Team-BHP - Mercedes S600 slams Rolls Phantom in a comparo!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes S600 slams Rolls Phantom in a comparo! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/13105-mercedes-s600-slams-rolls-phantom-comparo.html)

So C&D do a comparo between the S600 and the Rolls. I was surprised to see the S600 win this battle.

Article Linky

Among other things, the S600 does the 1/4 mile in the same time as a Lamborghini Murci!

GTO

i saw that too, but truely its a difficult comparison, with rolls you are getting more than just a little comfort..

this comparison would be just like comparing a Z06 to the F430 and then say Z06 would whop F430's or gallardo's @$$ in every single category...but still instead of an F430/Gallardo who would pick up a Z06...you might have then both but not just Z06...

so in this case, no matter how the S600 is in comparison to the rolls, i would rather have the rolls, but would love to have that S600 as well...

but no doubt those performance figures produced by S600 are crazy..i read this article in the magazine..and i was like ***...

:thumbs up

An S600 as fast as a Murcielago is still an S-class. It is not a Lamborghini or a Rolls Royce. Period.

A lesser car can be made to go as fast as a greater one, but when it comes to the end result, the greater one always wins.

I liked 2 things in the article "And when you fire up the 9-amplifier, 15-speaker stereo, it feels as if you’d taken up residence inside the $675,000 Steinway Alma-Tadema." and "Look 90 degrees right or left and all you’ll see is the reflection of a true aristocrat in the art deco mirrors — namely, you"

Yet to read the rest. Merc for me. Flashy yet safe with $$$.

Whats key out here is to understand the lack of differentiation among different price segments. For example, in 1990 - a $40,000 car rode much better than a $20,000 car. A lot more power. Had stuff like ABS / CD / Leathers etc. etc.

Now the gap has come so close that a $20,000 car has almost everything that a $40,000 car does (except for the image). The refinement, the lush, plush, leather and ABS / traction control factor. Bigger engines to match or beat the power of higher end models. Fully loaded with all amenities.

Therefore, the S600 may match or beat the Rolls in most aspects. But the Rolls has the image.....not necessarily more luxury, technology or amenities.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO

Therefore, the S600 may match or beat the Rolls in most aspects. But the Rolls has the image.....not necessarily more luxury, technology or amenities.

GTO

agree:

This reminds me of the comparo I read way back in 1989-90 when the Lexus LS 400 was first launched in UK and they compared it agains t the Rolls Royce Silver Spur.

the Lexus trounced the Roller comprehensively in most departments, but the road test (by 'Performance Car') summed it up as (if my memory serves me correctly):

"At teh end of the day, ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is a truly stunning automobile from Toyota. but the name Lexus LS 400 could stand for anything from your sewing machine to a computer, but the Rolls Royce Silver Spur could not stand for anything else"

I guess that explains the aura and mystique of a Roller

The worst thing about the S600 is that, for all the extra money you have spent above a normal S-class, the only visual clues outside are bigger wheels and tiny badges. Otherwise, so the normal punter, there is nothing to suggest you are in a special and very costly car, basking in the top-of-the-line model which makes a Roller look absurdly overpriced, and a 360 look slow.

But turn up in a Roller, and you are the god. There is little to surpass you in road presence, and you become the occasion.

These are such disparate cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
The worst thing about the S600 is that, for all the extra money you have spent above a normal S-class, the only visual clues outside are bigger wheels and tiny badges. Otherwise, so the normal punter, there is nothing to suggest you are in a special and very costly car, basking in the top-of-the-line model which makes a Roller look absurdly overpriced, and a 360 look slow.

But turn up in a Roller, and you are the god. There is little to surpass you in road presence, and you become the occasion.

These are such disparate cars.

Thats always been my problem and my dad's beef with this...he says why should you spend more money? just to get extra power?? thats y S600 wouldnt sell quite as many as the bentley flying spur would..

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
turn up in a Roller, and you are the god. There is little to surpass you in road presence, and you become the occasion.

Well said.
Look back all these years and you'll see the same story.
The Mercedes S Class, or for that matter, the BMW 7 Series and the Jaguar XJ have always been much better than Rolls Royces and Bentleys - cheaper, faster, technologically more advanced, easier to maintain, quieter, more reliable, etc. But, park a Rolls or Bentley next to any other car, and I mean any other car, and there's no doubt which car oozes unmatched class. That huge grill... oooh! Anything else looks like a "poor man's car" next to a Rolls.
Whatever Mercedes Benz (Maybach included) does, it'll still be just a Merc. It will never be a match for a Rolls Royce.
Which car would I like to be stepping out of at a fat cat party?
Undoubtedly a Rolls Royce Phantom!

IMHO the authors summed it up pretty well in the last sentence of the Phantom review: "Nobody needs this car. Everybody wants it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
IMHO the authors summed it up pretty well in the last sentence of the Phantom review: "Nobody needs this car. Everybody wants it."

i recently read the article in the Car & Driver magazine.
i was just about to mention the last sentence but you beat me to it.

if i had a choice, i'd go for the S-Class.
i'd love to own the Rolls-Royce but considering the areas that i park in, that could be a problem.. :)

Guys I look at this differently. Its the story of a wolf in sheeps clothing. I would rather have a "normal" looking car barring all attention. And when some1 really messes about show what it can do. I have personally seen the interiors of the Rolls and it does not fascinate me at all. But the S.....well its too gorgeous with all options.

according me the maybach is much more exclusive than the RR Phantom , there are so many special features like transparent or blind sunroof , first class airliner seat on the 62, ...........
I would go for the Maych , i have been in both car , the RR is nice but the maybach has got something more exclusive than the RR by BMW

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid

agree: X10 times!!
This couldn't be said more beautifully.

Atlast somebody has done a proper review. I mean the way it should be done!
Kudos! to whomever they are. And let them carry on doing this sort of wonderful reviews.clap:

The Phantom for me by any stretch. BUT,
look at it this way, your saying that these two aren't exactly comparable, so who of you guys would rather have like an F430 convert and an S rather than just the phantom???