Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 19:00   #1
CPH
BHPian

Have you ever thought about getting involved in budget racing?

As title says.

Moat people would love to go on the track. Going racing is for most of us a frightening idea because we think it will cost us more in a week than we ever will earn in a life time.

But racing does not have to be as costly as that. Obviously the more competitive it gets it will show on the credit card statement. However, racing does not mean one goes there to win. It should be fun. And the fun starts when going there. Of course everyone will be fighting for positions till the flag drops.

What is the general view?
Old 9th March 2011, 20:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Have you ever thought about getting involved in budget racing?

yes loads of times , the travelling from bombay to the distant race tracks in tamil nadu and the costof mech support puts me off , otherwise the esteem class is very affordable
Old 9th March 2011, 20:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

i want to race in go-kart's. I think go-karts are far more fun than racing cars. And almost feels they are affordable compared to esteem class.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've done some rallying and totally agree on this point. Some additional costs attached with rallying which puts a huge dent in your pocket besides the actual event entry cost

Travelling fuel cost to the venue ( mostly at far away places from town )
Hotel expense for stays
Engine maintenance/repairs before and after the rally

Generally the above ones sum up to more than the event participation cost but the nuts that we are we don't stop rallying
Old 9th March 2011, 21:27   #5
CPH
BHPian

I would consider track racing the cheaper alternative. Rallying is great, but the prospect of having a rendezvous with unforeseen objects makes it rahter expesive amongst other traits of the rally stages.

However, real budget racing does not necessarily cost the earth. It solely depends on what the material is to start with. I have never had the timke to race myself doing race support and develpment at times. But I am considering to do so and creating a budget class could be a lot of fun.
Old 10th March 2011, 04:54   #6

Is there anything like a 750MC - this is a club mainly for budget racing? People can build their own cars and race them in their various series and clubs. 750 Motor Club - UK Motorsports Race Meetings & Events this is there website. Alternatively Karting is also a very good way to experience the thrills and adrenaline. Is there a list of all the club circuits in India or a body similar to the 750MC?

Out of intrest how would people on here and in general feel about - an outfit that you turned up to and raced a car around a circuit against other cars for a set number of events for a fixed charge.

Regards Shindha
Old 10th March 2011, 14:24   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There certainly are some forms of motorsport that can be enjoyed, without spending a bomb:

- Gokarting : Back to basics, yet so much fun. If competitor skills are more or less the same as yours, then it's 10X the fun.

- Track racing : Of course, with your own car. Main cost = 1 hard track day and you need 4 new tyres (Atleast 20,000 bucks!). Biggest downer : All the action is down south. Us from the West can only drool at pictures. Those from North will get weekday access to the Indian F1 track from 2012 onward.

- Drag racing : FMSCI-Approved events taking place in every major city.

- Offroading : Main cost is the vehicle (starting from 1,00,000 onward). India has plentiful offroad terrain, whichever the State you are from. Main expense : Repairs after you break stuff while 4wheeling.

Want to go professional? Can't think of too many better options than the Polocup

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2011 at 14:26.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

One more form of budget racing is autocross events. All you need is a car and the necessary skills. You can even drive your stock car. There are different classes according to cubic capacity and one can participate from humble 800 to Evo's and Porsche's.

The entry fees are reasonable, under 5k for most events. Unless you try some extreme stunts, your car will not require any modifications or extra care. One will need an FMSCI license for these events and a personal insurance for this events.

Last edited by speedmiester : 10th March 2011 at 15:28.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Main cost = 1 hard track day and you need 4 new tyres (Atleast 20,000 bucks!).
Main reason why i dont take my car to track.
Old 11th March 2011, 06:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

IMO something like 24 hours of lemons would be perfect!

24 Hours of Lemons - Home Page
Old 11th March 2011, 16:42   #11
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
IMO something like 24 hours of lemons would be perfect!

24 Hours of Lemons - Home Page
Endurance racing is great, but this would be impossible at this moment in time to get going in India on a amateur level. Most people serious about budget racing would not be able to afford it.

I am thinking more likely of a one make series to start with or real budget cars.

A lot of people think that racing needs to be ultra fast. IMO it should be ultra fun. Anyone who has watched 2CV racing gets a big smile on its face when thinking about it. Even a M800 can be made quite quick on the track without going for a different engine. The great thing on these is that track tyres won't be eaten up ant an unsustainable rate and the car is cheap to start with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks