Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)

Haha !! with the price of petrol rocketing sky high, they are bringing 1.4 and 1.6? is this a ploy to sell petrol cars in india?
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I would not place my bets on this one yet. It's just a news item, and nothing more at this time.

My suggestion is go and get the current version itself. You can always tune it for better performance if required.
The link says source is BS motoring. I still wouldn't trust it but i know i will and go crazy if they car actually comes out after i buy the 1.2.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Are we discussing Swift Sport, or just a sportier version of the Swift (similar to Polo 1.6)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But will the conservative MS actually go in for such a radical model?
My thoughts are on the same lines. IIRC, internationally the Swift Sport 1.6 has around 130+ bhp, can do 0-100 in less than 9 seconds, and comes with host of goodies and safety specs. At this point I doubt Maruti will bring it here, especially when it costs more than the Sx4 sedan.
And if they do, it will be a beginning of a revolution for the Indian motoring world
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:34   #19
BHPian

This would be awesome if they actually went through with it. i'd buy it. Lets hope this is more than just speculation and something concrete comes out of it. Cmon MSIL give "power" to the people!
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:52   #20
BHPian

A petrol sport is good but at the end of the day will it be profitable? looking at the current scenario, I guess not and profit in the end is everything. Very few will buy petrol cars unless Diesel is de-regularized

What I don't understand is that why can't they introduce the Swift MJD with VGT DDiS that is already plonked in the Ertiga/SX4. They have the engines ready, tuning needs to be tickled with a little and viola...we will have a really fast enthusiasts' car!
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is good news. if there is one company that can do it - it's Maruti. Despite being regarded as a maker of safe, middle-of-the-road cars, there is an element of outside-the-box thinking within the company. They were the first to launch an automatic transmission and the first to launch a two-door car (Zen Carbon).

Also with an F1 track now available in NCR, track days will become more frequent. We need cars that can be used for that. A Swift with a 100 bhp+ petrol engine, sports suspension and adequate safety is all that's really required. Those who want more can go for after market mods.

Half-hearted attempts such as plonking a more powerful engine in the same chasis - as VW did with the Polo - or making the suspension a little better but with the same engine - as Ford did with the Fiesta Sport - just serve to confuse customers and fail miserably in the market.

We need a true sport version for real petrol heads who know what they want. A car like this, while it can be your daily commute, isn't quite designed for that. This is something for people who value handling and power to enjoy on wide, good roads or on the track on the weekends. If its fuel economy you want buy a diesel mile muncher for everyday use.

Expensive? Yes, but then nobody said motorsport was cheap.

Last edited by StarScream : 3rd May 2012 at 12:57.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

am sure maruti will slap on lots of aggressive looking bodykit, bump up the price and release a "so called" sports model.
i doubt if maruti will go for a engine change. considering the low volumes / niche status that such a model will command. it is not only a cost of putting in an engine, but also upgrading the other aggregates such as brakes, suspension, clutch, exhaust, various plumbings, pipings, routings etc. add homologation costs and the general aversion of the indian public into buying high performance petrols and the swift sport suddenly does make a very tenuous business case !
Hence slap on all the bodykit in the world - give the car a face of a lion with the legs of a lamb and rake in the volumes.

Yes-Maruti can succeed if it goes in for a limited production run. Remember "Palio 1.6 GTX Sachin Tendulkar" version. Get a a suitable motorsport celebrity to endorse the sporty swift . have a limited production run. every car to be numbered and signed by the celebrity and a reasonable premium price tag to maintain exclusivity.
Basically sell on "exclusivity, halo-appeal, performance" . dont' look for volumes.
then it can click
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Diesel will be regularized, there is no second way about it. Its only a question of when. So in terms of the 2 door sport version, do bring it here.

While you are at it Maruti, please ensure more relaible brakes. And offer a convertible top. All at a ZDi price

I havent checked the link, but is its possible to make an artist rendering of a Swift with a convertible top if it doesnt exist?

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd May 2012 at 13:09.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:25   #24
BHPian

I hope this actually happens. I also hope it doesn't flop like the niche zen carbon models. If it does then it MS would never do a sport model again.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

I just checked out the UK Swift Sport site. The car with racing seats, Monroe shocks, 17 inch wheels, 1.6 lt engine and six-speed gearbox costs the equivalent of Rs. 11.6 lakhs in the UK. That sounds like a lot but not when one considers that the regular, entry-level Swift with a 1.2 lt petrol engine costs 9.2 lakhs in the UK. The diesel top-end almost costs the same as the Sport!

Considering that the car in India is half the UK price, a proper Sport version for India at 7-8 lakhs is a very viable option for Maruti, methinks.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:56   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread temporarily closed as it is mere speculation at this stage. This discussion will be reopened IF & WHEN there is more concrete information on the same.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 13:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti looking at Swift Sport for India

Local assembly of Swift Sport likely, to come with 140hp -1.4-litre Boosterjet engine. Expected to be launched globally sometime late 2017.

With the Indian market open to hot hatches,, like the Abarth from Fiat and the GTI from Volkswagen, Maruti are keen to get into the act too.

First to be tested is the Baleno RS with the boosterjet engine.

The Sport that’s headed here is likely to be the extremely aggressive version of the new generation Swift (code name YSD).

The standard version of the next gen swift will get the 1.0 L boosterjet engine. A localized version of both the boosterjet engines will make the cars very competitive in pricing and performance!

Expect the Next Gen of Maruti Suzuki cars to have these engines thanks to the demand in petrol vehicles!

The Suzuki Swift Sport (not coming to India)-0_468_700_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20161025013537_ssp.jpg

Quote:
On the cards is a more potent version of the 140hp K14C 1.4-litre Boosterjet engine already used in other Suzuki cars. This new engine will also be built at Maruti’sManesar plant, where it also builds the 1.0-litre Boosterjet engine. What will also help is that bothBoosterjet engines share a common architecture. But whereas the 1.0 is a three cylinder, the 1.4 is a four. It uses a slightly longer 82mm piston stroke (compared to 79.5mm for the 1.0 BoosterJet) and what’s interesting is that the compression ratio is also a bit lower, indicating a slightly higher boost pressure. The car will also get a stiffened chassis andharderand sportier springs and dampers that will help it put all that extra power down.

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th October 2016 at 14:21.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 18:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti looking at Swift Sport for India

Although I feel the news might finally be right, I doubt the engine choices mentioned here.

I feel the normal version will get the 1.2 K series, while the "Sport" will get the 1L Boosterjet as in the Baleno RS. Will be extremely delighted if we get the 1.4L Boosterjet as an option in the Sport though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 18:58   #29
BHPian

It's about time. Suzuki has been keeping such models away and showing step-motherly treatment to it's biggest market. Apart from the fact that a market exists for the sport model it would also up Maruti Suzuki's wow factor and connection with the younger demographic significantly.
chncar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 19:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

I felt this thread was bit of a Deja Vu, and here it is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rt-launch.html

4 years later, still the same insider news! Maruti has been 'looking' and 'contemplating' for so long, it's unbelievable.

EDIT: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ift-sport.html

Another from 10 years ago!

Last edited by ani_meher : 25th October 2016 at 19:31.
ani_meher is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks