:03   #19

Quote:
I know some rival teams which used to import engines from somewhere in UK, but I don't know any more details about that.
That will be the last option for us. But, as you know, it'll cost a lot.

Quote:
Pravega is a great team and your seniors would have contacts for sure. I'm wondering why you are posting here.
Finding a CBR 600 RR has always been a big headache for the team. All the contacts in India have been used up to buy the previous engines. We just want the engine and not the remaining salvage parts, which is the main issue.

Quote:
If you want an engine for testing purposes, buy it from a rival team- there's a great risk associated with buying engines from rival teams though- nobody knows what the engine has been put through.
Us being one of the teams, will never rely on other teams for an engine!

Quote:
EDIT: You can get one from service centers from bikes which have been totalled. Try your luck
We are trying to do that. No luck so far.

Quote:
Similar risks with say the Mumbai-Kurla market. If you know the right contact here, i have been told you can get whatever you want - legally-illegally
I will look into this place. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Best option is buying the entire bike from olx - If you are lucky you might source the same.
Again a viable option. Will look into it.

Quote:
It has been upped to 710 cc in Formula Student for now!

Thanks for all the inputs. Any more help is highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks