Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 10:24   #1

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!

Are you sure you guys are planning to take a Santro? We said yes as we were not in a position to shell out 1.50 lac on a second hand Gypsy of a regular raider friend in such a short span of time. The preparations started as me and my close friend Vinish got entry in the Adventure Trial of RDH 2007, With just a little idea of what is the Raid all about. Spare parts, service, new tyres, brakes, warmers, dry fruits, chocolates, some cash and we were ready with our santro to be the part of one of the toughest car rallies of the world and managed to be in the raid till the end.

After having traversed through one of the toughest terrains in the Himalayas, covering about 800 km which included the Rohtang Pass and Kumzum-La, the eight day Raid de Himalaya was truncated at the halfway stage at Patseo due to heavy snowfall and inclement weather.

I am sharing few photographs of RDH 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc00325.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc00495.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc00588.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc00671.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc00952.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc00995.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc01051.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc01074.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc01096.jpg  

Raid de Himalaya 2007 - Revisiting the memory lane!-dsc01110.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 11:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Looks like you guys had a taste of real adventure. Kudos for having taken the terrain on in a Santro - love those pics of you guys follwing the Gypsies

Last edited by suman : 11th December 2008 at 11:17.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Whoa
Amazing pics
must have been one hell of a experience.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Whoa Whoa ! First of all Congrats buddy Boom_Shankar to have you and your ride's presence felt on "Raid De Himalaya" on the adventure trail. Your participation and experience is really inspirational as my bro-in-law wants to do this along with me. I will definitely get in touch with you on this and if am not wrong all rides are stock is it not? Certainly I would like "Maverick" to get onto this stretch and hope it materializes . Its a thought and I hope it materializes one day.
Old 11th December 2008, 11:51   #5
adc
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and some good pics. So how was the suspension and undercarraige holding up at the end.

Also, in all the snow and cold temperature, were the diesel cars kept "on" the whole night or they started in the morning normally after a few tries?
Old 11th December 2008, 12:04   #6
BHPian

Boom: That is indeed a great feat, a Santro, in these terrains. Have been a proud owner of a Santro for 6 odd years and never thought it could reach these heights, literally.

Have the folks at Hyundai taken a note of this achievement? Do ink a few words to them, for all you know you would/could probably be sponsored to participate in more of these events in the years to come.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Boom Shankar,

Amazing spirits buddy. Are these the only pics or you have posting them now. Tell us about the registration process for Raid de Himalaya and its rules and guidelines.

Dwarak
Old 11th December 2008, 12:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Wow! Looks like you guys had a taste of real adventure. Kudos for having taken the terrain on in a Santro - love those pics of you guys follwing the Gypsies
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Whoa
Amazing pics
must have been one hell of a experience.
Thanks Suman and Akshay. Yes, The experience was awesome, difficult to express in words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Whoa Whoa ! First of all Congrats buddy Boom_Shankar to have you and your ride's presence felt on "Raid De Himalaya" on the adventure trail. Your participation and experience is really inspirational as my bro-in-law wants to do this along with me. I will definitely get in touch with you on this and if am not wrong all rides are stock is it not? Certainly I would like "Maverick" to get onto this stretch and hope it materializes . Its a thought and I hope it materializes one day.
Thanks Mavrick. You can participate with your stock car in Adventure trial, so long it is in good condition. I am always available for any talk regarding Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Congrats and some good pics. So how was the suspension and undercarraige holding up at the end.

Also, in all the snow and cold temperature, were the diesel cars kept "on" the whole night or they started in the morning normally after a few tries?
Thanks adc. We were lucky to return home with our car in one piece, The suspension was absolutely fine at the end and the under body protection does a great job with few dents and scratches. First two days were fine for the diesel engines but at Patseo where the temperature was -5, All the diesel engines were kept on running for entire night and few who didn't bother had a tough time in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Boom: That is indeed a great feat, a Santro, in these terrains. Have been a proud owner of a Santro for 6 odd years and never thought it could reach these heights, literally.

Have the folks at Hyundai taken a note of this achievement? Do ink a few words to them, for all you know you would/could probably be sponsored to participate in more of these events in the years to come.
Thanks Suren. We did talked to Hyundai guys here in Chandigarh before Raid but they were not intrested in what we were talking. Santro is a great car with amazing pick up and power but it was really tough to take it on that terrain.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th December 2008 at 17:34. Reason: Removed contact info on request
Old 11th December 2008, 14:28   #9
BHPian

@boom shankar
Is the 1st pic of peter hoff's ?

yeah, this really is one of its own kinds awesome, even my cousin participated in it in 2007 in Adventure, you remember Sameer Dogra in any case ?
Old 11th December 2008, 14:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Terrific effort & lovely pics boom. Must have been a great feeling indeed.

P.S Please remove your phone number from post # 8. PM it to VJ instead.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wow that was a tremondous effort. So is there a navigator required for this one as in i have no idea how this works?
Old 11th December 2008, 15:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Boom Shankar,

Amazing spirits buddy. Are these the only pics or you have posting them now. Tell us about the registration process for Raid de Himalaya and its rules and guidelines.

Dwarak
Thanks Dwaraka. I'll post lots more in coming days. You will get the registration form and all other details regarding rules and regulations from raid-de-himalaya.com and need to get the competition license from MAI (:: MAI ::), All the documents required are mentioned in the form itself. It runs under two categories "Xtreme" (for professionals and with a rally prepared car) and "Adventure" (For beginners, You can participate with your stock car). Let me know if you need any information about this.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
@boom shankar
Is the 1st pic of peter hoff's ?

yeah, this really is one of its own kinds awesome, even my cousin participated in it in 2007 in Adventure, you remember Sameer Dogra in any case ?
Yes, Hotel Peter Hoff-The flagoff venue. Sameer Dogra from Shimla?
Old 11th December 2008, 16:00   #14
BHPian

phewwwww....RDH on Santro, needs guts guys. i am sure you must have enjoyed every moment. Some of my friend also participated on Bullet last year. perhaps they do it every year.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow! My respect for the Santro has gone up exponentially after seeing this! Good going dude!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks