Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 19:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Cars in our neighboring country Bangladesh(BD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
A few interesting things to note,

* All the plates are in Bangla so it must be the only allowed language to have the plates in

* Each of the plate says Dhaka; so all these exoticas are actually located in/around Dhaka which is how actually it truly is in terms of spread of the wealth

* Some of the cars even have plates that say Dhaka Metro... Now what kind of classification is that?

About the last point, Initially I thought just like some people write Andhra Pradesh or Maharashtra etc in their plates here probably people in BD like to spell out Dhaka. But no... so many others say Dhaka Metro! Looks like its a classification... Probably just Dhaka is equivalent to say Dhaka suburbs or rural or some such?
You should have been working for the CIA ,I must say you have an eye of tiger .But infact there is no such rule that the license plates need to be in Bengali only,it can be in English as well.And there is no difference in "Dhaka" or "Dhaka Metro",it means the same thing.And you are right about the wealth part as most of the rich chums in the country are from Dhaka.
Old 1st June 2011, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Kishan, could you post some pics of the 'normal' cars and bikes that are used also?

What kind of brands are on offer? What is the 'Maruti' and 'Hero Honda' of Bangladesh? What cars are used as taxis?

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2011, 20:00   #18
BHPian

I have few friends in Bangladesh and one of them showed me photographs of Ferrari in Dhaka and he even used to boast that he has seen quite a few Ferraris in Bangladesh and not even a single one in Chennai. This was way back in 2000/2001.
Old 1st June 2011, 20:09   #19

There is no Ferrari in Bangladesh. This comes from a confirmed source of a well known petrolhead in Bangladesh. And what you see here is the cream of the crop. Bangladesh is otherwise overrun by Jap saloons.
Old 1st June 2011, 20:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Kishan, could you post some pics of the 'normal' cars and bikes that are used also?

What kind of brands are on offer? What is the 'Maruti' and 'Hero Honda' of Bangladesh? What cars are used as taxis?

Cheers!
IIRC, the automotive scene in BAngladesh is centered around reconditioned / refurbished imports, mainly japs (if I'm correct) plus a few cars from India.

PS: Just fished out one of the sources that made me believe so:
Bangladesh Considers Importing Older Cars for Affordability - SkyscraperCity

But damn!!! Such a tiny country and so so many supercars!
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 21:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
There is no Ferrari in Bangladesh. This comes from a confirmed source of a well known petrolhead in Bangladesh. And what you see here is the cream of the crop. Bangladesh is otherwise overrun by Jap saloons.
It was my friend who showed me the pics. I was not sure if there are any Ferrari in Bangladesh. I googled and found there seems to be atleast one Ferrari 328 GTS in Bangladesh. I found this in the following link.

Error - drivetimedhaka.com

I am not sure if I can post this link, but still posting it.

Last edited by jayguar : 1st June 2011 at 22:00.
Old 2nd June 2011, 00:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
It was my friend who showed me the pics. I was not sure if there are any Ferrari in Bangladesh. I googled and found there seems to be atleast one Ferrari 328 GTS in Bangladesh. I found this in the following link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Check out the thread posted by planet rocker,there is a pic of a red 328 there.
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:50   #23
BHPian

Funny you guys think there are no ferraris in BD, infact there are three ferrari's as far as I know,the 328(I will post the pictures soon), a 360 coupe(seen only once) and wait for it ok just see the picture
Attached Images

Last edited by Kishan Shah : 2nd June 2011 at 01:58.
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:19   #24

Will show these pics to my friend and get his opinion. We have an old member here, Chargerman who is from Dhaka, who has a very very clean Supra.

Edit: Is that one of Leepu's Monstrosities?? the F50 replica I mean...
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:22   #25
BHPian

Yes people this was a little pun from my side .It is not a real f50,it was infact made by Mr.Leepu quite long ago.The car is based on a Honda civic and other than the lights and the ferrari logos,everything else is hand built.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:39   #26
BHPian

I hope at least some of you also remember that few years ago, where there was a caretaker govt crack down on corruption, there were a lots of these super cars left in outskirts of Dhaka with the keys in the ignition.
I do travel to Dhaka now and then and keep hearing about this. BTW, the Indian High commissioner to BD, travels in a 7 series there. I have never figured out why, since the car is practically stationary in the notorious traffic of Dhaka. Guess its public money, so who cares..
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wont the Indian HC be travelling in a car that is [aid for by the Indian public. If yes do we want a HC to be in a car equivalent to the one that our PM travels in???
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

What is the tax on imported cars in Bangladesh? If that's not like our 110%, then even a 7 series would cost much lesser there (yet, that's not a justification for the HC driving around in a 7 series). Also, if the tax is low, it makes sense to see the cars like Subaru there. The manufacturers don't have to invest much!
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:22   #29

The rule in Bangladesh is that the cars have to be imported only form the country of origin. So they HAVE to import BMWs from germany etc.

BTW, BMW had a deal with the Indian govt where they supplied state cars. The HC car must be one of them. I dont see why the HC cant have one.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:58   #30
BHPian

@Cyrus43
For a simple logic that its equivalent of flaunting your money and getting stuck because of that. For anyone who has spent time in Dhaka traffic where even 2 KM can take up to 45 minutes, a 7 series or for that matter any other exec/luxury sedan is plain stupidity. And on top of it if you have a siren blaring in a traffic which you know is not going anywhere, tells me that someone is just not being smart enough.

@rohanjf
The tax is not like India, since they do not have a local car industry. Most of the imports are refurbished cars and as I understand the tax is around 60% on it, which is factored in the cost, since they do not have an alternate. Though there is a little less tax on the broken down Indicas, M800s etc which pass on legally or illegally from India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks