Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2005, 09:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Mclaren

I think you have totally misunderstood me. Please understand that extra precautions need to be taken when venturing on the track and speed is dangerous in a novice's hands. I have a lot to learn still and all I speak iis common sense. The faster you go, the more risks that you need to cover. After all no one skimps on airplane maintenance. Allow me to respond to your quotes below - my responses are in bold

well as far as the EVO and the JAG story u mentioned there we are not well off to afford to drive such cars around tracks

AAM - This is not a rich-poor issue. I had enough fun in a basic Ford Fiesta around a track. Any car when pushed will eat its pads and tyres - whether a Maruti or a McClaren

..so hope u get my point which says a few experiences learnt on the track do help u in road situations when the need comes..even under panicky situations on track if

AAM - True as long as you were doing this under controlled conditions without endangering anyone - As I was not there, I have no idea what happened

oh ya coming to skid pads,will u pls tell me how many drag strips we have in india where drags are held with safety as the most important factor

AAM - none - you need to find a deserted place.

scene which is so popular here cant get enough sponsors to build rubberized drag strips where in the world will we get SKID PADS from

AAM - simple - rate of return on a Drag Strip is low - why spend crores to attract 500 people so we have a hope in hell of getting one - we need to do things like rural development and the list will go on

....controlled agression is what u need on track and thats what im talking about..

AAM - Aggression is required when you are racing. When you are on the track for the first time, best to develop the skill and tact first and add the aggrssion later when you actually race

comeon give some credit to the wise decision they take of not wanting to do such stunts on roads..

AAM - Why should I give credit for someone who wishes to endanger innocent bystanders instead of innocent pedestrians.

..so according to ur advise is it advisable to get ur suspension work done on the VTEC just to attend the track day..the work will cost u arnd 10k a......
.wise thing would be know the limitations of the car and restrict urself not to cross that border..

AAM - you got me wrong here - all I am talking about is ensuring the car is "track worthy" - 3 mm on your tyre is fine for the road not for the track. I never said anything about modifying the car for a track day. The Vtec does have an underdeveloped suspension but you have to know this as you rightly mentioned in your point. I have a friend who races with an old Alpina 5 Series - 1985 - the back suspension is totally inadequate but he knows how to drift and compensate for the weakness
well i do appreciate ur concern for safety but making it too complicated would only hamper the spirits of the participants

AAM - I never made it complicated - all I stated was take extra precautions to ensure that your car is track worthy and not road worthy. Imagine if you drive to Chennai only to be barred from going on track.

Judging by your responses and other feedback - if you do have some issues with my viewpoints- pls feel free to PM me and discuss directly.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st December 2005 at 09:24.
Old 21st December 2005, 10:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat, what you say makes a lot of sense, and maybe we should invest in a set of brake pads, just for track use. We were anyway discussing the need for a separate set of tyres... and God knows with my launches, I need a standby clutch plate. It's just that, on this particular outing, we were on a rather limited budget.

The objective here is not to start anything. Your experience in such matters is more than all the guys who went, and we appreciate that.

I look forward to seeing the Vtec on track.

PS. One point seems to conflict. For track days, some people recommend upto 5 psi over inflation, whereas others say there's no need. Nitrous and Ajmat are in the former camp. Can someone clear this up for me?!
Old 21st December 2005, 10:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
PS. One point seems to conflict. For track days, some people recommend upto 5 psi over inflation, whereas others say there's no need. Nitrous and Ajmat are in the former camp. Can someone clear this up for me?!
v1per -It really depends on a combination of track, road conidtions, your car - 3-5psi over is a guideline - end of the day - your call on what you are comfortable with.
envy you guys - when I was your age, all I could get my hands on was an Amby + hosur road
Old 21st December 2005, 10:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Regarding tirewear, generally speaking all cars will wear faster on the track. Cars like EVO have extremely soft compound that wear even faster. I wiped out half the life out of a set of Michelin Pilot Sports in 2 track outings. So, guys with Srichakras dont need to worry. There is a TWI rating on you sidewall that gives you a rough idea.

Brakes, definetly make sure you have at least 40% pad left. More than wear, 'fade' is a problem and what you need is semi-metallic pads that will resist fade.
Old 21st December 2005, 11:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
envy you guys - when I was your age, all I could get my hands on was an Amby + hosur road
We are lucky, no doubt. Now, if only someone built a track around here somewhere...
Old 21st December 2005, 11:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I still do it. And I love it
Old 21st December 2005, 12:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

Sideways,

This is truly awesome that you are taking this initiative.

At the moment i can think of just three things to improve awareness & generate interest -
1. (similar to what psycho said) Announce track days well in advance so people have time to plan for the weekend off from work/family/commitments.
2. Put up some pictures and videos to generate some more interest!
3. Esteems for rent sound great for people who dont want to abuse their daily driver, give a rough indication of pricing.

Will let you know if i think of anything else,
cya
R
Old 21st December 2005, 16:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Esteems for rent sound great for people who dont want to abuse their daily driver, give a rough indication of pricing.
No. They dont rent it out for the whole day. Its just for a few laps!
Old 21st December 2005, 23:42   #24
BHPian

There is a race track in chennai?? damn i missed that...i was there in april and could not find one at all!! had spin around spencer instead...where is it located and whats the size like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Greetings everyone. Just finished organising a sucessful track day in Chennai. Hats off to Jd and Sawan (Biker SG) and Poncho for the enthusiasm.Cheers to the guys from Bangalore for having ridden / driven to Chennai to participate. Weather dampned (literally) things on the second day but the beer and biryani made up for lost time.

We would like to involve our fellow team Bhpians from the rest of the country for the next track day. Could you all give us ideas / suggestions and your opinions on how we can make things easier so that you guys can make a trip down south to have some fun.

Looking forward to hearing from all.

Cheers,

Sideways
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its opposite the Hyundai factory in sriperamudur. It rooooooles, but Ive only been there once( for the bike races).
Old 22nd December 2005, 15:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones
There is a race track in chennai?? damn i missed that...i was there in april and could not find one at all!! had spin around spencer instead...where is it located and whats the size like?
Deftone,

Track is located in Sriperambudur. Bang opposite the Hyundai car plant. Total of 13 corners with 2 long straights - main straight and back straight. total length is 3.75Km but we use the shor loop for most club events. Let ua know when you are here next. We'll try and organise a tour for you.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:50   #27
BHPian

Hum issit anywhere near the tollbooth on the ECR?? And they have this cart racing going on there right?? I think i passed by...damn...missed it if thats the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Deftone,

Track is located in Sriperambudur. Bang opposite the Hyundai car plant. Total of 13 corners with 2 long straights - main straight and back straight. total length is 3.75Km but we use the shor loop for most club events. Let ua know when you are here next. We'll try and organise a tour for you.
Old 23rd December 2005, 16:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones
Hum issit anywhere near the tollbooth on the ECR?? And they have this cart racing going on there right?? I think i passed by...damn...missed it if thats the one
No my friend,

ECR is completely on the other side. The track in enroute to the Banglore highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks