Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 14:43   #16
BHPian

Re: 2013 Merc SL Brochure Leaked!

The new SL looks beautiful except the Head Lamps. It looks weird in the pictures. May look better with DRL lit up. Love the interiors, Classy! The gear shifter looks too good. I wish they had put a dial for the drive mode selector instead of the single button.

The car really has an aggressive character and looks different from the rest of the MB line-up, not like BMW and Audi models IMHO.

@ajmat +1, I will wait to see it for real.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:23   #17
BHPian

Re: 2013 Merc SL Official Brochure Leaked!

ajmat had pointed out that the 2013 SL is rather evolutionary. With just styling as a parameter, maybe yes, but as a package, 'evolutionary' doesn't seem a fair term to describe the car.

Disclaimer : I haven't ever driven a roadster, I'm not a die hard Merc enthusiast who has followed the evolution of the SL from 1952, so there's always the possibility I might be going about stuff that others would take for granted.

2013 Merc SL Official Brochure Leaked!-mercedesbenzslroadster2013aluminiumbodyshell01.jpg

The almost all aluminium shell crafted by the wizards at Bremen using welding techniques like Friction Stir welding, means the new SL 350 is lighter than its predecessor by 140 kgs and the SL 500 lighter than its predecessor by 125 kgs, and in this day and age, when the safety features added cumulatively each year keep increasing the weight of the car, the weight loss definitely seems to be one huge reason to not label the new SL 'evolutionary'.

2013 Merc SL Official Brochure Leaked!-mercedesbenzslroadstermagicfrontvision02.jpg

MAGIC VISION CONTROL : New Wiper/Wash system

I'm not sure if this tech is available on other brands, but its a first for Merc and is cool and makes so much sense on a roadster like the SL. The concept is simple. The laser cut wiper blade sprays the washer fluid, through minute discharge openings, just in front of the wiper blade from channels in the blade, in both directions of wipe.

Doesn't spray fluid on unsuspecting occupants, uses less water, and doesn't blind your vision momentarily as conventional systems do!

2013 Merc SL Official Brochure Leaked!-mercedesbenzslroadsterfrontbass03.jpg

Frontbass System

The FrontBass system is all about the bass loudspeakers being installed in the footwell in front of the driver and front seat passenger. While it isn’t possible in most other vehicles, the front longitudinal members in the front aluminium skeleton of the new SL provide the space needed for this arrangement. The loudspeakers are fitted directly in the openings in the firewall shown in the image above.

This is where my disclaimer comes in again. I've never experienced music in a roadster, and I can't vouch for how good the experience is in the SL, but this picture of the aluminium bodyshell, with the cavities for the front bass loudspeakers is definitely something that excites an engineer like me.

Saves space in the doors too, meaning more spaces for the designer to utilize in the interior.
theslayer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 16:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Merc SL Official Brochure Leaked!

Car reviews have started coming in some are comparing it's ride to Rolls and Bentleys!!

Mercedes SL first drive

The star is shining again,

GL next month, and then the S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks