Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 12:14   #1
BHPian

Have you programmed your car? Ford's SDK for cars

Ford has released an SDK for their Ford Sync system.

Ford’s open source software development kit(SDK) lets programmers create apps that work with the buttons on a Ford’s steering wheel and its in-car voice recognition program.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...a-ford-lately/

Note :- Mods, please move the thread to appropriate section as deemed proper.
Sedate is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 17:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, my friend has already been working in UK on this program and now with the new smartphones coming of age, the system will be made open to the community.

GM too has opened it on the same day. http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/07/gm-...-vehicle-apps/

The manufacturers wanting to open the system so as to crowdsource the IT

Cheers!
Old 9th January 2013, 18:20   #3
BHPian

Re: Have you programmed your car? Ford's SDK for cars

That is a cool find Sedate.

Ford as a company is known around the world for making very involving, FTD cars. Now with their open source SDK, the company will go a long way in enabling their car owners realize their dream of customizing their cars using the car's multi-function steering wheel/voice recognition system. Will definitely give them greater control over their respective cars and help them extract that more from the system.

I just hope there are elaborate safety checks/balances in-built at every stage to ensure at no stage is safety compromised. For modern day automobiles, that is paramount.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 9th January 2013 at 18:21.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
I just hope there are elaborate safety checks/balances in-built at every stage to ensure at no stage is safety compromised. For modern day automobiles, that is paramount.
I very highly doubt if they would have exposed safety related components with this SDK.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
I just hope there are elaborate safety checks/balances in-built at every stage to ensure at no stage is safety compromised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I very highly doubt if they would have exposed safety related components with this SDK.
Of course, they have thought about it well and as of now they don't allow to send data to car, you can only build apps by accessing the data. No interaction with ECU!

Source: TechCrunch
Quote:
One thing neither Ford nor any of its competitors will likely allow anytime soon, though, is for developers to send data back to the car and build applications that directly interact with a car’s systems. There is little danger in letting developers access data from the car, but sending back commands opens up a whole range of security (and liability) questions that simply make this a non-starter for car manufacturers.
Mods: I was thinking to start a new thread for such Auto specific SDK tools & mobile apps updates exclusively from auto manufacturers. This thread could be renamed to better represent generalized Software Updates for Auto industry/enthusiasts if possible.

Last edited by iSpoke : 11th January 2013 at 11:10.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Ford has released an SDK for their Ford Sync system.

Ford’s open source software development kit(SDK) lets programmers create apps that work with the buttons on a Ford’s steering wheel and its in-car voice recognition program.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...a-ford-lately/

Note :- Mods, please move the thread to appropriate section as deemed proper.
Thanks for the info Sedate.

Hope this will make things easier, without compromising on safety aspects. My car went for its 21K service and has come back reprogrammed with the display in German!!
Old 11th January 2013, 11:56   #7
BANNED

Ford Sync and their App link are Microsoft Products.

I think Ford and Microsoft want to Emulate a success story in Automotive Industry like what Android did it on mobile platform.

Not all Manufacturers like MS but they will prefer Android because of the ease and amount of customization available.

Hyundai and Kia are already made the move towards Android, and they are offering Google maps for their new products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks