Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:35   #1
BHPian

Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin

Hi Guys , came across this post on one of the blogs .

Kia has announced the KIA GT concept . Look at the design , it looks inspired from the Citroen GT and the Aston Martin One 77 . The side view of the rear 3 quarter looks like a Spyker.

The split doors inspired from a Rolls or a bentley ?

Source : Review: 2011 Kia GT Concept
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin-2011_kia_gt_concept_sqxab.jpg  

Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin-2011_kia_gt_concept_odpdj.jpg  

Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin-2011_kia_gt_concept_fgtqg.jpg  

Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin-citroenconfirmsgt1_800x0w.jpg  

Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin-astonmartinone77.jpg  

Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin-astonmartinone772.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2011, 00:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: KIA copies the CItroen and the Aston Martin

Can't you like appreciate the overall design of the GT instead of just pointing out bits and pieces inspired from here and there? And what's more,its not a blatant copy or a tacky Chinese replica. Those inspirations do it a world of good. I mean these traits aren't completely unheard of in the automotive design field.

I feel that this concept is a classic in the making! The stance and the proportions are to die for. Way to go Kia!
AyAn! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 00:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

i agree with Ayan.

Why does the title has to be about copy? Maserati SUV also looks very similar to other SUV like KIA's and Audi's Q5. But its title doesn't say so.

A little bit of influence is always a good thing. What if it resembles something or other?

I would rather appreciate KIA's designers to come up with a stunning car. Good job Kia.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 07:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Hi Guys , came across this post on one of the blogs .

Kia has announced the KIA GT concept . Look at the design , it looks inspired from the Citroen GT and the Aston Martin One 77 . The side view of the rear 3 quarter looks like a Spyker.
When Citroen comes out with a design that is inspired by Aston-Martin, nobody bothers to utter a word. But, if Kia (and Hyundai) does the same thing, all of us jump onto the bandwagon and hail them as copycats. You have not even left out Spyker to the list of brands that Kia has copied. Come on bro, let's appreciate Kia (and Hyundai) for raising the game with every single launch and forging their way up the world order.

IMO, this Kia GT Concept looks terrific and going by Kia's recent launches, I presume there will be minimal changes to the production model. The magic of Mr. Peter Schreyer has well and truly transformed Kia.
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:42   #5
BHPian

Kia is now seems to be quite focussed on the designs, saw the Optima, Sorento etc. They all look great, especially the gorgeous alloys and the interiors at that budget.
I would be rather appreciative of their image-makeover strategy going in favor and that they had the guts to be inspired by the real class like the One-77, kudos Kia !!
AltoHoncho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:06   #6
BANNED

Everyone copies everyone else and hence they all look the same and therefore we will like everything. The world will be such a nice place.

On second thoughts, pointing out influences is not criticizing, criticizing the thread poster for the same points to fanboyism. The front especially is a blatant copy and doesn't befits a manufacturer which has global ambitions.
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
On second thoughts, pointing out influences is not criticizing, criticizing the thread poster for the same points to fanboyism. The front especially is a blatant copy and doesn't befits a manufacturer which has global ambitions.
It is NOT a blatant copy.Its inspiration at best. For all we know it might be an inspirational design element which seems to be catching on,much like BMW's subtle Hofmeister kink. Inspired or not,it is a good looking car,and there are no two ways about it.

And I think the quest for originality in car design has become more of a myth. Inspirations are the in thing. It how you manipulate the inspired form to make it not look like a blatant copy!
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:38   #8
BHPian

The front grill looks similar to the Ford concept, which was released in Frankfurt.

One more possibility for similar designs is, many a times the Designers or the Chief Designer switch jobs and they take their ideas with them. So, they might have some hangover of their previous design jobs.
AdityaLN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Gautam
Request the Admin to change title of this thread from 'KIA copies the Citroen and the Aston Martin' to 'KIA's GT concept inspired by Citroen and Aston Martin One 77?' before you have more guns pointed at you

Sometimes 'inspiration' is taken too far that it starts resembling!!

I don't understand why someone spends so much on design dept. and make something which reminds of something else every time you look at it
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:57   #10
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
The front grill looks similar to the Ford concept, which was released in Frankfurt.

One more possibility for similar designs is, many a times the Designers or the Chief Designer switch jobs and they take their ideas with them. So, they might have some hangover of their previous design jobs.
KIA's designer is Ex-Audi chief designer Peter Shryler . If KIA's design is called copies then what can we call Honda's 2012 CRV's rear which not looks inspired but replica of Volvo!!!
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
KIA's designer is Ex-Audi chief designer Peter Shryler . If KIA's design is called copies then what can we call Honda's 2012 CRV's rear which not looks inspired but replica of Volvo!!!
You really need not worry nbr. Since the new CR-V is a Honda, not many will notice the obvious inspiration and even if it's noticed, no one would accuse Honda. When it comes to Kia and Hyundai, we guys go out of the way in nitpicking things.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:01   #12
BHPian

Re: KIA copies the Citroen and the Aston Martin

I didnt really mean that COPY in a bad way . I've been an admirer of both the Korean car makers , the sister companies Kia and Hyundai . The way they have risen all over the world . INfact when I was in Dubai a few years ago one of the cars that I owned was a Kia Cerato . Pretty neat .

These cars , the korean cars , whatever people may think of them , I always found them absolutely VFM .

And its a good thing if they take cues from Citroen and Aston Martin or even Maserati or Jaguars , hell even Honda or TOyota . Who cares . All I care about is that I have a full featured car at a fraction of a price .

Have you guys checked out the Hyundai Equus . Absolutely stunning .

The Citroen IMHO is a very confused car . Personally I wouldnt spend my money on that weird contraption .

Note to the Mods : Please change the title of the thread to Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin
Old 24th September 2011, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: KIA copies the Citroen and the Aston Martin

Quote:
I didnt really mean that COPY in a bad way . I've been an admirer of both the Korean car makers , the sister companies Kia and Hyundai . The way they have risen all over the world .
I do not think all the comments above are aimed at you gautamkhadse. Those were against the general Hyundai-Kia bashing that seems to be going on, not only in this forum, but in many forums across the world. You would have observed that whenever any new launch by Hyundai or Kia is posted in our forum, the immediate comments from our members would be about who and how they copied the design from. I have seen people refering to everything from Audi to Mercedes-Benz to Aston-Martin to Ferrari being mentioned there.

Now, which car company do not have their designs inspired by something or the other? IMO, music and design are two things which can't come out without being inspired by something. So, any new car is going to have styling cues inspired and lifted by some or the other competitors. In case of Hyundai and Kia, we need to be happy because they are lifting design cues from the premium brands and selling it at not-so-premium prices.
Quote:
Note to the Mods : Please change the title of the thread to Kia Borrows design cues from Citroen and Aston Martin
You should have done this a lot before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks