Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2004, 13:38   #1

Can somebody here throw some light on the official rules
in Drag racing? As per the scene in India?

I mean, say for example we have this thing called reaction
time. is reaction time added to the final ET?

In other words, when exactly does the clock start? Does it
start when the green light goes on? Or does it start only
when the front wheel cuts the start line?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 29th May 2004, 02:31   #2
BHPian

"Maamukkoya" ... Oh... Tom, you were reffering to him when u said (For Maamukkoya)
hmmm....

Well Maamukkoya,
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I mean, say for example we have this thing called reaction
time. is reaction time added to the final ET?

In other words, when exactly does the clock start? Does it
start when the green light goes on? Or does it start only
when the front wheel cuts the start line?
If you apply your mind and a bit of logic, you will get the answer to your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Can somebody here throw some light on the official rules
in Drag racing? As per the scene in India?
Probably only the participants can tell you, if the rules were different here from the worldwide rules that are used. (but as far as I can recollect, there werent much rules for the actual race, but after finishing, while returning there were few rules u had to follow like a speed limit for egs.) Thats all that I can tell you.
Old 31st May 2004, 12:54   #3
Tom
BHPian

isnt that funny? we all talk so much abt the Speed 93 drags and we dont even know how the timing works?
Old 31st May 2004, 13:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

OK Tom,

Ideally, the Reaction time (RT) is not added to your elapsed time (ET). THe RT is only used when the ET's of 2 cars are the same. So the RT is used as the tie breaker.

However, what i noticed from the autocar drag is that they added the RT to the ET and used this combined time for the results. Although I can't confirm this 100%, but it seemed pretty obvoius in a few instances when a guy stalled at the line before he crossed the beam, and his time showed up as 30+ secs, when it would have been about 18 secs. So they added the 2 sec RT to his ET.

For the level drags are running at, there are no hard and fast rules that they have to follow. However, once things become more professional, then they would have to follow a set rule with regards to timing.

Hope that answers your question

Rtech
Old 31st May 2004, 13:39   #5
Tom
BHPian

ok...we know how it works at the international level.
We actually required more clarity on how the Speed 93 guys timed the runs.

None of the participants seemed to know for sure too. Mr. Bathena was too busy when he was here to answer any of our questions.
Old 31st May 2004, 14:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Maamukkoya,

Rtech, correct me if i am wrong, but i think -
The RT is the time taken from when the light turns green till the front wheels cross the starting line.
The overall time of the drag (that autocar mentioned ie 13secs etc) it the time taken from when the lights turn green till the car crosses the finishing line.
The RT is just a interesting bit of info to know, but serves no official purpose other than a tie-breaker as Rtech mentioned.
Think about it, if they only measured the time from when the car crosses the start line till the time it crosses the finish line, then a person could chill for 5mins at the start after the lights go green and then do i fast run and still beat his competitor! lol! The lights would be of no use then!

So basically i think the RT is just a part of a breakup of the overall time that is useful information when isolated from the total time.(for drivers especially)

cya
R

ps - i think i have the official rules for the drag that were sent out to competitors, let me know if you want them and i shall hunt for them, although im not sure that they go into the specifics like this, but interesting nevertheless.cya

Old 31st May 2004, 15:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

aaargh,,,i just typed a long reply and then I pressed the wrong button!!!!!

Old 31st May 2004, 15:49   #8
Tom
BHPian

YEs Rehaan.
I guess everybody is pretty clear of how RT is calculated and how the actual run tim is calculated.

Confusion is......whether the Speed 93 organisers included the RT in the run time or not.
Old 31st May 2004, 15:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Pferdestärke @ May 29 2004,01:01)]If you apply your mind and a bit of logic, you will get the answer to your own question.
Now where is this bugger I would like to see him apply his mind and logic and clear up this confusion. Waiting for you, boss...
Old 31st May 2004, 16:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

lets simplify shall we..!

The first person to cross the finish lines wins! Just as long as he hasn't "fouled" the start and got DQ'd.

Thats all you need to know

However, in the Autocar drags, it is only the overall time that counts, which is the RT added to the ET to give the overall time. They don't run qualifiers or eliminations, so they only go by time, which, for them, is the simplest way to run the event.

Old 31st May 2004, 16:20   #11
Tom
BHPian

Rtech....thats the problem
I think thr were some cases where the guy finsihing second won cos his run time was quicker.

We also have the rules issued by the organisers of Speed 93 as we had a team entry.
But sadly these things are not mentioned anywhere in it.
Old 31st May 2004, 16:27   #12

It may have nothing to do with crossing the line ahead of the other guy. Because for all you know, the other person might not be in your class at all.

You might be racing a 350 and the other guy can be say a shogun belonging to the 110cc class.

The point of interest is the Timing, and those guys havent properely mentioned whether they add the RT or not...

In the Autocar issue, they have mentioned that "RT was not measured, and only the Total time was measured".

Again that leaves a doubt to as what the "total" time is. The clock can start either at the green light or when the wheels cross the start line.
Old 31st May 2004, 16:42   #13
Team-BHP Support

Total time, as already mentioned, is the RT + ET.

Autocar said they did not "publish" the RT, but that was taken into account fro the timings. The RT was measured, that I am 100% sure off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think thr were some cases where the guy finsihing second won cos his run time was quicker.

We also have the rules issued by the organisers of Speed 93 as we had a team entry.
But sadly these things are not mentioned anywhere in it.
The regulations clearly state that "the cars will be judged by timings". So who cross's the line first don't make a diff., although, i think I'm correct when i say that the car with the lower overall time will cross the line first! Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]You might be racing a 350 and the other guy can be say a shogun belonging to the 110cc class.
this will only happen in the "open" category.
Old 31st May 2004, 18:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Tom @ May 31 2004,14:19)]YEs Rehaan.
I guess everybody is pretty clear of how RT is calculated and how the actual run tim is calculated.

Confusion is......whether the Speed 93 organisers included the RT in the run time or not.
Well i think i gave the reasons but just did not mention what i felt was quite obvious after stating my reasons -
I think its RT+line2line which decides the winner.

cya
Rehaan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks